Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 5, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #6,016 of 7,049
@565hunter - do you know if Schiit has been putting that multibit sticker on upgraded units from the beginning? I had mine upgraded by them and it didn't come back with the sticker. While I'm at it, are there other ways to identify which version I have?

May 5, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #6,017 of 7,049
@565hunter - do you know if Schiit has been putting that multibit sticker on upgraded units from the beginning? I had mine upgraded by them and it didn't come back with the sticker. While I'm at it, are there other ways to identify which version I have?
If you sent it in for an upgrade and didn't get the Multibit sticker I'm sure it was an oversight. Schiit is a very honorable company and would not take your money without doing the upgrade. If you really are suspect that the upgrade wasn't done you can verify by removing the cover and visually inspecting the boards inside.The Multibit board is a single board. The Delta-Sigma version uses 2 boards side by side. If you go to their website both versions are pictured.

May 24, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #6,018 of 7,049
How does the Gumby compare to the Holo Audio Spring2 Level 1?

May 29, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #6,020 of 7,049
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #6,024 of 7,049
I did check it while music was playing and both were same voltage.
What exactly did you measure? To measure DC offset of a DAC output, ideally you'd measure while playing a track that is dead silence, and measure the voltage between + and ground on each channel. Ideally, both channels would measure zero volts during silence. Any difference from zero would be the DC offset. Music (sound) is an AC signal, and while music is playing you really can't measure DC offset with a simple meter.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #6,025 of 7,049
What exactly did you measure? To measure DC offset of a DAC output, ideally you'd measure while playing a track that is dead silence, and measure the voltage between + and ground on each channel. Ideally, both channels would measure zero volts during silence. Any difference from zero would be the DC offset. Music (sound) is an AC signal, and while music is playing you really can't measure DC offset with a simple meter.
Actually I succeeded measuring the DC offset with a simple voltmeter both while playing a silent track (obtained by inverting a waveform in a wave processor and mix-pasting it on top of the original one) and by playing actual music. In my case, the DC offset was huge though (4VDC).

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #6,027 of 7,049
So, has anyone done the unison upgrade? Would you say it's worth it vs Gen V?
+1

Also interested in anyone that can compare Gungnir Multibit V2 Unison with Denafrips Ares II. Been combing the web for info, saw one person preferred Gungnir to ADI-2 and saw another prefer Ares II to Gungir MB.

Still on a quest to find a a desktop sized DAC that can provide euphoric sound with my Topping A90 pre-amp + Bakoon Amp-13R + Hifiman Susvara.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #6,030 of 7,049
I wish Schiit would develop cross-platform capable DAC cards! D/S and MD both. As such, the same cards would work in a Bifrost or a Gungnir. One card in the Bifrost and 2 cards for a Gungnir. Keep costs reasonable, that way. I could then upgrade my Gungnir with a set of 4490 DAC cards, or even better, 4493 cards. I like the D/S sound signature, and would find this more appealing than the MB upgrade.

Speaking of which, I wonder if 2 Bifrost 4490 upgrade cards, would work in my Gungnir...??? Same designer, and similar architecture and pin out connections. I've really been wondering if it would work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back