Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #571 of 8,735
Quote:
Quote:
I was actually pondering picking those up, but I went with these guys instead: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=290565679624&si=i8X1HoAprjzmpUPv%252B0J6WOMoLuk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=290565678140&si=i8X1HoAprjzmpUPv%252B0J6WOMoLuk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT, and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230618211125&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT.

Yeah I got the NOS tubes when I ordered I don't remember through whom now that ebay doesn't let you see the won list which is ridiculous.

I think if you go under the "Purchased" tab, it'll allow you to view purchases up to a year back (might be more), although I think the description gets deleted after a certain amount of time.
Quote:
I've been following this thread but I don't really think I've seen anyone address this question.

Are there any tubes that turn the Lyr into a "wire with gain"?

I may be in the market for a wire with lots of gain soon and the Lyr seems to be offer the best bang for the buck.  I'm a little concerned about the tubes though.  I've already got some tube gear and the "flavor" it adds seems to be hit or miss for my tastes, great with some things and a disappointment with others.

I'm hesitant to say anything here, since my experience with amps isn't huge, but the Lyr doesn't seem to add much at all to the music, in terms of "tube-ality".  I know people like to go on about the smoothness of tubes and all that, and while I find the Lyr musical, it certainly doesn't have any oversaturation for me (at least, with my LCD-2s and the majority of my tubes).  It's not as hard-edged as the solid state amps I've heard, but (subjective to my ears) the Lyr veers very close to neutral for me.  I listen to a huge variety of music, and there's nothing I've found that doesn't play well with the Lyr.

The tube swapping I've done to date tends to have much more of an effect on overall impact (the better tubes give a more delineated "punch outline" of different instruments), soundstage changes, overall instrument separation, and clearing up highs.

May 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #572 of 8,735
Quote:
I've been following this thread but I don't really think I've seen anyone address this question.

Are there any tubes that turn the Lyr into a "wire with gain"?

I may be in the market for a wire with lots of gain soon and the Lyr seems to be offer the best bang for the buck.  I'm a little concerned about the tubes though.  I've already got some tube gear and the "flavor" it adds seems to be hit or miss for my tastes, great with some things and a disappointment with others.

x2 - I'm interested in this as well.

May 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #574 of 8,735
I ordered some RCA 6BQ7As and am currently working out a deal on some Amperex Orange Globes. Although, I should probably be more impatient about the Lyr finally coming tomorrow.

You will love the LyR the orange globes are ok tubes you should love the RCA's they have somewhat of a 3d sound stage to them.. Have fun :D

May 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #575 of 8,735
I think if you go under the "Purchased" tab, it'll allow you to view purchases up to a year back (might be more), although I think the description gets deleted after a certain amount of time.

I'm hesitant to say anything here, since my experience with amps isn't huge, but the Lyr doesn't seem to add much at all to the music, in terms of "tube-ality".  I know people like to go on about the smoothness of tubes and all that, and while I find the Lyr musical, it certainly doesn't have any oversaturation for me (at least, with my LCD-2s and the majority of my tubes).  It's not as hard-edged as the solid state amps I've heard, but (subjective to my ears) the Lyr veers very close to neutral for me.  I listen to a huge variety of music, and there's nothing I've found that doesn't play well with the Lyr.

The tube swapping I've done to date tends to have much more of an effect on overall impact (the better tubes give a more delineated "punch outline" of different instruments), soundstage changes, overall instrument separation, and clearing up highs.

Have you tried the GE grey glass? IMHO they have a very musical sound to them I know others have the same sentiment.

May 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #576 of 8,735
Yep...they're good, but just a little too thin for me.  Very nice top end and imaging, but the mids are a little too lean for a lot of my music.

I keep coming back to the Brimar tubes...makes me wish I had enough money to buy a set of Mullards, too.

Quote:
Have you tried the GE grey glass? IMHO they have a very musical sound to them I know others have the same sentiment.

May 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #577 of 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I'm worried about is the fact that it apparently changes so much with the tubes.  Their aren't that many different "flavors" of dead flat FR and inaudible distortion.

May 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #578 of 8,735
What I'm worried about is the fact that it apparently changes so much with the tubes.  Their aren't that many different "flavors" of dead flat FR and inaudible distortion.

I don't know I do know that I just tube roll. I have several sets coming in to try out, expensive ones ouch! that burned my pocketbook again. I don't understand the distortion that you speak of. Please explain :D

May 24, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #579 of 8,735
Honestly, a lot of the tube changes are very low-level - a tweak here and there, but nothing that drastically (or even moderately) changes the overall sound.  Listening to some Nightwish - which I've seen in concert - with the Lyr and LCD-2 is very close to what I heard in person standing in front of the stage.

Quote:

May 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #580 of 8,735
Quote:
I don't know I do know that I just tube roll I have several sets coming in to try out expensive ones ouch that burned my pocketbook again. I don't understand the distortion that you speak of. Please explain
biggrin.gif

If a pair of tubes sound different then at least one of them has to adding something to the input signal that wasn't there originally, i.e. distortion.  Its possible for the distortion to be so low its completely inaudible which is usually called "transparent" and that's what I'm looking for.  It wouldn't be a "wire with gain" otherwise.

May 24, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #581 of 8,735
Honestly, a lot of the tube changes are very low-level - a tweak here and there, but nothing that drastically (or even moderately) changes the overall sound.  Listening to some Nightwish - which I've seen in concert - with the Lyr and LCD-2 is very close to what I heard in person standing in front of the stage.

I humbly disagree I have tried now about 10 sets of tubes and the difference between lets say a 6N1p and the GE Greyglass or the RCA's is pretty drastic IMHO, now saying that everyone has a different setup so the changes may not be as drastic for some.

May 24, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #582 of 8,735
Just came across these if anyone's interested:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=6DJ8+Mullard&_sacat=0&_odkw=E88CC+British&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313#http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-Mullard-UK-6DJ8-ECC88-double-triode-valves-/380342081387?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item588e27976b&vil=1

They're used, but at that price, may be worth trying out.

Ok, sorry.. scratch that... even though I've already got a box of various 6922-types to play with, I couldn't resist and bought them.

-Mike

May 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #583 of 8,735
Just came across these if anyone's interested:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=6DJ8+Mullard&_sacat=0&_odkw=E88CC+British&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313#http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-Mullard-UK-6DJ8-ECC88-double-triode-valves-/380342081387?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item588e27976b&vil=1

They're used, but at that price, may be worth trying out.

Ok, sorry.. scratch that... even though I've already got a box of various 6922-types to play with, I couldn't resist and bought them.

-Mike

Well you go dog!! hahaha

May 24, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #584 of 8,735
Right but even between all the various tubes, you still have the same base sound signature of the Lyr; the tubes just enhance certain aspects of it.  Compared to the stock tubes yeah, there's a big difference with nice NOS tubes, but once I started hopping between various NOS tubes, things settled down into more minute changes.

Quote:
Quote:

I humbly disagree I have tried now about 10 sets of tubes and the difference between lets say a 6N1p and the GE Greyglass or the RCA's is pretty drastic IMHO, now saying that everyone has a different setup so the changes may not be as drastic for some.

May 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #585 of 8,735
Right but even between all the various tubes, you still have the same base sound signature of the Lyr; the tubes just enhance certain aspects of it.  Compared to the stock tubes yeah, there's a big difference with nice NOS tubes, but once I started hopping between various NOS tubes, things settled down into more minute changes.

Yeah but that's why you tube roll is for those subtle changes that makes your audio chain complete for you :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back