Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 15, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #6,841 of 7,049
MB Gungnirs with the A2 board and gen 5 usb shouldn't cost that much, but how much better than your bifrost (a 2 or a 2/64)? 2/64, maybe not much.

A Gungnir with an A1 and unison would cost more, but, the chassis and boards in it are at least 5.5 -> 10 yrs old. I have one, it's going nowhere, but a friend thats got the bug (660, Clear OG, Ananda; Liquid Platnum in the last 60 days), I'm trying to talk him into a new bifrost 2/64, but not a used (only way now) Gumby, and certainly not a DS, or the cost of a DS -> MB and update to unison.
I actually have a DS Gungnir and it does not sound that bad when used with an Eitr. I have it and a BF2 connected to my Freya S, and there were times where I thought I was listening to the BF2 only to realized that the Gungnir was selected. I had some thoughts of getting it upgraded with Unison and Multibit, but the total price would be close to getting a new Gumby (when it was still available) and with shorter warranty.

May 15, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #6,842 of 7,049
I actually have a DS Gungnir and it does not sound that bad when used with an Eitr.
Ahh, interesting.
I have it and a BF2 connected to my Freya S, and there were times where I thought I was listening to the BF2 only to realized that the Gungnir was selected. I had some thoughts of getting it upgraded with Unison and Multibit, but the total price would be close to getting a new Gumby (when it was still available) and with shorter warranty.
Yeah that's major coin at this point given the age and that the technology is still moving forward.

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #6,845 of 7,049
Ok. I just got myself a Gumby. However, I just noticed a weird issue where I would hear pop/click sound coming from my speakers and headphones whenever I switch inputs. The sound comes right after the relay click from the DAC. I was not able to replicate the issue with my AKM Gungnir. This is happening on both XLR and SE out. Has anyone experienced such issue?

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #6,846 of 7,049
From the Gungnir manual:

Hey, this thing clicks between songs/between inputs/etc!
Yes, it does.

Care to explain why, smartass?
Sure. That’s the muting relay engaging when there’s no input. Many computer sources turn off the digital audio output between songs and when changing sampling rates. We went with a muting relay because it’s the best way to ensure there are no clicks or pops when the input is unlocked. But it does click a bit.

Jul 1, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #6,847 of 7,049
Has anyone had the USB stop working altogether on their gungnir?

I was listening to mine earlier and the audio dropped out a few times and now the device won't pick up on my macbook or my windows desktop.

I've tried 3 different usb a to usb b cords and none seem to make a difference.

I think my gungnir is an older unit, would it make sense to pop for the one of the USB upgrades in this case (to replace what im assuming is a broken/faulty board)?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #6,848 of 7,049
Has anyone had the USB stop working altogether on their gungnir?

I was listening to mine earlier and the audio dropped out a few times and now the device won't pick up on my macbook or my windows desktop.

I've tried 3 different usb a to usb b cords and none seem to make a difference.

I think my gungnir is an older unit, would it make sense to pop for the one of the USB upgrades in this case (to replace what im assuming is a broken/faulty board)?
Yes, I do have the same problem with usb port. The signal was weak and then dead completely. Schiit uses cheap usb components and many will be dead after years of running 24/7. Solution is buying a DDC and use other Schiit Gungnir ports. Turn out other ports give better performance than the USB.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #6,849 of 7,049
Yes, I do have the same problem with usb port. The signal was weak and then dead completely. Schiit uses cheap usb components and many will be dead after years of running 24/7. Solution is buying a DDC and use other Schiit Gungnir ports. Turn out other ports give better performance than the USB.
I agree ... and would add that I found the BNC port to be better than RCA, when I had the Gungnir.

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #6,850 of 7,049

That is quite disappointing given the price of the unit, but I suppose I'm glad it was likely not user error.

I really want to like schiit's products but this the second time I've had one of their products fail on me (mjollnir kept popping fuses for no reason).

I'll try out the fiber optic and see how well that works. I have half a mind to get rid of this unit. What faith could I possibly have that getting the unison/multibut upgrade card wouldn't also fail in another couple of year's time as well.

Jul 1, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #6,851 of 7,049
That is quite disappointing given the price of the unit, but I suppose I'm glad it was likely not user error.

I really want to like schiit's products but this the second time I've had one of their products fail on me (mjollnir kept popping fuses for no reason).

I'll try out the fiber optic and see how well that works. I have half a mind to get rid of this unit. What faith could I possibly have that getting the unison/multibut upgrade card wouldn't also fail in another couple of year's time as well.
From my experience, I feel like the Gungnir is not that reliable when compared to other Schiit DACs that I have. I bought two used units a few months ago with both ended up being DOA. The third unit I bought recently ended up with popping noise when switching inputs, and it is a lightly used one too. I ended up sending it in for repair since it was something minor and got the seller to pay for shipping.

If you want to use USB, just like what other have said, it's best to use a DDC like a Schiit Eitr which is same as USB Gen 5 or Douk Audio U2 Pro. Both my Gungnirs, Delta Sigma and Multibit sound better with the Eitr through coaxial than using the built-in USB input. If you dont have the Multibit version then getting Unison USB might make the sound more harsh. You don't want a detailed sounding DAC to have more details, that could end up causing listener fatigue. If you want Multibit, I feel like it will be cheaper to sell yours and get a used one. Since Multibit upgrade is $500, with tax and shipping, you're getting close to a used Gungnir Multibit price.

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #6,852 of 7,049
Never had any issues with my 3 year old bifrost 2 or my bought used almost 2 years ago gungnir A2 gen 5. Used them both with usb extensively but use coax/BNC as those are almost always better on any DAC anyway sound wise IMO. Although I could use both dacs USB without complaint.

Jul 1, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #6,853 of 7,049
I've had my Gumby since August 2015, days after the release of the multibit version. It's been on 24/7 since then, apart from a couple of power outages, and has provided nothing but musical bliss in all that time.

JC

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #6,854 of 7,049
While it's true that using other inputs will provide better performance, I think it's a bit far-fetched to say they use cheap USB components. There would be a lot more failures if that was the case, and not just the USB board in the Gungnir but also boards in the Bifrost 1/2 and Yggdrasil as well.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #6,855 of 7,049
I've had my Gumby since August 2015, days after the release of the multibit version. It's been on 24/7 since then, apart from a couple of power outages, and has provided nothing but musical bliss in all that time.

JC
Got mine in 2016, did the Gen 5 update myself, had the Unison done a few months ago. No issues. Great sound out of both Coax and USB.

I leave mine on all the time except power failures and serious electrical storms. Most SS equipment wears out more from frequent on/off cycles (not including gear that has an idle current) than being left on. Also turn on thumps are greatly reduced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back