Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #361 of 8,735
Just went thru the entire thread, feeling kinda exhausted to go back and dig up the links for the cryo-treated 23's. Would anyone be kind enough to point me in that direction? Also, what's the verdict on single-cycle vs multi-cycle?

May 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #363 of 8,735
ugh... yeah I guess I have misread the thread somewhat, a tad too rich for my blood. $30ish for the untreated ones sounds more like what I am willing to pay. Thanks nonetheless!

EDIT: oops, so that was for 2 units of those... and if I disregard the matched pair bit its a more reasonable $50. Much better :)

May 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #366 of 8,735
Listening to these cryo-treated 23's (single cryo) right now. I've only tried the stock JJ's, 61NP's and these. The '23s' are money very well spent. Improved sound stage, tighter base, improved mids and highs. I'll hold with these for awhile until MrScary and others ferret out the 'next step' :)

May 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #367 of 8,735
Listening to these cryo-treated 23's (single cryo) right now. I've only tried the stock JJ's, 61NP's and these. The '23s' are money very well spent. Improved sound stage, tighter base, improved mids and highs. I'll hold with these for awhile until MrScary and others ferret out the 'next step' :)

Yeah I am Ferreting now looking through all the tube sites and ebay. Sadly what I'm looking for is very very expensive I'm not happy with the white label Amperex after more extended listening so Im using the multi cyro 23's right now..
I have the tube rolling sickness. The biggest problem is the best sounding tubes are all vintage, very expensive and hard to get without robbing a bank and these tubes only last so long so getting another vintage pair is questionable if you
find one you really like.

May 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #368 of 8,735
I suspect that's very true. I'm gonna research the availability of the 23's. Might be wise to stock a couple extra sets if you fine a tube that makes you happy. 

May 12, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #369 of 8,735

Quote:
ugh... yeah I guess I have misread the thread somewhat, a tad too rich for my blood. $30ish for the untreated ones sounds more like what I am willing to pay. Thanks nonetheless!

EDIT: oops, so that was for 2 units of those... and if I disregard the matched pair bit its a more reasonable $50. Much better :)

Given how they're used, you would probably do well to use matched pairs.

May 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #370 of 8,735
Well I just bought some CC 60's Valvo's off of ebay NOS they were expensive but they are suppose to sound tremendous guess I will find out in a couple weeks by the time they ship.

May 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #371 of 8,735
Hey all,

Lots of good discussion here!

We've played with 6N23Ps, but I suspect our vendor was probably scraping the bottom of the barrel, because all the samples we got were highly microphonic. Other than that, we really liked the tubes. If you can find some good solid examples, go for it!

I'm looking forward to jamato8's impressions of some "non-standard" tubes, (not 6DJ8, but same pinout)--we haven't had time to really go down that road, except with 6N2Ps, which weren't thrilling. Since Lyr is biased with a current source, you can plug in a lot of different tubes and they'll run, but the results are going to vary based on their optimal operating point, inherent linearity, gain, etc. 

Oh, and: we're shipping Lyrs again (since the 10th), so if you have been waiting a while, you're probably only a day or so away from shipping. For newer orders, we're running a continuous 4th run starting next week, so we will *finally* be in a stocking position before the end of the month.

Best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #372 of 8,735
Hey all,

Lots of good discussion here!

We've played with 6N23Ps, but I suspect our vendor was probably scraping the bottom of the barrel, because all the samples we got were highly microphonic. Other than that, we really liked the tubes. If you can find some good solid examples, go for it!

I'm looking forward to jamato8's impressions of some "non-standard" tubes, (not 6DJ8, but same pinout)--we haven't had time to really go down that road, except with 6N2Ps, which weren't thrilling. Since Lyr is biased with a current source, you can plug in a lot of different tubes and they'll run, but the results are going to vary based on their optimal operating point, inherent linearity, gain, etc. 

Oh, and: we're shipping Lyrs again (since the 10th), so if you have been waiting a while, you're probably only a day or so away from shipping. For newer orders, we're running a continuous 4th run starting next week, so we will *finally* be in a stocking position before the end of the month.

Best,
Jason

I think that a majority of users have been trying out the 23's my question is why Schiit chooses to use the JJ's they are not very good sounding Jason. I know you are not in the business of tube rolling but the JJ's are a bad choice even at the price point of the Lyr..
On another note I'm having a blast rolling tubes through the Lyr and thanks for a great product.

May 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #373 of 8,735
Whoa is me, no Schiit DAC news.
confused.gif

May 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #375 of 8,735
Quote:
I wonder if they are going to have different dac's at different price points or just one?

He already covered this in a different thread.

Quote:
What you can look forward to:
1. A line of 3 DACs, the first to be announced in June as the highest-value product like Asgard was announced last June. We'll also give at least a brief roadmap of what's coming so people can know if they want to wait or not. All of the DACs will have some surprises but the final 'statement' DAC will be the most, ahem - surprising.
2. A 'statement' headphone/2-channel product.

Hopefully all the above will be announced by the end of the year, then it's time to make some new plans.
All the best,
Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545842/schiit-dac-the-information-and-anticipation-thread

The first DAC will be entry-level.  The second and third ones will be beasts, from my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back