Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 18, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #6,796 of 7,080
Well mine's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #6,797 of 7,080
People probably either stepped up to Yggy or down to BF2.
Well, when the BF got balanced out and close enough performance to a Gumby, the Gumby became an endangered species.

I'd be disappointed if @Baldr, Dave and Ivana couldn't beat the performance of a BF with all the added space of the Gumby chassis. Come to think of it, the Gumby chassis will probably go away as well with the new chassis paradigm....
Well mine's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Mine, neither.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #6,799 of 7,080
Mine stays as well

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #6,800 of 7,080
Not sure if my experience (and others) is pertinent to what you're asking but the Gungnir will put up a fuss when a CD is paused using certain CD transports (see discussion starting around page 269/270 & 382). Using a Cambridge CXC transport, when my Gungnir with A1 board arrived a few months ago I found that it clicked INSANELY while discs were paused. After googling the problem I found the discussion on this thread and if I had known about it prior, I maybe would have re-thought my purchase of the Gungnir.
Had the CXC and Gungnir MB A1 since 2016. Given the sound I could care less about the clicks. Alternates: Turn down the volume, keep playing the cut, ignore it, stop the CD
Since I had just received the Gungnir (in mint condition) and I really liked the CXC, I went with the recommendation of adding a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker (and added a Swagman LPS) and VOILA! No more insane clicking! And beleive me, living without being able to pause CDs is a pain which you don't realize until you can't!
Reactions differ...
And not only was the clicking gone but the soundstage got wider & better defined and the top end got more "relaxed" sounding without giving up any air or spatial qualities. If anything, spacial qualities were better. As results will typically vary, you can see below what I'm using as a small (modest) CD-based system.

So, again, I'm not sure if it's pertinent but I thought I'd share my experience.
No comment either way - but I'd have to hear that blind A/B, and I'm not going to get around to it.

My Gumby head to head vs my former $15k+ analog set up on the same 1k cuts was equal or better except for about 3 seconds total on 2 cuts (lost my notes don't remember which). My 12.1k vinyl collection and analog playback long gone.... Gumby still here.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #6,801 of 7,080
Mar 19, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #6,802 of 7,080
Alternates: Turn down the volume, keep playing the cut, ignore it, stop the CD
= pain in the ass (for me). And as a bonus, the improvements the reclocker provided (again in MY system) more than made up for the added expense.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #6,803 of 7,080
Jason also said it would be a couple years if it came back. So that means they are not even working on an upgrade. It does leave a gap in the lineup in chassis size and price.

But if it didn't sell well enough then I see them walking away from it. People probably either stepped up to Yggy or down to BF2.
I have a pretty good feeling that the form factor will come back. Possibly with their their D/S design, 'singularity' or maybe an FPGA design. If either is on the horizon then it wouldn't really make sense to redesign with their new supply of TI DSPs.

I think it's time for me to go ahead and send mine in for a Unison USB upgrade. I was only holding out in case they do some kind of Yggy-style chassis upgrade.

I'd be disappointed if @Baldr, Dave and Ivana couldn't beat the performance of a BF with all the added space of the Gumby chassis. Come to think of it, the Gumby chassis will probably go away as well with the new chassis paradigm....

Mine, neither.
I really couldn't see them ditching the 16x8 chassis. Especially with the popularity of the Freya and other recent/coming products such as Folkvangr, Mjolnir, Urd, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #6,805 of 7,080
A silver MB Gumby popped up on close out at Schiit.com. I knee jerk bought it. I’ve got a Mjolnir 2 on the way as well.

Hopefully this will be a nice upgrade from a Modius/Magnius stack and pump some more life into my LCD-X and XC.

Apr 15, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #6,807 of 7,080
Congrats. I think you’ll be happy.

I would be surprised if I wasn’t. Kudos to Schiit getting it in the mail just a couple hours after I ordered it. It will get here tomorrow.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #6,808 of 7,080
Gungnir is here and hooked up!

Unfortunately Equalizer APO/Peace has stopped working.

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #6,809 of 7,080
Anyone still use Delta Sigma Gungnir in their system? I bought a used one from a fellow head-fier recently and found it to be a pretty nice sounding DAC. However, sound quality using USB input was pretty mediocre due to it being Gen 2. I later added a Wyrd between it and my PC and that added some improvements to the sound quality, much preferred over S/PDIF. I know majority of the folks who have or had one much preferred the Multibit version, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether if I should get the Multibit upgrade when I already have a BF2 OG. I did some A/B comparison between the Gungnir D/S and BF2 OG using Freya S and found both to be equally good. Would it be logical to upgrade the USB to Gen 5 (assuming I can find one). I know there's Unison upgrade but that would require me to send the unit back. With the cost of the board plus tax plus shipping and this being non MB model, it doesn't seem feasible.

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #6,810 of 7,080
... However, sound quality using USB input was pretty mediocre due to it being Gen 2. I later added a Wyrd between it and my PC and that added some improvements to the sound quality, much preferred over S/PDIF. ...
Wyrd is a nice little device but there are much better devices like it out there, nowadays. Instead of the upgrade, maybe one of those?

The hassle of USB and the price of these devices turned me away from it as a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back