Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Mar 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #391 of 2,392
I'll definitely have more to share, but I want to get at least 100 hours on it before hand. So far though, it's outstanding. Fast, resolving, power in reserve, awesome with both low and high impedance cans (Denon D2/7000's, DT 990/600). This is my first amp with any tubes, so I'm excited to roll in the future.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #392 of 2,392
Mine shipped out today. Can't wait for this bad boy to arrive. I don't have a proper setup for it right now (just going off my Sansa Fuze V2 - LOD - Lyr), but I will be getting my good desktop at the end of April, and hopefully the HE-4 before that.

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #394 of 2,392

Quote:
I'll definitely have more to share, but I want to get at least 100 hours on it before hand. So far though, it's outstanding. Fast, resolving, power in reserve, awesome with both low and high impedance cans (Denon D2/7000's, DT 990/600). This is my first amp with any tubes, so I'm excited to roll in the future.

How is the sound stage?

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #397 of 2,392
As you can see, my Lyr has shipped and on its way 

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #398 of 2,392
So I've had my Lyr for several hours now and here are some of my initial impressions:

Build Quality = Brick Schiit house. It is roughly the size of my Concerto but 50% heavier (really solid). The metal casing is quite attractive.

Sound with my HE-6s: Finally a headphone amp that I have to turn the volume down to run them. :D Bass extension is deep (similar to that of my Pioneer Elite home theater receiver from the headphone jack). On my WA2, the volume at 3 o'clock, the bass is also quite good though not as visceral. The Concerto seems a bit too polite here. Listening to Magnificent (by U2, No Line on the Horizon), it's got some really powerful bass at the beginning and the Lyr was able to convey the power (just like my speaker amp/receiver). A great ability to control the bass is also very apparent.

The mids are nice and forward and the treble is fantastic.

Initially I ran the JJ 6922 tubes and found the amp a bit too clean for my liking...so after a few frustrating minutes, I was able to remove the stock tubes and ran some of my favourite 6922 tubes (Genalex Gold Lions) and the amp warmed up slightly...a bit more organic/tube-like...just how I like it. The sound stage seems to have opened up a bit as well.

I've got Ron's (Highflight) pigtail adapter arriving within a week or so. I plan to compare the Lyr to the speaker taps on my receiver. That should then let me know where I'm going next.

So far, very impressed with both the HE-6s and LCD-2s. Of my 3 amps on hand, this amp is definitely my go to amp for my HE-6s. I'll need more time to make that call on the LCD-2s.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #401 of 2,392

Quote:
So I've had my Lyr for several hours now and here are some of my initial impressions:

Build Quality = Brick Schiit house. It is roughly the size of my Concerto but 50% heavier (really solid). The metal casing is quite attractive.

Sound with my HE-6s: Finally a headphone amp that I have to turn the volume down to run them.
biggrin.gif
Bass extension is deep (similar to that of my Pioneer Elite home theater receiver from the headphone jack). On my WA2, the volume at 3 o'clock, the bass is also quite good though not as visceral. The Concerto seems a bit too polite here. Listening to Magnificent (by U2, No Line on the Horizon), it's got some really powerful bass at the beginning and the Lyr was able to convey the power (just like my speaker amp/receiver). A great ability to control the bass is also very apparent.

Initially I ran the JJ 6922 tubes and found the amp a bit too clean for my liking...so after a few frustrating minutes, I was able to remove the stock tubes and ran some of my favourite 6922 tubes (Genalex Gold Lions) and the amp warmed up slightly...a bit more organic/tube-like...just how I like it. The sound stage seems to have opened up a bit as well.

I've got Ron's (Highflight) pigtail adapter arriving within a week or so. I plan to compare the Lyr to the speaker taps on my receiver. That should then let me know where I'm going next.

So far, very impressed with both the HE-6s and LCD-2s. Of my 3 amps on hand, this amp is definitely my go to amp for my HE-6s. I'll need more time to make that call on the LCD-2s.

ugh peter!! lol

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #402 of 2,392
Great comments Macedonian hero.

I too changed to the genelex ECC88 tubes soon after getting the Lyr because I felt that the amp needed a little more air and midrange detail. I have recently changed back to the stock tubes and have discovered that the stock tubes seem to develop more top end after a longer burn in. It is quite hard to do back to back testing as the tubes are reasonably difficult to swap out combined with the cool down and warm up delays but I think the stock tubes have a little extra bass.

Do you find similar or am I just loving the Lyr in all combinations?

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #403 of 2,392
nice comment, MacedonianHero!!

I saw you also having the WA2, may i know how Lyr drives Sennheiser HD800 / beyerdynamic T1 compared to WA2?? or in simply ask, is it a good choice to get it even having the WA2 already??

Thanks

Quote:

Sound with my HE-6s: Finally a headphone amp that I have to turn the volume down to run them.
biggrin.gif
Bass extension is deep (similar to that of my Pioneer Elite home theater receiver from the headphone jack). On my WA2, the volume at 3 o'clock, the bass is also quite good though not as visceral. The Concerto seems a bit too polite here. Listening to Magnificent (by U2, No Line on the Horizon), it's got some really powerful bass at the beginning and the Lyr was able to convey the power (just like my speaker amp/receiver). A great ability to control the bass is also very apparent.

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #404 of 2,392

Quote:

biggrin.gif

glad you like it out of the box. How difficult  or frustrating was putting the tubes in. keep us informed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back