Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #331 of 8,735
In defense of the Schiit 6N1P's.... I am still using them and really like them in combination with my dacmagic and HE6.  I am using silver RCA cables and feeding the Dacmagic 24/96 optical from my Mac. 

Could it be that something in your system is causing the sharp treble besides the Schiit tubes?  Either that or my ears have lost their edge or one of my components is softening the treble.  I have only tried 4 dacs so far within my system and they are all relative entry models.  I have tried a Audio-GD Fun with the Wolfson 8741, an ibasso D12 with the twin 8740 chips, a Matrix fed via Hiface usb converter and now finally the Dacmagic on optical.  The DacMagic has the nicest bass tightness and extension and treble felt equivalent to the matrix.

I am hanging out for the new Schiit dac to enable the DacMagic to be retired.  I wonder if I will still like the Schiit tubes then???  :)

I still think that for $20 the Schiit tubes are an auto purchase whilst researching Russian 6N23's etc.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think Skylab is right... BUT... you have to burn the JJ's in with music for about 120 hours before they open up and perform like they are capable of doing. If you are making your hard fast "give up on 'em" judgment before about 120 hours, you are missing what the JJ's can do. Different tubes require different break in time... just as amp circuits are different. But, my general rule over all my years with tube amps, and even with solid state, you should burn in with real music... especially "Big Band" type with all those horns.

I have the Gold Lions and the Schiit 6N1P's coming tomorrow and the day after. I'm anxious to see what they can do against a burned in set of stock Lyr's.

By the way, I was quite disappointed with the Lyr at 100 hours, compared to my Little Dot Mk IVSE, driving my HE-5LE's. But, at about 115 to 120 hours, the Lyr suddenly became a different amp... a good amp! I'm anxious to see how it compares with these next two set of tubes.

The JJ;s just don't sound good in the Lyr I put on almost 200 hours on them and they still stank they have recessed mids good bass and edgy treble.

You chose two of the tubes that the are not a good fit for the Lyr by general consensus .the Gold Lions sound fair but are too mid centric I put over 100 hours on them.. and the 6N1p's Schiits are just horrible nasty grany tubes they are new batch 6N1p's and just don't have the sound
that the older 60's and some 70's 6N1P's have.. Now given my following statement you may have equipment that accommodates the said tubes.

May 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #332 of 8,735
In defense of the Schiit 6N1P's.... I am still using them and really like them in combination with my dacmagic and HE6.  I am using silver RCA cables and feeding the Dacmagic 24/96 optical from my Mac. 

Could it be that something in your system is causing the sharp treble besides the Schiit tubes?  Either that or my ears have lost their edge or one of my components is softening the treble.  I have only tried 4 dacs so far within my system and they are all relative entry models.  I have tried a Audio-GD Fun with the Wolfson 8741, an ibasso D12 with the twin 8740 chips, a Matrix fed via Hiface usb converter and now finally the Dacmagic on optical.  The DacMagic has the nicest bass tightness and extension and treble felt equivalent to the matrix.

I am hanging out for the new Schiit dac to enable the DacMagic to be retired.  I wonder if I will still like the Schiit tubes then???  :)

I still think that for $20 the Schiit tubes are an auto purchase whilst researching Russian 6N23's etc.

Once you put in the 23's you will never put the newer batch of 6N1P's back in :wink: IM not saying I cant live with the sound of the Schiit tubes Im just saying they have a graniness to them that may go away after a few hundred hours but the 23's stomp the 6N1P's. Im evaluating the Amperex white label vintage tubes that came in today I hope to have my thoughts on them as I listen for a couple hours.. I just got my first bad batch of ebay tubes I ordered some 60's 6N1p's and one was bad so into the garbage they go... ;(

May 10, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #333 of 8,735

Quote:
Once you put in the 23's you will never put the newer batch of 6N1P's back in
wink.gif
IM not saying I cant live with the sound of the Schiit tubes Im just saying they have a graniness to them that may go away after a few hundred hours but the 23's stomp the 6N1P's. Im evaluating the Amperex white label vintage tubes that came in today I hope to have my thoughts on them as I listen for a couple hours.. I just got my first bad batch of ebay tubes I ordered some 60's 6N1p's and one was bad so into the garbage they go... ;(

Did you contact the seller to get a replacement? Was the tube dead or noisy? They are supposed to be tested. Mine have the testing information with them.  No 1960's 6N23P yet? I have all the tubes but no amp. Waiting. :^)

Has anyone tried the gold grid 6N1P's? 

May 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #334 of 8,735
That was the one that was bad was the gold grid 6N1P one was noisy I switched channels in the Lyr just to make sure. No I didn't contact the seller yet I was cleaning up my ebay last night and think I deleted him in "my won" area
woops ohh well..

May 10, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #335 of 8,735

Well I just finished a 3 hour listening session with the White Label Holland silver pin Amperex.

