Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #541 of 8,735
I just pulled the trigger on them through ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200568543476&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

More tubes the better I think those are the ones Jamato8 was talking about

May 21, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #543 of 8,735
Yes, RCA in Canada was made by Marconi, normally. The GE could be rebranded or not. I will have some real RCA Marconi from a friend coming and can compare to the images. 

May 23, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #546 of 8,735
Quote:
Yes, RCA in Canada was made by Marconi, normally. The GE could be rebranded or not. I will have some real RCA Marconi from a friend coming and can compare to the images. 

Would I be able to use 6BQ7 in the Lyr? I think I might've found some RCA Canada 6BQ7, but I don't know if these are the Marconi ones.

May 23, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #547 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:

Would I be able to use 6BQ7 in the Lyr? I think I might've found some RCA Canada 6BQ7, but I don't know if these are the Marconi ones.

Yes all the family of 6BZ7, 6BQ7A and one other can be used. Normally the Canada RCA is Marconi. In later years anything is possible but most tubes of this family are good sounding, IMO, and they are cheap enough that if you don't like them you aren't out much. 

May 23, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #548 of 8,735
Yes all the family of 6BZ7, 6BQ7A and one other can be used. Normally the Canada RCA is Marconi. In later years anything is possible but most tubes of this family are good sounding, IMO, and they are cheap enough that if you don't like them you aren't out much. 

I have left my RCA 6BZ7 in the LyR as well burned them in over the weekend I really am enjoying the sound kinda funny that such an inexpensive tube can sound so good.

May 23, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #549 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:

I have left my RCA 6BZ7 in the LyR as well burned them in over the weekend I really am enjoying the sound kinda funny that such an inexpensive tube can sound so good.

Supply and demand. I have used them off and on for a long time. I just hope they don't get popular for obvious reasons. The GE grey glass 6DJ8 I used to buy for 5 dollars because it was under the radar. Even a number of 6SN7's were cheap because it was made in some of the highest numbers of any tube. Again, plenty of supply to meet the demand but now of course the price has bone up on all of them. I would buy the 6SU7 Tungsol black glass for 8 to 10 dollars but I knew they were worth more.  I would hate to see a climbing of the price happen to the 6BZ7 family of tubes. It would take some of the fun out of it. 

May 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #551 of 8,735
Quote:
How important is it to buy matched pairs? What about tested NOS batches listed together but not specified as matched? Will same type and brand suffice?

I am wondering the same thing. Using 6N23P-EV's at the moment, they weren't specified as matched but sound fine to me. If it isn't a matched pair does that just mean that the tubes can have different gain or what?

May 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #553 of 8,735
Is there a big difference between 6BQ7A and ECC88/6922? There's such a difference in price it's hard to decide.

Depends on what type of sound you are looking for look back in the thread for some feelings on the sound of some tubes. . For me myself I have bought and sold tubes to try and find that sound Im looking for the RCA 6BQ7A has a nice sound to it has some 3d imaging going on. You can't go wrong picking up a pair of 6BQ7A's they only cost a few dollars. If you don't like them ohh well.

May 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #554 of 8,735
I think it was said a couple pages back (can't keep the threads straight now) that since the Lyr was self-biasing, as long as the tubes were of the same type, everything should be good; I would imagine them being from the same manufacturer would also make a difference, but I'd think keeping both tubes of the same make (6922/6922, etc) would be the biggest thing.

Quote:

I am wondering the same thing. Using 6N23P-EV's at the moment, they weren't specified as matched but sound fine to me. If it isn't a matched pair does that just mean that the tubes can have different gain or what?

May 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #555 of 8,735
I think it was said a couple pages back (can't keep the threads straight now) that since the Lyr was self-biasing, as long as the tubes were of the same type, everything should be good; I would imagine them being from the same manufacturer would also make a difference, but I'd think keeping both tubes of the same make (6922/6922, etc) would be the biggest thing.

Heres a good article explaining the misconception's of matched tubes

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-Matched-Tubes-6L6GC-EL34-5881_W0QQugidZ10000000007134035

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back