Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 16, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #6,856 of 7,049
New way to do a stack. Needed to raise my Apple Studio Display without paying $400 for the height adjustment. Rearranged the whole desk, too. Headphones are now hanging from under desk on a hook. Gungnir is the DAC that keeps on giving :D.

desk.jpg

Aug 16, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #6,857 of 7,049
I've had my Gumby since August 2015, days after the release of the multibit version. It's been on 24/7 since then, apart from a couple of power outages, and has provided nothing but musical bliss in all that time.

JC
Ditto, except mine is one of the first B s/n models. It still has gen5 usb, but I use bnc and coax s/pdif. As you said, only off during power outages or moving gear around. It is the only gear other than mojo2 that I never think of upgrading.

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #6,858 of 7,049
Out of the blue I got a CD player, but want to add a Multibit DAC eventually. I wish I could get another Gungnir MB, ideally for the clock regeneration just in case. I don't want to move the Gungnir from my Mac setup, since there are a bunch of 24 bit tracks I listen to. I also don't want to get a Modi MB 2 or Bifrost 2 for the CD player because of the lack of clock regeneration. Yggdrasil is a little pricy for my range. On the quest to source another Gungnir now or move my current one to the CD player and get a lower DAC for the Mac. Choices..

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #6,859 of 7,049
Gungnir MB is the sweet spot for me, I’m happy I got one before it was put on hiatus due to parts shortages.

Of course I would like an Yggdrasil too but it’s too big and too pricey for me and my wallet currently, although I’m convinced it’s worth every penny it costs.

But Gungnir sounds soo good I don’t feel bitten by the upgraditis just yet. Especially when ol’ Gumby is played through the Folkvangr! :L3000:

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #6,860 of 7,049
I'm having some trouble with my new Gumby. The rig is shown below. I assemble the complete rig prior to each listening session. When I start with 16-bit music, it will not play. Rebooting all the gear and starting again rom scratch doesn't help. However, when I start with 24-bit music, it will play just fine. Then, if I switch from playing 24- to 16-bit music, the playback is highly distorted. I have to cycle the Gumby's inputs back around to USB and then the music cleans up and plays fine. This Gumby is one w/o all the reclocking circuits because Schiit ran out of parts, or whatever. Anybody else experiencing something like this? Thanks, in advance.

BTW, I've heard both Yggy and Gumby ... the SQ isn't much different. :)

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #6,861 of 7,049
I'm having some trouble with my new Gumby. The rig is shown below. I assemble the complete rig prior to each listening session. When I start with 16-bit music, it will not play. Rebooting all the gear and starting again rom scratch doesn't help. However, when I start with 24-bit music, it will play just fine. Then, if I switch from playing 24- to 16-bit music, the playback is highly distorted. I have to cycle the Gumby's inputs back around to USB and then the music cleans up and plays fine. This Gumby is one w/o all the reclocking circuits because Schiit ran out of parts, or whatever. Anybody else experiencing something like this? Thanks, in advance.

BTW, I've heard both Yggy and Gumby ... the SQ isn't much different. :)
To help isolate the problem, what happens when you use a source different from your Mac?

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #6,862 of 7,049
Out of the blue I got a CD player, but want to add a Multibit DAC eventually. I wish I could get another Gungnir MB, ideally for the clock regeneration just in case. I don't want to move the Gungnir from my Mac setup, since there are a bunch of 24 bit tracks I listen to. I also don't want to get a Modi MB 2 or Bifrost 2 for the CD player because of the lack of clock regeneration. Yggdrasil is a little pricy for my range. On the quest to source another Gungnir now or move my current one to the CD player and get a lower DAC for the Mac. Choices..
Well, it depends on what you’re looking for :wink:

Some folks prefer Modi Multibit 2 to, say, Bifrost 2/64. If you don’t need balanced output, MM2 may be the best for you.

Sep 1, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #6,865 of 7,049
I know, but I asked if anybody had experienced the same or similar clocking issue, with a new Gungnir. So, has anyone?
I'm troubleshooting my problem as a Roon issue on their help forum. Will advise back, early next week. Thanks.

Sep 1, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #6,866 of 7,049
I don't have an issue with M2 Max, and before that, M1 Macs. I use either Apple Music or Vox (stream and local). I am plugged in to a USB type A slot, however, and not a USB-C to USB A, or a hub. If you do use a converter, try with the $20 apple USB-C to USB A and not an aftermarket and see if that helps.

I have been using SoundSource and absolutely recommend the app. It has parametric equalizer and quick way to switch bitrate and sample rate.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #6,867 of 7,049
Thanks. I was using JRiver but it didn't support Qobuz streaming, so I switched to Roon. At least one other Roon user posted an issue with connecting a DAC via USB, after Roon's latest update, so that's a possible source of the trouble.

Sep 1, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #6,868 of 7,049
I know, but I asked if anybody had experienced the same or similar clocking issue, with a new Gungnir. So, has anyone?
I'm troubleshooting my problem as a Roon issue on their help forum. Will advise back, early next week. Thanks.
I've fed my Gungnir from my Macbook without any issues using both Qobuz and Apple Music, though no Roon.

If you're just testing Roon for the sake of Qobuz, you might also want to consider LMS, which by all accounts works splendidly with Qobuz (as well as with several other streaming services, local libraries, etc.).

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #6,869 of 7,049
I would also say if you are invested in an Apple environment, Apple One is well worth it. I have the family plan and each gets the Apple services. Apple Music has mostly everything in at least 16 or 24 / 44.1 or 48. Some "hi res" songs, too, if you subscribe to that. Me s 16/44.1 is all the human ear ever needs. Hence moving to CD for off-computer listening.

Not to blame Roon, many people praise it, it's just not for me as my lossless comes from Apple Music and CD's, and I have no need for Roon.

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #6,870 of 7,049
I'm having some trouble with my new Gumby.
Do you have any bitperfect software running on the Mac? Macs don't track bit-depth changes automatically, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back