Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #316 of 8,735
Anyone wanting a matched pair of Amperex Gold PQ's for 60.00 + shipping let me know I prefer the 23's I'm losing money big time on this I thought I would post here first if anyone from the thread wants them PM me soon or I am putting them on ebay

May 9, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #317 of 8,735
Got my Cryoset 6N23P today.  Website says 100-200 hours burn in time.  23s are a very nice contrast to the Gold Lions.  I will be keeping both.  Gold Lions have the bass I like and the Cryoset do sound more open or airy and detailed.  I listen to a lot of jazz that employs a double bass like Avishai Cohen and Helge Lien Trio.  Gold Lions might be better suited for some music however I'm just starting to burn so 23s may take over the majority of work.  In any case, great suggestion MrScary, money definitely not wasted on these tubes.      

May 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #318 of 8,735
Got my Cryoset 6N23P today.  Website says 100-200 hours burn in time.  23s are a very nice contrast to the Gold Lions.  I will be keeping both.  Gold Lions have the bass I like and the Cryoset do sound more open or airy and detailed.  I listen to a lot of jazz that employs a double bass like Avishai Cohen and Helge Lien Trio.  Gold Lions might be better suited for some music however I'm just starting to burn so 23s may take over the majority of work.  In any case, great suggestion MrScary, money definitely not wasted on these tubes.      

Glad you like them :D

May 10, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #319 of 8,735
Just read through this thread. I'm surprised you guys haven't rolled through the tubes mentioned here. Is it because these are more expensive and harder to obtain?

Btw, I agree with the praise for the BJC cables. The BJC LC-1 and Belden 5000UE improved the resolve and imaging of my Audioengine A2 significantly.

May 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #320 of 8,735
Just read through this thread. I'm surprised you guys haven't rolled through the tubes mentioned here. Is it because these are more expensive and harder to obtain?

Btw, I agree with the praise for the BJC cables. The BJC LC-1 and Belden 5000UE improved the resolve and imaging of my Audioengine A2 significantly.

Harder to obtain I would say. Some of us have rolled an Amperex or two but it seems the consensus so far has been that for the majority of users that have tried them, the Russian 6N23p's are giving a good all around sound. I have some Amperex white label's coming in so Im going to try them and some 60's 6N23P's and some Cryo 6N23P's ,after that Im done I have already rolled 7 tube sets and so far the 6N23P has been the all around best tube for me for my setup it can be a bit bright at time as I have a highly resolving DAC but for most music its great.

May 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #321 of 8,735
The tubes in that link have been covered.  We're all debating on whether or not to spend the mucho dinero.  Harder to find but unfortunately we found them 
biggrin.gif
.  Now it just boils down to pulling the trigger.  Got the Lions and 6N23P.  I'm happy with them but I don't think my rolling is done yet.  Going to just listen to these two tubes this month and then decide if I'm going to pony up for the Amperex PQ white label.  However saving $200 to put towards a LCD-2 ain't a bad option either.  

I will be interested to hear MrScary opinion on the Amperex white label.   With the MiniMax DAC are you using SS or tube ouput?  

Quote:

May 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #322 of 8,735
The tubes in that link have been covered.  We're all debating on whether or not to spend the mucho dinero.  Harder to find but unfortunately we found them 
biggrin.gif
.  Now it just boils down to pulling the trigger.  Got the Lions and 6N23P.  I'm happy with them but I don't think my rolling is done yet.  Going to just listen to these two tubes this month and then decide if I'm going to pony up for the Amperex PQ white label.  However saving $200 to put towards a LCD-2 ain't a bad option either.  

I will be interested to hear MrScary opinion on the Amperex white label.   With the MiniMax DAC are you using SS or tube ouput?  

Save the 200.00 for the LCD-2 I have the Amperex white labels coming in today so I can give a review on them but then there are many white labels hahahaha

May 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #323 of 8,735
biggrin.gif

Save the 200.00 for the LCD-2 I have the Amperex white labels coming in today so I can give a review on them but then there are many white labels hahahaha

With the Minimax I have it modded it has new opamps new high definition tube and silver fuse so it is really resolving I use the tube output they sound similar with the opamps I have in there Im running AD823's for the tube output and the combo of AD823 and AD797 for the solid state they sound so similar that it really doesn't matter which I choose. The only plus to the tube output is it puts out 3 volts compared to 2.5 for the SS and gives a bit of a tube sound

May 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #324 of 8,735
Another quick tube update: Brimar BVA E88CC.  Very close call between these and the Amperex tubes.  Very close.  Need to do a lot more listening between these sets to decide which I like more; right now, they're tied.  Amperex is a little warmer, Brimar is a little more airy.  Porterhouse vs sirloin, as it were.

Still waiting on my '70s 6N1P Russian tubes, but I don't think they're going to match the Brimar or Amperex tubes.

