Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
May 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2,221 of 2,392
Sounds like you have a problem. Never had that problem with mine.
I would also contact Schiit directly.

May 14, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2,223 of 2,392
I drive my LCD2 and T1 with the Lyr. Is it normal that the Lyr is not complete dead silent at lowest volume position? I can hear a very light hum in quiet environment, it don't disturb when music plays but it is there when i exact listen to the headphones. I tested with a few tubes, same result. It not depends on the source because i have disconnect my CDP. My other amplifiers are dead silent. With a low impendance phone like W1000x and SRH940 the hum is loud but this is normal because Lyr design is only for high impendance.

May 14, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #2,224 of 2,392
Quote:
I drive my LCD2 and T1 with the Lyr. Is it normal that the Lyr is not complete dead silent at lowest volume position? I can hear a very light hum in quiet environment, it don't disturb when music plays but it is there when i exact listen to the headphones. I tested with a few tubes, same result. It not depends on the source because i have disconnect my CDP. My other amplifiers are dead silent. With a low impendance phone like W1000x and SRH940 the hum is loud but this is normal because Lyr design is only for high impendance.

Its caused by grounding issues. Not sure if its your supply or the design itself. Another poster had this problem, he was told his headphones were too sensitive (I think AKG 240 MKII which are pretty low sensitivity). 

May 14, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #2,225 of 2,392
I thought it only can be a ground issue when source is connected. I saw RCA ground loop isolator cable. But the problem is there without connected to source.
I tested a few electrical socket in the house. What can I do?

May 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #2,226 of 2,392
Quote:
I thought it only can be a ground issue when source is connected. I saw RCA ground loop isolator cable. But the problem is there without connected to source.
I tested a few electrical socket in the house. What can I do?

Yes, the humming is caused by the AC voltage. Your home wiring possibly is connected to ground through different paths (most is), hence there's a ground loop. One way to remove the ground loop is use an isolation power supply. But first you can try unplugging other appliances if they share the same line as the socket you connect the amp to. 

May 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,227 of 2,392
Quote:
Hi everyone

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

I have just bought a new Schiit Lyr from a UK shop and I love it.  However I am having problems with it.  It is the UK voltage version.  Can anyone advise me if the following is normal for this amp:

The amp is vibrating, not enough to hear but when you touch it, especially over where the transformers are I can feel a noticeable vibration.  This happens all the time it is switched on.  Is this the "hum" I've read about on-line that some people get?

When the volume is turned off but headphones still plugged in I can hear a faint but slightly annoying intermittent electrical high pitched noise at night time when there are no environmental noised to mask it.

The power cord doesn't fit properly into it's socket on the rear of the unit, it fell out once last night.

Equipment:  Rega Apollo cd player, Schiit Lyr, Audeze LCD-2 headphones.

Many thanks

That sounds pretty strange.   There is definitely some transformer noise on the Lyr if you put your ear to it.  It's possible that could induce some faint vibration, but I don't think anything like what you're talking about.   You mentioned a really loose fitting power cord, I wonder how much of that could be related?  If it's not making solid contact, or is getting intermittent power, I wonder if that could have this sort of effect/  The first thing to do may be just to try a different NEMA power cord.  I'm not sure about the UK models, but I assume you can use any old PC power cord like you can on the US models. If that doesn't help, it may be RMA time.

Quote:

I'm guessing you either have some tube noise (usually it's not a "hum", but it could still be tubes), or you have an electrical issue going on in terms of either a ground loop or noise on the power line.   Make sure there's no dimmer or anything like that that could be interfering as well.  I drove myself crazy for an hour one night with a high pitched ringing in my headphones. It turned out a CFL dimmer on the line was causing the noise throughout the whole house (or most of it.) It's amazing what odd poser issues can cause in terms of audio.  Dimmers tend to cause hum or whine, other appliances could do the same.  Battery chargers, dimmers, heaters, anything with a resistive load is prone to such interference. 

All things equal, you shouldn't be hearing a hum like that.  But other than tubes it may not be an issue with the amp either, but an outside cause.

