Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #511 of 8,735

Quote:
I changed my LCD-2 cable from stock to a Norse cable and upgraded my Tube Dac with a presnave reference tube the effect was a more resolving system. The Ge is very musical as Jamato8 said and with my system it evens things out
without losing any of the elements of the 23's that I like. I still have some Vintage seimens coming in as well as a Vintage Valvo CCA so it will be interesting to see if the Ge stays my go to tube.

Actually the GE's are at times hard to find there are none on ebay at this time but you can get the GE grey glass on ALO they have them right now for I think 19.00 a piece a bit high but I paid for an extra set so I had a backup.

You may be able to find them cheaper but I was too lazy to search any more

http://aloaudio.com/general-electric-smoked-glass-6dj8-6922-tube.html

As I mentioned a couple months ago, the GE 6DJ8/6922 is one of my very favorite tubes.  Ken at ALO turned me on to them.

May 19, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #513 of 8,735
The GE 6DJ8 was under the radar for a long time. I used to pick them up, all I wanted, for 5 dollars and sometimes less. Nice NOS in box. Many were made, so I think the current price is high but people are getting it. The 19 dollars appears to be reasonable as I have seen them go for more on ebay, as long as they are NOS. I have many in storage, I guess I am aging them. :^) 

Trying the 6N1P gold grid again. Very nice and smooth. A little less detail than some of the other tubes but rich sounding (must be the gold). 

May 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #514 of 8,735

Quote:
The GE 6DJ8 was under the radar for a long time. I used to pick them up, all I wanted, for 5 dollars and sometimes less. Nice NOS in box. Many were made, so I think the current price is high but people are getting it. The 19 dollars appears to be reasonable as I have seen them go for more on ebay, as long as they are NOS. I have many in storage, I guess I am aging them. :^) 

Trying the 6N1P gold grid again. Very nice and smooth. A little less detail than some of the other tubes but rich sounding (must be the gold). 

At $1,495.00 per ounce, I concur.

May 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #515 of 8,735

My 6N23P-EV Matched Pair Military Cryo also arrived today. They were perfectly packaged in environmentally sensitive materials, with the sticker above neatly affixed to the shrink wrap.

Of course, still not burnt in but it's immediate like! Very happy with these. The step up from stock JJ's to the Gold Lions was the biggest, but with these I feel like I have the high end details the GL's brought plus, the BASS is back! It's a more tubey sound but still has that discipline and quickness that the Lyr displays with all 3 tubes. Interestingly, I find the sound signature of the 3 tube sets I've tried (Stock, GL, Cryo) produces similar changes across each of the 3 phones I listen to: LCD-2, Denon 5000's, PS1000. 

I'm thinking I'll stick with these and have the GL's as a backup. I think the Schiity folks that designed the Lyr knew their market, and shipped it with a competent, cost-effective, easily obtainable tube that is by no means bad, knowing we freaks would be changing them anyway. You can own this machine for a song, and it will grow with you as your budget does. (With a lot of equipment, upgrading components only reveals flaws, with the Lyr that doesn't seem to be the case at all.)

Once you get into the better tubes I'm guessing it's just a matter of finding one that fits your preferences for sound signature. 

P.S. No, there wasn't really a Mr. Scary sticker on there, just did the pic as a thank you for his advice & tireless contributions to this forum.

May 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #517 of 8,735
Still great tubes...plenty of detail and euphonic to boot.

Quote:
well I guess I was right to wait for the dust to settle down, ended up getting the GE smoked glass instead of 6N23P-EVs. Cheaper this way too :)

May 20, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #518 of 8,735
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!  More great tubes!!!  Just got in a pair of Raytheon Brand 6BZ7's from an Ebay seller and they sound fantastic!  Now you want me to go find some GE smoked glass? 
eek.gif

WHAT AM I TO DO!?!  Curse you, Red Baron and MrScary!! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 20, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #519 of 8,735
Well you can't say the 6BZ7 types will bankrupt you. :G) At a few dollars each and being plentiful, you will have plenty for a long time. 

May 20, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #520 of 8,735
     Quote:
Well you can't say the 6BZ7 types will bankrupt you. :G) At a few dollars each and being plentiful, you will have plenty for a long time. 

True, but I just bought four of the GE Smoked Glass. 
redface.gif

I am pretty sure I'll be getting rid of a few tubes...Gold Lions anyone?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 20, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #521 of 8,735

Quote:

My 6N23P-EV Matched Pair Military Cryo also arrived today. They were perfectly packaged in environmentally sensitive materials, with the sticker above neatly affixed to the shrink wrap.

Of course, still not burnt in but it's immediate like! Very happy with these. The step up from stock JJ's to the Gold Lions was the biggest, but with these I feel like I have the high end details the GL's brought plus, the BASS is back! It's a more tubey sound but still has that discipline and quickness that the Lyr displays with all 3 tubes. Interestingly, I find the sound signature of the 3 tube sets I've tried (Stock, GL, Cryo) produces similar changes across each of the 3 phones I listen to: LCD-2, Denon 5000's, PS1000. 

I'm thinking I'll stick with these and have the GL's as a backup. I think the Schiity folks that designed the Lyr knew their market, and shipped it with a competent, cost-effective, easily obtainable tube that is by no means bad, knowing we freaks would be changing them anyway. You can own this machine for a song, and it will grow with you as your budget does. (With a lot of equipment, upgrading components only reveals flaws, with the Lyr that doesn't seem to be the case at all.)

Once you get into the better tubes I'm guessing it's just a matter of finding one that fits your preferences for sound signature. 

P.S. No, there wasn't really a Mr. Scary sticker on there, just did the pic as a thank you for his advice & tireless contributions to this forum.

hahahaha thanks man Im glad you like them yeah the cryo does do something to the tubes I noticed it over the vintage 23's that I got in there was more soundstage with the cryo's thanks!  :wink:

May 20, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #522 of 8,735

Quote:
     Quote:
True, but I just bought four of the GE Smoked Glass. 
redface.gif

I am pretty sure I'll be getting rid of a few tubes...Gold Lions anyone?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

HK thats what I do I is just buy tubes and sell them off if I don't care for them. I have a pretty good ebay profile. I sold off my Gold and White Amperex they went fast. The GL's went on this forum so never worry about selling off your tubes :)
especially when you get into pricey tubes like the ones I have coming in if I don't like them just throw them back on ebay.

May 20, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #524 of 8,735
Just put my Gold lions back in. I swear the Lyr has changed character since the early days when I first put them in. They no longer have the veiled sound. Glad that I didn't sell them. Never listener to the Decemberists before but loving their sound through the Lions.

May 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #525 of 8,735
I have the 6N23P-EV Military Cyro's in my Lyr now and they sound fantastic with my setup. I'm always looking for a sweeter sound so I'm not sure if I should just shut-up and enjoy my music, or do I give these GE smoked glass a try. By the time I swap the tubes and compare different tube the a/b/c/d/e/ hehehe comparison is a little off.

I have a Norse cable arriving soon. I'm going to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back