Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 1, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #6,826 of 7,049
Nope, you've got yourself a collectors item there!
The newer manuals are less anti-social media and just have the Schiit logo/name on the back cover
Ref: Gungnir Manual r4.1 (most recent I could find, but matches my 2021 Gungnir manual)
Cool, that doubles the Gumby's price on the open market, hee, hee....

May 4, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #6,827 of 7,049
I've listed my Gumby in the classified, if anyone is looking for one.

May 4, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #6,830 of 7,049
What’s the Gumby sound sig like?
There are also at least 2 "versions" of Gumby. The older ones are warmer sounding than the newer ones.

There's also the effect of the USB implementations: gen 2, gen 5 and Unison.

So, it's not a simple question!

May 8, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #6,832 of 7,049
May 13, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #6,833 of 7,049
One of the last holdouts on the Unison upgrade.

Summary: If you have a MB A1, and you plan on keeping it for a few years, then do the upgrade, it's better in every way, and it extends the warranty 2 years.

It's not just better with USB, it's better on coax too. I liked it out of the box, and was wondering maybe I would not hear the 3-4 day break-in. But indeed it kept getting better, and stopped somewhere between 72-96 hours. I repeated it 3 times, and its a thing, has been since I had it.

Whats better?

clarity and focus on instruments mids->high. Initial fans like me were drawn in by the analog type sound, but, there was also smudginess/lack of clarity, which is now clear (background more black). But this new clarity is still pleasant and the harmonics are still full and intact. A really fine set-up not only draws your ears to the instruments and staging, but also the spaces in between, and there is quiet and emptiness where it should be. This is more than the OG did. I'm free to enjoy the music, what's better than that?

I can't find a downside. It's still great pairing with the Rag 1, which is a bit drier, and not romantic per se. It's the last piece I have that I would update.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #6,834 of 7,049
Still enjoying my Delta-Sigma Gungnir w/ Eitr. This thing beats Modius by a large margin but trails behind Modi Multibit 2.
One of the last holdouts on the Unison upgrade.

Summary: If you have a MB A1, and you plan on keeping it for a few years, then do the upgrade, it's better in every way, and it extends the warranty 2 years.

It's not just better with USB, it's better on coax too. I liked it out of the box, and was wondering maybe I would not hear the 3-4 day break-in. But indeed it kept getting better, and stopped somewhere between 72-96 hours. I repeated it 3 times, and its a thing, has been since I had it.

Whats better?

clarity and focus on instruments mids->high. Initial fans like me were drawn in by the analog type sound, but, there was also smudginess/lack of clarity, which is now clear. But this new clarity is still pleasant and the harmonics are still full and intact. A really fine set-up not only draws your ears to the instruments and staging, but also the spaces in between, and there is quiet and emptiness where it should be. This is more than the OG did. I'm free to enjoy the music, what's better than that?

I can't find a downside. It's still great pairing with the Rag 1, which is a bit drier, and not romantic per se. It's the last piece I have that I would update.
The only downside is Schiit doesn't have A1 boards anymore. So if the board ends up dead down the road, it will most likely be switched with A2 board.

May 14, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #6,837 of 7,049
Does anyone know if you can get unison if you still have A1 boards ? Asking for a friend.
Just got mine done 3-4 weeks ago.

May 14, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #6,838 of 7,049
I'm really tempted to save up some dough for a Gumby but not sure if it's going to be worth, since it's most likely going to be 2x the price of my BF2.

May 15, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #6,839 of 7,049
I'm really tempted to save up some dough for a Gumby but not sure if it's going to be worth, since it's most likely going to be 2x the price of my BF2.
MB Gungnirs with the A2 board and gen 5 usb shouldn't cost that much, but how much better than your bifrost (a 2 or a 2/64)? 2/64, maybe not much.

A Gungnir with an A1 and unison would cost more, but, the chassis and boards in it are at least 5.5 -> 10 yrs old. I have one, it's going nowhere, but a friend thats got the bug (660, Clear OG, Ananda; Liquid Platnum in the last 60 days), I'm trying to talk him into a new bifrost 2/64, but not a used (only way now) Gumby, and certainly not a DS, or the cost of a DS -> MB and update to unison.

May 15, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #6,840 of 7,049
A brief check on some comments led me to this snippet by an MMK from Green Audio Review:

"What about the Gungnir Multibit? I think this is a very special DAC. It is intensely untense. With a respectable streamer it is a very fluid, liquid sounding DAC.
It presents music with lifelike naturalness. It is not the best at detail retrieval. But it plays music with an ease that is completely addictive."

I've been trying to convey this message since I got my A1 Gumby in 2016. This says it all. It now goes onto my stack of things I can enjoy w/o worrying about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• zexk
Back