Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #2,881 of 8,735
When I used the tubemonger SS's,after the tube has cooled..I gently full it back & forth with slight upward pressure
 most of the time I use a surgical  glove.......it gives  a better grip.

But with the brass ring Socket Saver..I dont need to do that.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2,883 of 8,735
Thank you Lord Soth...but I'd rather not test my luck on ebay, because when I've learned the hard way what is the risk involved in buying tubes from private sellers. I'm afraid E188CCs are a bit beyond my reach... especially when you have to buy them in Europe.
Is there any other kind of tube that is less microphonic and more silent than E88CC? I mean, what about the 6BZ7 family? I'm more concerned about the hum, though since I can always use dampeners for microphonics
On the other hand, I really dig the tube dealer you've made me discover, then again, customs are unforgiving these days so...I'll have to think hard before I pull the trigger on those platinum tubes.

Buying tubes from E-bay on my own, I have had very good luck with E188CC or 7308 tubes in the 6DJ8 family of tubes.
These are specially selected by the manufacturing company for low microphonics and balanced triodes.
Alternatively, you could try purchasing "platinum" or "gold" grade vacuum tubes from Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6922/

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #2,884 of 8,735
Quote:
Huh maybe it does loosen up some, it feels to me like the connection between the tube and the socket saver is tighter. For instance when the tube and the SS are connected and I push them into the Lyr socket they lean which ever I rock them in

I noticed the exact same thing. Mine are so tight that after pulling the tubes out of the socket savers several times, a couple of the pins on my stock GE tubes are bent slightly. I can't seem to pull the tube out of the SS straight out, have to rock it back and forth multiple times for the SS to release the tube. Just wondering if this is normal or I should contact Tubemonger about it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
ckc

I'll try to clarify, when the SS and tube are combined its a stronger connection than the bottom connection SS and Lyr. For example the joint at the bottom can lean pretty easily, top joint (tube+SS) does not. Both connections I have to gently rock out, neither has ever bent my tube's pins

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #2,886 of 8,735

Quote:
Hi,

For those using socket savers, do your socket savers pop out along with the tubes each time you tube roll? 

Thanks,
ckc

Yes and no, depending on tubes. When I use the SS with GE 6BZ7, the SS pop out along with the tubes when I change the tubes. When I use the SS with 6N1P, the SS does not pop out. The SS stayed inside Lyr. I hope the SS will loosen up after some time. By right, they should.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2,887 of 8,735

Quote:
Mikek, does that brass ring rub off the tubes label?

So far they dont..But I put mine lightly, right on top of the tube...I do not push it down,maybe I have about 1/4 from the  top of the ring ,to the top of the tube.
Before I actually use the ring,I check to see that it will NOT slide all the way down into the body of the Lyr
I'm only using the SS's,when I have a shorter sized tube,and almost never,on a tube that has gold pins...

I'm a new newbie on all this stuff..did manage to do threw about $800.00 on various tubes{& more coming-Mullards } in the last 4 weeks..don't ask me how??guess I'm officially a tube addict in training??

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #2,888 of 8,735
I use my fingers, no glove, I just wiggle 'em out. Probably been through 5-6 swaps, no difference. I just wipe 'em down with an eyeglass cleaning cloth and alcohol when im done.

These are tough amps guys, I doubt something like the socket would fail, and even if it did, I'm sure Schiit would help us out

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #2,889 of 8,735

Quote:
I noticed the exact same thing. Mine are so tight that after pulling the tubes out of the socket savers several times, a couple of the pins on my stock GE tubes are bent slightly. I can't seem to pull the tube out of the SS straight out, have to rock it back and forth multiple times for the SS to release the tube. Just wondering if this is normal or I should contact Tubemonger about it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
ckc

I don't have the issue with bending pin. I rock it back and forth multiple times (probably 10 times) and tube come right off. Try not to rock the tube too hard.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2,890 of 8,735

If memory serves me correct, Jason has said that's how you pull tubes out, by rocking them back and forth. If you're bending pins you may be applying too much pressure. As others have said, I to have no problems with pulling tubes out.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2,891 of 8,735
Quote:
So far they dont..But I put mine lightly, right on top of the tube...I do not push it down,maybe I have about 1/4 from the  top of the ring ,to the top of the tube.
Before I actually use the ring,I check to see that it will NOT slide all the way down into the body of the Lyr
I'm only using the SS's,when I have a shorter sized tube,and almost never,on a tube that has gold pins...

I'm a new newbie on all this stuff..did manage to do threw about $800.00 on various tubes{& more coming-Mullards } in the last 4 weeks..don't ask me how??guess I'm officially a tube addict in training??

When you hit $2500+ in less than six months, you'll be running with the big dogs! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers from a big dog! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,893 of 8,735
I just assembled my lyr, is it normal to have normal volume at 2-3 o'clock?  I am using the LCD-3.

I have lcd2s (also 50ohms) and above 11oclock is verging on too loud, 3 would be unbearable. Make sure your source is all the way up (dac,computer,etc)
Recenly tried the k1000 on my setup and 3-4oclock was a good volume for them however

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #2,894 of 8,735

Quote:
I have lcd2s (also 50ohms) and above 11oclock is verging on too loud, 3 would be unbearable. Make sure your source is all the way up (dac,computer,etc)
Recenly tried the k1000 on my setup and 3-4oclock was a good volume for them however

Weird, my source is set at 100% volume.  I guess I have no choice but to set it at 2-3, anything lower is too low for me.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2,895 of 8,735
Quote:

Weird, my source is set at 100% volume.  I guess I have no choice but to set it at 2-3, anything lower is too low for me.

I dunno, unlikely but maybe the audio files were low volume.

Ha I just noticed the panther chameleon in your avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back