Quote:
Yes, the humming is caused by the AC voltage. Your home wiring possibly is connected to ground through different paths (most is), hence there's a ground loop. One way to remove the ground loop is use an isolation power supply. But first you can try unplugging other appliances if they share the same line as the socket you connect the amp to. 

+2!

May 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #2,228 of 2,392
Quote:

You can temporarily try a cheater plug, just to see if the hum goes away.  An isolation transformer is your best long-term solution.

May 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #2,229 of 2,392
Quote:

You can temporarily try a cheater plug, just to see if the hum goes away.  An isolation transformer is your best long-term solution.

$$$$$, unfortunately.

May 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #2,230 of 2,392
I tried a other power cable. Same problem. I think It's a design problem of the Lyr or a tube noise. As I say It's very quiet. All my other amplifier don't make problems.
Isolation Transformer?
Can anybody aknowledge that Lyr is absoulety dead silent with LCD2?

May 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #2,231 of 2,392
I am thinking of getting some proper feets to raise Lyr about half inch to an inch high. I think Lyr runs cooler when slightly raise. I am currently using Lego blocks to raise Lyr. Yup! Lego blocks and it works but it is time to get some proper feets.

Found below Rubber Bumper Non-skid Feet at amazon.com. Looks like Lyr's stock rubber feets but bigger. Does anyone know if these feets are able to with stand the hot temperature of Lyr? Can anyone recommend any value for money feets which suitable for Lyr? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042U6ZDU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=A1EPE8IE7JPHY4

May 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #2,232 of 2,392
Quote:
I tried a other power cable. Same problem. I think It's a design problem of the Lyr or a tube noise. As I say It's very quiet. All my other amplifier don't make problems.
Isolation Transformer?
Can anybody aknowledge that Lyr is absoulety dead silent with LCD2?

Did you try using the amp on a single point? Try unplugging all appliances in your room, and try.
If still no solution, you might have to get an isolation transformer, otherwise unfortunately, you need to change your amp with some other model, maybe Asgard.

May 15, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #2,233 of 2,392
Quote:
I am thinking of getting some proper feets to raise Lyr about half inch to an inch high. I think Lyr runs cooler when slightly raise. I am currently using Lego blocks to raise Lyr. Yup! Lego blocks and it works but it is time to get some proper feets.

Found below Rubber Bumper Non-skid Feet at amazon.com. Looks like Lyr's stock rubber feets but bigger. Does anyone know if these feets are able to with stand the hot temperature of Lyr? Can anyone recommend any value for money feets which suitable for Lyr? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042U6ZDU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=A1EPE8IE7JPHY4

I use those feet for my Lyr and Bifrost. They're good for elevating the components higher than the stock feet and there's no issue with the heat from the Lyr. Only issue is that the feet compress slightly under the weight of the components and the Lyr is a tad uneven a result as one side of the amp is heavier than the other.

May 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #2,234 of 2,392
Jason Stoddard from Schiit wrote me an answer: "Sounds like it might be normal low-level hum." This means for me Lyr is never dead silent. As i told it was a very low noise. Not a typical noticeable 50hz hum. So everything is okay. It's a shame that the Lyr produce a very noticeble noise with my low impendance phone except I use a 120ohm resistor. But with T1 and LCD2 it sounds great!

May 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2,235 of 2,392
Quote:
Jason Stoddard from Schiit wrote me an answer: "Sounds like it might be normal low-level hum." This means for me Lyr is never dead silent. As i told it was a very low noise. Not a typical noticeable 50hz hum. So everything is okay. It's a shame that the Lyr produce a very noticeble noise with my low impendance phone except I use a 120ohm resistor. But with T1 and LCD2 it sounds great!

I'm surprised he'd say that.  I don't have LCD-2, but with HD650, K702, HE-400 (also planar, and more efficient than LCD2, though I believe higher impedance), it's dead silent.  The only can that picks up noise (and a lot of it) is D5000, and that's all tube noise. 

Are you sure it may not be your SOURCE that's picking up the hum and Lyr is just magnifying it?  Did you try a different source, even an iPod on an LOD cable or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back