Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #346 of 8,735

Hehe, you wore out your glove... I use the top foam from the small box the Schiit tubes came with. Works pretty well. I've switched between the 6NP1's and the JJ's a couple of times so I'm getting quite quick at replacing them.

DHL are the quickest I've tried when ordering stuff from abroad. They call in the morning and say when they'll come by and they seem to race through customs unlike our National postal service. It can take several weeks for them to clear a package through. 
angry_face.gif

If you want to buy my 80's 23's from me I will give them to you for 25.00 + shipping they are already broken in they were NOS... IM being a nice guy today if you don't want them Im going to put them on ebay they are a matched set by the way. Just after I get the cryo's there is not reason for me to keep them as I have a 60's pair of 23's coming in from Russia

May 11, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #348 of 8,735
Well I got the Muti-Cryo treated 6N23P's this evening I'm running them now and I hate to say it but I was wrong the cryo treatment does do something to the tube. The bass is more defined and warmer the mids are smooth and the treble is not sibilant as is a tad with non- broken in 6N23P's... They sound allot more like the Amperex White Label's. I did a right left test of the 80's 6N23p's against the Cryo treated tubes and the Cryo's do sound better.. So whatever they are doing the cryo treatment is a sell for me. Im going to burn them in for several days to see if the sound changes but I am impressed. Just not for the prices that they charge..

May 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #349 of 8,735
Damn, I was really starting to like the single coat cryo 6N23P.  We have liquid nitrogen at work, maybe I'll do a little double dipping.

Quote:
Well I got the Muti-Cryo treated 6N23P's this evening I'm running them now and I hate to say it but I was wrong the cryo treatment does do something to the tube. The bass is more defined and warmer the mids are smooth and the treble is not sibilant as is a tad with non- broken in 6N23P's... They sound allot more like the Amperex White Label's. I did a right left test of the 80's 6N23p's against the Cryo treated tubes and the Cryo's do sound better.. So whatever they are doing the cryo treatment is a sell for me. Im going to burn them in for several days to see if the sound changes but I am impressed. Just not for the prices that they charge..

May 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #351 of 8,735
Quote:
Quote:
Damn, I was really starting to like the single coat cryo 6N23P.  We have liquid nitrogen at work, maybe I'll do a little double dipping.

I don't thing you would notice any difference between the single coat and the mutli.. hahah maybe he isnt even doing cryo at all
biggrin.gif

Well, I got the single cryo and am perfectly happy with the tubes and the sound with my LCD-2s.

Cheers!
-HK sends

May 12, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #352 of 8,735
Ditto to the 23's. Received a pair today (single cryo) and they sound really nice even with barely any burn in. I did the L/R slider thing with them and it was pretty impressive to the stock jj's. Can't wait to see what they're like with more time on them.

May 12, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #353 of 8,735

Quote:

I guess you are kidding but they do have to be taken down slowly and back up over many hours. 

May 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #354 of 8,735
Yeah, kidding, could give it a shot but I'd rather just spend the extra $20 for them to do it.  The single-treated cryo sound good.  After broken in I need to do some comparisons again with the Gold Lion.

Quote:
I guess you are kidding but they do have to be taken down slowly and back up over many hours. 

May 12, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #355 of 8,735
Balls, I have a 240 gallon tank of LN2 sitting back in the lab...now I have ideas.  Never even thought of doing cryo myself, since the environmental chambers here only go down to about -125*F.

Quote:

May 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #356 of 8,735
Ditto to the 23's. Received a pair today (single cryo) and they sound really nice even with barely any burn in. I did the L/R slider thing with them and it was pretty impressive to the stock jj's. Can't wait to see what they're like with more time on them.

Yeah doing a direct comparison makes you want to throw the JJ's. They sound like Schiit I guess that Schiit got a good deal on the JJ's. Im starting to like the Multi Cycle 23's more and more I have now 12 hours on them. IM going to listen to them for a week then
put the Amperex white label's back in and make a determination on what sounds best. Hopefully I will get my 60's 6N23P's soon so I can see what kind of sound signature they have..

May 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #357 of 8,735
I think a lot of manufacturers wind up using new-production tubes because of the availability of them, and the overall lower cost than using some expensive NOS tubes.  Plus, I'd imagine most tube amp makers figure people are going to roll tubes, anyway; why not give them the least-expensive tube option to start with, so the end user can spend the extra money on the specific tubes they want?

I haven't taken the Brimar tubes out of mine yet...really like how they sound.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah doing a direct comparison makes you want to throw the JJ's. They sound like Schiit I guess that Schiit got a good deal on the JJ's. Im starting to like the Multi Cycle 23's more and more I have now 12 hours on them. IM going to listen to them for a week then
put the Amperex white label's back in and make a determination on what sounds best. Hopefully I will get my 60's 6N23P's soon so I can see what kind of sound signature they have..

May 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #358 of 8,735
Dropped in a pair of Cryo treated 6N23P's today. Wow - as noted they're a big step in the right direction from the JJ's. Thanks for your efforts all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back