May 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #325 of 8,735
MrScary said:
With the Minimax I have it modded it has new opamps new high definition tube and silver fuse so it is really resolving I use the tube output they sound similar with the opamps I have in there Im running AD823's for the tube output and the combo of AD823 and AD797 for the solid state they sound so similar that it really doesn't matter which I choose the only plus to the tube output is it puts out 3 volts compared to 2.5 for the SS

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering if a tube DAC and tube AMP had a major influence on sound.  We all have different set-ups so I was just keeping that in mind.  For me, any tube that helps with the HE-4 slightly recessed midrange will be desired whereas in your system it may not be ideal.  LCD's yeah, I guess that's in my 6-12 month plan.  I should attend a meet to hear these phones.  Appears a lot of people are going with the LCD-2 and Lyr combo.

May 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #326 of 8,735
Another quick tube update: Brimar BVA E88CC.  Very close call between these and the Amperex tubes.  Very close.  Need to do a lot more listening between these sets to decide which I like more; right now, they're tied.  Amperex is a little warmer, Brimar is a little more airy.  Porterhouse vs sirloin, as it were.

Still waiting on my '70s 6N1P Russian tubes, but I don't think they're going to match the Brimar or Amperex tubes.

I agree my 70's 6N1P's are only slightly less grainy than the Schiit tubes they are smoother but they still have that sound to them that doesn't sit well in the Lyr

May 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #327 of 8,735
Thanks for the info.  I was wondering if a tube DAC and tube AMP had a major influence on sound.  We all have different set-ups so I was just keeping that in mind.  For me, any tube that helps with the HE-4 slightly recessed midrange will be desired whereas in your system it may not be ideal.  LCD's yeah, I guess that's in my 6-12 month plan.  I should attend a meet to hear these phones.  Appears a lot of people are going with the LCD-2 and Lyr combo.

The Tube Dac is awesome in the fact you can switch between a tad of tube or SS I prefer having a tad of tube for my LCD-2's but its so resolving I have to be careful what cables I select etc.. Any silver cables would bring in a brightness that would burn my ears hahahaha :D

May 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #328 of 8,735

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but it seems likely.  Again, though, I am not sure there is any significance to that.  What choice does either of them really have?  I guess Cavilli could consider supplying it with Gold Lions since the Liquid Fire is a more upscale amp.  But if I were making tube amps, I would supply whatever tube I thought was halfway decent but not too expensive, knowing many people will be rolling tubes anyway.  The JJ is a decent, cheap, readily available tube. 

I think Skylab is right... BUT... you have to burn the JJ's in with music for about 120 hours before they open up and perform like they are capable of doing. If you are making your hard fast "give up on 'em" judgment before about 120 hours, you are missing what the JJ's can do. Different tubes require different break in time... just as amp circuits are different. But, my general rule over all my years with tube amps, and even with solid state, you should burn in with real music... especially "Big Band" type with all those horns.

I have the Gold Lions and the Schiit 6N1P's coming tomorrow and the day after. I'm anxious to see what they can do against a burned in set of stock Lyr's.

By the way, I was quite disappointed with the Lyr at 100 hours, compared to my Little Dot Mk IVSE, driving my HE-5LE's. But, at about 115 to 120 hours, the Lyr suddenly became a different amp... a good amp! I'm anxious to see how it compares with these next two set of tubes.

May 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #329 of 8,735
I think Skylab is right... BUT... you have to burn the JJ's in with music for about 120 hours before they open up and perform like they are capable of doing. If you are making your hard fast "give up on 'em" judgment before about 120 hours, you are missing what the JJ's can do. Different tubes require different break in time... just as amp circuits are different. But, my general rule over all my years with tube amps, and even with solid state, you should burn in with real music... especially "Big Band" type with all those horns.

I have the Gold Lions and the Schiit 6N1P's coming tomorrow and the day after. I'm anxious to see what they can do against a burned in set of stock Lyr's.

By the way, I was quite disappointed with the Lyr at 100 hours, compared to my Little Dot Mk IVSE, driving my HE-5LE's. But, at about 115 to 120 hours, the Lyr suddenly became a different amp... a good amp! I'm anxious to see how it compares with these next two set of tubes.

The JJ;s just don't sound good in the Lyr I put on almost 200 hours on them and they still stank they have recessed mids good bass and edgy treble.

May 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #330 of 8,735

The JJ;s just don't sound good in the Lyr I put on almost 200 hours on them and they still stank they have recessed mids good bass and edgy treble.

You chose two of the tubes that the are not a good fit for the Lyr by general consensus .the Gold Lions sound fair but are too mid centric I put over 100 hours on them.. and the 6N1p's Schiits are just horrible nasty grany tubes they are new batch 6N1p's and just don't have the sound
that the older 60's and some 70's 6N1P's have.. Now given my following statement you may have equipment that accommodates the said tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back