Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #601 of 8,735
MrScary, seems like you've tried everything from the cheap to expensive.  Out of curiosity, have tried any of the Mullards and how do they hold up against the under $20 set of tubes.   I have some Grey Glass and GE 6BZ7 tubes on the way.  Having a lot of fun trying out these affordable tubes but always thinking the high-end NOS tubes would be just be super amazing.  I don't have any friends with hifi equipment so forget about hearing expensive tubes (Mullard, Amperex PQ, etc.) to get a feel for them prior to buying.

May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #602 of 8,735
MrScary, seems like you've tried everything from the cheap to expensive.  Out of curiosity, have tried any of the Mullards and how do they hold up against the under $20 set of tubes.   I have some Grey Glass and GE 6BZ7 tubes on the way.  Having a lot of fun trying out these affordable tubes but always thinking the high-end NOS tubes would be just be super amazing.  I don't have any friends with hifi equipment so forget about hearing expensive tubes (Mullard, Amperex PQ, etc.) to get a feel for them prior to buying.

Well Jamato8 has more experience with tubes. I haven't rolled the Mullards in my Lyr yet but have tried the White label Amperex and Gold label Amperex which there are many variants I did not care for those two they went right back on ebay.
I have some expensive Seimens CCA's and Phillips Valvo CCA's coming in soon so I should be able to give you a run down of those two. I have a mullard Au7 that is in my tube DAC right now and it sounds real nice. Ask Jamato8 what he thinks of the Mullards.
I know he has tried them in different equipment.

May 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #603 of 8,735
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread#post_7410856

These are by far the best tube I've found out of the 4 I have tried.  Blind tests were done between myself and forum user Wedge.  We could always pick them out when doing L and R channel testing.  They just stand out of the crowd and once you go CV2492 you can't go back!

May 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #605 of 8,735
Quote:
... But given that any tube that is listed as an alternative in this thread is an improvement over the stock JJ's.No the JJ's are not horrible just close to it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't find them horrible at all with my LCD-2's.  I just find it surprising that both Schiit (Lyr) and Cavalli (Liquid Fire) would release their amps with stock tubes that are close to horrible.  The Cavalli in particular is getting rave reviews with its stock JJ's - which, as far as I can tell, are identical to the ones in the Lyr.

May 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #607 of 8,735
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't find them horrible at all with my LCD-2's.  I just find it surprising that both Schiit (Lyr) and Cavalli (Liquid Fire) would release their amps with stock tubes that are close to horrible.  The Cavalli in particular is getting rave reviews with its stock JJ's - which, as far as I can tell, are identical to the ones in the Lyr.

OK Horrible is harsh they just do not do the Lyr justice is a better term to use. If you like the JJ's all the power to you. Tube amps have a wonderful attribute the ability to tune the sound to ones liking and for me that does not include the JJ's. Many others feel the same way on this thread so its not some epihany.

May 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #609 of 8,735
Quote:
IMHO, I find this to be basically the case with the Lyr and its stock tubes.  Some folks here appear to have ears equivalent to an Owl's in resolution but to my mere human ears, I find the Lyr very neutral and transparent. 
smile.gif

Cool.  Thanks.

May 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #610 of 8,735

I don't have a pair to try in the Lyr yet (on the lookout), but a really nice tube that I've used in other gear is an RCA 6DJ8 from Great Britain, made by Mullard.   I picked up a single tube last year for $20 and loved the sound.  A bit warm, full, great lows, smooth mids and highs.  I had picked up a cheap Bravo amp on eBay to play around with, modded the heck out of it, and with that 6DJ8 in it, was pretty amazed at just how good it sounded.

I've also ordered a pair of  Matsushita/National PCC88 tubes from Upscale Audio to try out, not the cheapest, but not very expensive, either.

-Mike

May 25, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #611 of 8,735

I don't have a pair to try in the Lyr yet (on the lookout), but a really nice tube that I've used in other gear is an RCA 6DJ8 from Great Britain, made by Mullard.   I picked up a single tube last year for $20 and loved the sound.  A bit warm, full, great lows, smooth mids and highs.  I had picked up a cheap Bravo amp on eBay to play around with, modded the heck out of it, and with that 6DJ8 in it, was pretty amazed at just how good it sounded.

I've also ordered a pair of  Matsushita/National PCC88 tubes from Upscale Audio to try out, not the cheapest, but not very expensive, either.

-Mike

Cool more tubes to play with let us know how they sound I have to block ebay I think I want to buy buy buy hahahaha :D

May 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #612 of 8,735
Well I searched the world for over a week and found two sets of RCA Canadian 6BQ7's if they do not like make me dance around in circles I'm going to
burrow like a mole into Jamato8's tube storage and have my way {{Laughs}}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back