Nice and warm sounding has nice mids to it the bass is a little less that the 6N23P's and is not quite as resolving but sounds more tubish the highs are not straining and again warm this is a keeper
Its a vintage tube so I have no idea how many hours are on it already. I have my multi cryo 6N23p's coming in tomorrow so I will give a brief view on them compared to my 80's 23's Im running now
I wish I had a switch so I could switch between the Amperex white label and the 23's I already wore out my tube glove hahaha

May 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #336 of 8,735
Did you contact the seller to get a replacement? Was the tube dead or noisy? They are supposed to be tested. Mine have the testing information with them.  No 1960's 6N23P yet? I have all the tubes but no amp. Waiting. :^)

Has anyone tried the gold grid 6N1P's? 

Nope no 60's 23's yet still waiting

May 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #337 of 8,735
I ordered two pair of the gold grid 6N1P so hopefully I will two good pair or at least one good pair. He forgot to send both pairs so I have one here and the other one he mailed out the other day. I also got some other 6N1P's from him. All these white label, orange globe etc etc and I have 150 in storage. gahhhh And all NOS never used. 

May 10, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #338 of 8,735
Quote:
I ordered two pair of the gold grid 6N1P so hopefully I will two good pair or at least one good pair. He forgot to send both pairs so I have one here and the other one he mailed out the other day. I also got some other 6N1P's from him. All these white label, orange globe etc etc and I have 150 in storage. gahhhh And all NOS never used. 

Do you have any Marconi Osram B65 in storage? 
wink.gif

May 10, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #339 of 8,735
I won't have bragging rights to that. :^) The most expensive I have is the TS RP in NOS. I actually got heavy into the 12SN7's as in my opinion, they sound better due to the different filament voltage and they are cheap by comparison. I also like the 7N7 but they always seem to go noisy on me. I have adapters I mades so I can use the 7N7 in the octal. 

May 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #340 of 8,735
May 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #341 of 8,735
At those prices, you can get a nice set of Amperex tubes.  Personally, I wouldn't pay more than about $25 for a pair of NOS Russian tubes (and there are plenty of 23s on ebay for that price).

Quote:
After the praise I hear about the 6N23P I figured I gotta have myself a pair 
L3000.gif
 I'll see how they compare to Schiit's 6N1P. 

Hmm... Should I go for 

Reflector 6N23P-EV Military Cryo  50$

or

Reflector 6N23P-EV Military Super Cryo Matched Pair 70$

Do you think the latter are worth the extra cost?

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=262&osCsid=e015927a4ca800e59981ae55c0ba1a22

May 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #342 of 8,735
After the praise I hear about the 6N23P I figured I gotta have myself a pair 
L3000.gif
 I'll see how they compare to Schiit's 6N1P. 

Hmm... Should I go for 

Reflector 6N23P-EV Military Cryo  50$

or

Reflector 6N23P-EV Military Super Cryo Matched Pair 70$

Do you think the latter are worth the extra cost?

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=262&osCsid=e015927a4ca800e59981ae55c0ba1a22

I decided to get the expensive set the multi cryoed or whatever they call it of the 6N23P's to compare them to my 80's set that I was running I can't really give you a good answer the 23's sound great and do not have the
graininess of the Schiit 6N1p's you can get a pair on ebay matched for probably 30.00 but it takes forever to get them from Russia.. The Cryo's come in today so I can give a bit of my feeling on them which I believe will be that they sound the same as the non-cryoed ones hahaha

Currently Im running the Amperex Holland white label they are my new favorite tube but they ain't cheap..

May 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #343 of 8,735
Thanks chaps.

MrScary, I'll use you as a guinea pig and let you test the super cryo's first then. 
redface.gif
 If you don't find them superior then I'll look on ebay for some cheap 23's. 

I can see this is going to be worse than my opamp roll adventures... Addictive little glowing glass buggers. 
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #344 of 8,735
Thanks chaps.

MrScary, I'll use you as a guinea pig and let you test the super cryo's first then. 
redface.gif
 If you don't find them superior then I'll look on ebay for some cheap 23's. 

I can see this is going to be worse than my opamp roll adventures... Addictive little glowing glass buggers. 
biggrin.gif

Ohh yeah I have now rolled 9 tube sets through the Lyr and hahaha probably wont stop... Yeah I don't mind being the guinea pig the sucky thing is UPS comes like at 8pm in my area they suck I hate UPS I prefer Fedex or USPS..

I already wore out my tube glove from rolling tubes had to order another one hahahah. Of course I can't wait for them to cool down :wink:

May 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #345 of 8,735

Quote:
Ohh yeah I have now rolled 9 tube sets through the Lyr and hahaha probably wont stop... Yeah I don't mind being the guinea pig the sucky thing is UPS comes like at 8pm in my area they suck I hate UPS I prefer Fedex or USPS..

I already wore out my tube glove from rolling tubes had to order another one hahahah. Of course I can't wait for them to cool down
wink.gif

Hehe, you wore out your glove... I use the top foam from the small box the Schiit tubes came with. Works pretty well. I've switched between the 6NP1's and the JJ's a couple of times so I'm getting quite quick at replacing them.

DHL are the quickest I've tried when ordering stuff from abroad. They call in the morning and say when they'll come by and they seem to race through customs unlike our National postal service. It can take several weeks for them to clear a package through. 
angry_face.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back