Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,851 of 8,735
Quote:
Hi guys, I have the Lyr with 6BZ7 tubes that Schiit supplied, and also have the LCD-2 Rev. 2. I'm hearing a little veil or slight dullness to the music, which I don't really favor too much. Aside from that, everything else seems fine. What tubes can you suggest that will bring vocals, instruments etc more forward, more engaging, and without the slight veil? Will the 6N1P tubes bring the sound more forward than the 6BZ7s? How do they compare to the Gold Lion 6922s? Thanks.

Two "relatively" inexpensive tubes that are getting some love with folks are the National/Matsu* 6922 and the Tungsram PCC88s.  They are known for better bass extension and treble detail (some may feel the Tungsrams are too bright at first but they settle down after a while).

http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm

http://www.tubemonger.com/MP_MINT_NOS_Tungsram_PCC88_Jan_Feb_MAR1971_Hungary_p/756.htm

I have sets of these and use them with my Lyr and LCD-3s.  I also have some Lorenz and other expensive tubes but for day-to-day listening, I keep coming back to these.  FWIW, I tend to favor the Matsu's over the Tungsram, but either way, I think you will find the "veil" will be gone.

As usual, IMHO and YMMV!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2,853 of 8,735
Cool thanks that's pretty helpful :)

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #2,856 of 8,735

Quote:
I have purchased a lot of different low end tubes over a couple of months of owning my "Lyr" and have come to the conclusion to just buy a couple pair of good NOS Amperex Bugle Boys (6DJ8).  Which I just did this morning actually.   They cost $85 bucks a matched pair from the following link ----  

http://www.audiotubes.com

The cost might seem high but I would have saved money in the long run if I would have found this forum sooner.  This of course is MHO.

Stri

Have you or anyone else try the Orange label version of the Amperex 6DJ8 tubes?

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #2,857 of 8,735

Quote:

Have you or anyone else try the Orange label version of the Amperex 6DJ8 tubes?

Yes.  You can see my earlier post on page 189 & 190.  The Oranges are a nice sweet sounding tube after you break them in (48 hrs.).  They come in several flavors.  The pair I have are the large A-Frame ones.  Made in Holland.

Stri

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #2,859 of 8,735
I just ordered the matsu6922 and this will be my first time tube rolling.I currently have the stock ones and been listening to tunes for about a month now. I am still trying to find the best way to listen to music. I have a brp>MF V-dac II>old rotel preamp Rsp980(good two channel mode)>dt 990's(600ohm)/q701's. I also use itunes >dac>lyr>phones and I find using cd's sound better.

Quote:
Two "relatively" inexpensive tubes that are getting some love with folks are the National/Matsu* 6922 and the Tungsram PCC88s.  They are known for better bass extension and treble detail (some may feel the Tungsrams are too bright at first but they settle down after a while).

http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm

http://www.tubemonger.com/MP_MINT_NOS_Tungsram_PCC88_Jan_Feb_MAR1971_Hungary_p/756.htm

I have sets of these and use them with my Lyr and LCD-3s.  I also have some Lorenz and other expensive tubes but for day-to-day listening, I keep coming back to these.  FWIW, I tend to favor the Matsu's over the Tungsram, but either way, I think you will find the "veil" will be gone.

As usual, IMHO and YMMV!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #2,860 of 8,735
Quote:
I just ordered the matsu6922 and this will be my first time tube rolling.I currently have the stock ones and been listening to tunes for about a month now. I am still trying to find the best way to listen to music. I have a brp>MF V-dac II>old rotel preamp Rsp980(good two channel mode)>dt 990's(600ohm)/q701's. I also use itunes >dac>lyr>phones and I find using cd's sound better.

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Matsu tubes.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2,861 of 8,735
I just heated up some Mullard CV2492 E88CCs (the dimples from Tubemonger) and I can see it will take a little time for them to burn in.  Pretty bright but I like the upfront vocals I'm hearing accompanied by a small buzz that should settle down.  At least I hope so.  I've never heard this particular noise from my other tubes before.  It's a 60 cycle but has some buzz to go with it.  Very low level.  I'll see if it abates after a night of burn in.

Stri

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #2,862 of 8,735
Just for fun I popped my original GE's in last night.  It wasn't very much fun.  Something that sounded so good when I first got it and now,,,, well they suck compared to the many fine tubes we have now.  I won't be complaining about how much money I have in tubes :)

Stri

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #2,863 of 8,735
Just received a pair of Novib 9 pins socket saver and installed them on Lyr. The socket saver feels solid but the label printing is slightly blurry. There is a word "India" on the top of the black plastic. I assume that they are made in India (at least some parts of it). Initial impression, so far don't hear any difference in SQ.

The socket savers came in a plastic container. Well protected.

Opening the plastic container.

Novib 9 pins socket saver with NOS GE 6BZ7.

Lyr with the raised NOS GE 6BZ7.

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #2,864 of 8,735
Love the glow of the vacuum tubes in semi darkness and total darkness. So I took some photos of them with my G11.

Lyr with 6N1P.

6N1P close up.

6N1P close up.

Very close up look at 6N1P in total darkness. Beautiful glow with the wire mesh. Looks like the Sophia Princess Mesh 300B when glow in the dark. I wonder how many 6N1P owners noticed the wire mesh. Look at how straight the wire mesh are aligned. I wonder how do they (tube designer and/or machine) put on the wire mesh. It looks impossible to do it by hand.

GE 6BZ7 close up.

GE 6BZ7 close up. Looks like a peaceful miniature playground covered in white snow.

GE 6BZ7 close up photo taken in total darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back