Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #586 of 8,735
Would like to ask if the Schiit Lyr  or Asgard would be more suited with the HD800?  
I am looking to get a more dynamic sound on the HD800 and yet retain the soundstage.
Does the Schiit Lyr give more emphasis on the mids for the HD800? I have seen
many comments it goes well with the Lcd2 so would like some opinions with the HD800.

May 24, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #587 of 8,735
Would like to ask if the Schiit Lyr  or Asgard would be more suited with the HD800?  
I am looking to get a more dynamic sound on the HD800 and yet retain the soundstage.
many comments it goes well with the Lcd2 so would like some opinions with the HD800.

Depends on the tubes you run in it out of the box the stock tubes do not have good mids (Lyr) But I have never tried the Lyr with the HD800's. The Gold Lions do have good mids many people like these tubes they are a bit expensive about 100.00.
As far as the Asgard never heard it

May 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #588 of 8,735

Depends on the tubes you run in it out of the box the stock tubes do not have good mids (Lyr) But I have never tried the Lyr with the HD800's. The Gold Lions do have good mids many people like these tubes they are a bit expensive about 100.00.
As far as the Asgard never heard it

I'd recommend checking out the 6moons review of the Lyr. They were very positive about the Lyr/HD800 combo. I think they are a great match too FWIW.

May 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #589 of 8,735
Quote:
I've been following this thread but I don't really think I've seen anyone address this question.

Are there any tubes that turn the Lyr into a "wire with gain"?

I may be in the market for a wire with lots of gain soon and the Lyr seems to be offer the best bang for the buck.  I'm a little concerned about the tubes though.  I've already got some tube gear and the "flavor" it adds seems to be hit or miss for my tastes, great with some things and a disappointment with others.

IMHO, I find this to be basically the case with the Lyr and its stock tubes.  Some folks here appear to have ears equivalent to an Owl's in resolution but to my mere human ears, I find the Lyr very neutral and transparent. 
smile.gif

May 25, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #590 of 8,735
IMHO, I find this to be basically the case with the Lyr and its stock tubes.  Some folks here appear to have ears equivalent to an Owl's in resolution but to my mere human ears, I find the Lyr very neutral and transparent. 
smile.gif

I think it depends on the phones you are using if I slap on my old HD650's then I can't tell the difference between switching tubes near as much as I can with the LCD-2's. But given that any tube that is listed as an alternative in this thread is an improvement over the stock JJ's.No the JJ's are not horrible just close to it.

May 25, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #591 of 8,735
As the Lyr has broken in I find it easier to tell the difference between tubes. Right now I am listening to some nice 1969 6N23P. They are immediate in sound, meaning a little closer and the soundfield is not as large but the tone and dynamics is very enjoyable. 

May 25, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #592 of 8,735
As the Lyr has broken in I find it easier to tell the difference between tubes. Right now I am listening to some nice 1969 6N23P. They are immediate in sound, meaning a little closer and the soundfield is not as large but the tone and dynamics is very enjoyable. 

hahaha thats funny Im listening to my 60's 6N23p's as well I have a slight sibilance going on with the RCA's and heavy metal that I can't seem to shake accept to switch tubes.

May 25, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #593 of 8,735
Mental, very mental. 

The 6N23P's are warmer than the 6BZ7's. I find the 6B's to be a little more 3D though. That is the fun of tubes. I would love to have a Lyr with my Sylvania balloon mesh plates from 1931. The best tube I have ever heard  but they just wouldn't quite work. I have around 12 NOS pairs of these. Insanely hard to find in NOS now but I am well stocked. I even have some Tung sol engraved base from the early 30's. All of the Sylvanias are engraved base. I probably have around 40 NOS in 127's but that is another story. 

May 25, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #594 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking at  6BZ7 tubes at ebay. Can anyone please help with a link to some that looks good. Maybe from a seller you think is reliable?

The only one I saw for the RCA's is this one none of them have been tested but you get like 7 tubes so you should get a few good ones out of the lot. None of the RCA's have been tested that are on ebay at the moment for what the testing is worth

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-NOS-6BQ7A-6BZ7-6BS8-Tube-Lot-Vacuum-Radio-Vintage-7-/170643238244?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27bb212d64

Quote:
I was actually pondering picking those up, but I went with these guys instead: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=290565679624&si=i8X1HoAprjzmpUPv%252B0J6WOMoLuk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=290565678140&si=i8X1HoAprjzmpUPv%252B0J6WOMoLuk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT, and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230618211125&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT.

Cheers thanks for the links. I've made an offer to the seller on these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230618211125&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT.&clk_rvr_id=234955140292&afsrc=1#ht_1864wt_1100

May 25, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #595 of 8,735
I wouldn't pay any more than 5 dollars a each and they can be found for less but still two tubes for 10 dollars and 4 dollars shipping isn't bad. 

Wow, I am really enjoying the 6N23P's with some remastered and very good Elton John. Great depth and separation and plenty of dynamics and spatial information. Very fun. 

May 25, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #596 of 8,735
What recommendation will be on tubes with Lyr for the Hifiman HE-4? I want more dynamics, mids to be a little more forward than with default HE-4 signature, good impact, and a liquid highs(maybe just not harsh). Thanks.

May 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #597 of 8,735

Quote:
What recommendation will be on tubes with Lyr for the Hifiman HE-4? I want more dynamics, mids to be a little more forward than with default HE-4 signature, good impact, and a liquid highs(maybe just not harsh). Thanks.

LOL...you're not asking TOO much.
tongue_smile.gif

I'd suggest buying HE-500's.

May 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #598 of 8,735

Quote:

[size=medium]
I've only tried 6N1P and 6N23P but I think one of these will help with at least bringing the mids more forward on the HE-4. I like 6N23P the best with the HE-6, those tubes gives drums excellent impact.
[/size]

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #599 of 8,735
I can learn from you guys on how to barter.  I paid the $7.90 per tube last week for the same ones on Ebay that ZorgDK is waiting to get for $5 or so.  Mainly because I didn't want to wait for a response and I was eager to try these out this upcoming holiday weekend.

Jamato8, I see you have some amazing headphones in your system:  HE-6, HE-500, LCD-2, HD-650, etc and the expensive Whiplash Twag.  Do you think the manufacturers of those headphones and cables are charging a bit more than they are worth by a given percentage whether it's 5%, 10%, 15%, 30%, etc.  But you are definitely less forgiving for the Ebay seller who has to pay fees to paypal/Ebay.  Seems like you wouldn't pay $6 for a tube you consider to be worth $5.  I understand your principle of not over paying but it's at the low-end rather than for high-end gear.  I guess we have no power in negotiating price for headphones so the only power we have is to lower demand (which is not going to happen because we like our hifi equipment).

Is there a good guide or website for the price of NOS tubes?  I doubt it because NOS inventory is so scattered among sellers.  For photography, I usually go to KEH to see what the fair used price for camera equipment in various conditions.  I take that KEH price and maybe deduct 10-20% when I go to Ebay or Craigslist to search for the same item.  

I may have paid $1-3 more than I should have for the GE 6BZ7 which is no biggie but for higher-end tubes seems like the price is reflective of the demand and not many opportunities to use a "best offer" approach. 

Quote:
I wouldn't pay any more than 5 dollars a each and they can be found for less but still two tubes for 10 dollars and 4 dollars shipping isn't bad. 

Wow, I am really enjoying the 6N23P's with some remastered and very good Elton John. Great depth and separation and plenty of dynamics and spatial information. Very fun. 

May 25, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #600 of 8,735

hahaha now I remebmer why I like the 23's so much same here got rid of my sibilance on some heavy metal that I was listening to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back