Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #526 of 8,735
I have the 6N23P-EV Military Cyro's in my Lyr now and they sound fantastic with my setup. I'm always looking for a sweeter sound so I'm not sure if I should just shut-up and enjoy my music, or do I give these GE smoked glass a try. By the time I swap the tubes and compare different tube the a/b/c/d/e/ hehehe comparison is a little off.

I have a Norse cable arriving soon. I'm going to see what happens.

When I got my Norse cable it brightened things up and then with my tube that I changed in my DAC I went back to the GE Greys they have a warmer sound than the 23's which balanced everything out..
I didn't care for the GE's until I made the changes just like everything in Audio one change in the link affects the outcome.

May 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #527 of 8,735
Last tubes for me for a while, really.  Just ordered a set of Raytheon 6BQ7A to play with.  Pretty cheap, so no big deal if they don't work out.

So far, I'm up to: 6922 Gold Lions (sold), Voshkod 1970s 6N1P tubes (haven't had a chance to listen to), 6DJ8 GE gray glass, 6922 orange Amperex PQ, E88CC Brimar, and now the Raytheon 6BQ7A.  I may be missing a set somewhere in there.  Do need to pick up a set of 6N23P tubes at some point, too.

I think I've spent as much on tubes as I did on the amp itself...

May 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #528 of 8,735
Initial impressions of the Sylvania 6BQ7a's are that they are punchy, dynamic and a little bright. Definitely no veil. A little raw, but fun.

Waiting on the Valhalla tubes to compare.

May 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #529 of 8,735
Initial impressions of the Sylvania 6BQ7a's are that they are punchy, dynamic and a little bright. Definitely no veil. A little raw, but fun.

Waiting on the Valhalla tubes to compare.

YOu should have gotten some vintage 6N1p's off of ebay they sound nice. The Schiit 6N1p's they sound not only raw but like Schiit IMHO.

May 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #530 of 8,735
I'm really impressed with the 6BZ7's.  They have a bit of a tube sound but are also detailed and have a wonderful dynamic range.  The GE Grey Glass will have to really shine 
wink_face.gif
 to upstage these for my setup.
I do want to thank MrScary (and others) again for introducing me to some of these amazing tubes.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 20, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #531 of 8,735
You have to get some hours on the tubes. That is true of most any of them. The 6BZ7 will smooth out but retain the open and dynamic sound, IMO. I also find them fairly neutral. My preference is the black plate vs the grey plate. 

May 20, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #532 of 8,735
Quote:
You have to get some hours on the tubes. That is true of most any of them. The 6BZ7 will smooth out but retain the open and dynamic sound, IMO. I also find them fairly neutral. My preference is the black plate vs the grey plate. 

Well, I got at least eight hours last night as the music lulled me to sleep. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #533 of 8,735

Quote:
Well, I got at least eight hours last night as the music lulled me to sleep. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I am finding the RCA 6BZ7 black plate I am using right now are opening up very well. I am getting 3D type of imaging and very good layering and transparency. Buena Vista Social Club, cut 1, is beautifully laid out before me. I would like a slightly less steel quality to the guitar but this can also be an artifact of the HE-500. I will have to listen again with the LCD-2. Interesting. The HE-500 layer better than the LCD-2. There is more 3D with the HE-500. I hadn't noticed this so much before. I also note though that many phones need a little bit of warm up, just like speakers. I know Dennis Had, who used to run Cary Audio, never did any real listening with speakers until they had been on with music for at least an hour. 

May 20, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #534 of 8,735
I am finding the RCA 6BZ7 black plate I am using right now are opening up very well. I am getting 3D type of imaging and very good layering and transparency. Buena Vista Social Club, cut 1, is beautifully laid out before me. I would like a slightly less steel quality to the guitar but this can also be an artifact of the HE-500. I will have to listen again with the LCD-2. Interesting. The HE-500 layer better than the LCD-2. There is more 3D with the HE-500. I hadn't noticed this so much before. I also note though that many phones need a little bit of warm up, just like speakers. I know Dennis Had, who used to run Cary Audio, never did any real listening with speakers until they had been on with music for at least an hour. 

hahahaha you made me put them back in. I put the RCA 6BZ7 back in to listen to some Dave Matthews and I am now noticing what you are saying there is a 3d imaging to these tubes that I missed on my fast first listen. I'm enjoying listening to them think I will let them burn in a bit I wish they were a bit warmer but I still get a bit of warmth from my tube dac.

May 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #535 of 8,735
I changed the signature of my source by swapping out the more neutral earth hdam in my dac's output with the warmer moon hdam. With the stock JJ's it's incredibly smooth but also a more forward and textured presentation. Midrange is more energetic but the bass may be a tad smeared and micro-details less apparent compared to the more clinical earth sound.

From the accounts here, it seems the RCA's may be what I need for the slight refinement I'm after in this very musical signature I greatly prefer. It's great they're cheap but overseas shipping is a killer and a lot of ebay listings don't look very enticing. I don't really understand the test results (although most of them seem to show mismatches and degraded values). Would it be more prudent to risk buying the cheaper ones than to pull the trigger on the more expensive listings? I'm starting to think that the only way to determine their quality (regardless of cost) is to slot them into the Lyr and find out for myself.

I also want to try some Amperex Orange Globes, Bugle Boys and GE smoked glass. Can anyone suggest a reliable source where I can kill all these birds with the same stone?

May 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #536 of 8,735
I changed the signature of my source by swapping out the more neutral earth hdam in my dac's output with the warmer moon hdam. With the stock JJ's it's incredibly smooth but also a more forward and textured presentation. Midrange is more energetic but the bass may be a tad smeared and micro-details less apparent compared to the more clinical earth sound.

From the accounts here, it seems the RCA's may be what I need for the slight refinement I'm after in this very musical signature I greatly prefer. It's great they're cheap but overseas shipping is a killer and a lot of ebay listings don't look very enticing. I don't really understand the test results (although most of them seem to show mismatches and degraded values). Would it be more prudent to risk buying the cheaper ones than to pull the trigger on the more expensive listings? I'm starting to think that the only way to determine their quality (regardless of cost) is to slot them into the Lyr and find out for myself.

I also want to try some Amperex Orange Globes, Bugle Boys and GE smoked glass. Can anyone suggest a reliable source where I can kill all these birds with the same stone?

I doubt you find all of those in one location good luck. In regards to the RCA's I just bought two sets one 9.00 NOS matched set and a 5.00 NOS set that wasn't tested off ebay.. The RCA's that I bought came from NJ so the wait wasn't horrendous like it is me waiting on the Seimens CCA's and Valvo CCA's
For a musical presentation the GE Grey glass is what you are looking for you can get them from ALO the link is up in the thread about a page or so back.

May 20, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #540 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back