Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 28, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #4,906 of 7,050
Greetings everyone! I'm in need of sage advice, given I'm an old analogue guy. I have an old set of speakers, Dahlquist DQ10's and have just upgraded to a Bryston 4b3 amp and am using an Ayre K5mpxe preamp. Given these modern electronics, I need to upgrade my sources. While my Schiit mani is alright, it's the weak link in the chain and the fact is, while I enjoy records, I'd prefer convenience, now and variety. So, I'm looking at dacs as an alternative, rather than upgrading my phono pre.

The Schiit gumby has so many positive reviews that I'm leaning in its favour. The Yaggy, from what I understand, gives you more resolution, but not necessarily as much prat. My system, as it is, is anything but warm - these new modern amps are a thing to behold, have no sonic character of their own and reflect faithfully the sound signature of the source and therefore, I'm looking for joyful musicality. Am I right in believing the Gumby is the favoured choice, in this regard?

More importantly, I understand the Yaggy has had a recent, but quiet design change; will this also apply to the Gumby, or, has it already? I don't want to buy in now, if this is the best choice, only to discover there's a $500 upgrade in a few months.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks,

John

One consideration I would offer is that the Yggy is on par with the rest of your electronics. Both the Ayre and Bryston pieces you have are basically end game, unless you want to throw serious money at your system. The Yggy 2 is end game for a DAC, unless you want to crank into 5 digit units. You've invested wisely in your electronics, one more step and then you can kick back and enjoy your tunes.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #4,907 of 7,050
Love my Gumby but, with the electronics you have, and the recent improvement to the Yggy, it would be hard to say no to it.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #4,908 of 7,050
My greatest worry about the Yggy stems from comments I've read about it lacking musicality, as compared to the Gumby. My system is so hyper transparent that it's completely source dependent, is how I would describe it and while resolution is a wonderful thing, there's so much more to it. I'm not saying the Yggy is lacking, because I don't know that it is, but the comments I've read make me less sure about purchasing it. I'd like the outcome of my efforts to result in enjoyable musicality. If anyone can clarify on the "musicality" issue, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #4,909 of 7,050
The best I've heard the Yggy (A1) sound was when paired with the WA5 amp. That's somewhat a warm amp.
Also heard it paired with the Rag and the sound was a bit clinical. Less warmth than with the WA5.
Both those pairings were heard with un-modded HD800 headphones.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #4,910 of 7,050
My greatest worry about the Yggy stems from comments I've read about it lacking musicality, as compared to the Gumby. My system is so hyper transparent that it's completely source dependent, is how I would describe it and while resolution is a wonderful thing, there's so much more to it. I'm not saying the Yggy is lacking, because I don't that it is, but the comments I've read make me less sure about purchasing it. If anyone can clarify on the "musicality" issue, I'd certainly appreciate it.

I have not compared Yggy to Gumby, but I bought one of the first Yggy's built, and got the upgrade ASAP. "Musical" is an interesting term in regards to a DAC, is the recording musical or is that a sonic character of the DAC adding something to the music that is not on the recording? I find Yggy 2 to be a musical feast, and I find myself fully engaged in my listening, whether it's a deep and focused session, or more casually over breakfast while I chat with fellow Schiit-heads on Head-Fi.

The only downside to Yggy 2 is that I know that upgrading my speakers would be worthwhile, but Mr. Plastic is begging for mercy following the Yggy upgrade, and the rest of life (food, gas, and other "essentials"). :scream_cat:

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #4,911 of 7,050
I think, net, based on other posts above (considering your pre-amp and amp), if you go with the GMB you'll still be wondering if it's the "weak link" in your system.
That is a really crappy sentence, but I think you get my idea. Good luck with the journey!

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #4,912 of 7,050
RCBinTN, that's how my Schiit mani is with my Zana, the amp makes the sound palatable; however, through my speaker system, the mani sounds clinical and mostly 2 dimensional - this is my worry about the Yggy, would not be happy reproducing the Mani experience, although I know that's not likely.

And, US Blues, I hear you! And, that's right, not the cheapest of hobbies and I'd hate to buy in and find that I'm not happy (I know it's part of the hobby, though, just trying to safeguard against it). To hear you describe your listening experiences, US Blues, makes the Yggy quite inviting.

Another consideration: I've developed tinnitus (good grief) and so how are these dacs at low volume listening?

Thanks,

John

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #4,913 of 7,050
I have not compared Yggy to Gumby, but I bought one of the first Yggy's built, and got the upgrade ASAP. "Musical" is an interesting term in regards to a DAC, is the recording musical or is that a sonic character of the DAC adding something to the music that is not on the recording? I find Yggy 2 to be a musical feast, and I find myself fully engaged in my listening, whether it's a deep and focused session, or more casually over breakfast while I chat with fellow Schiit-heads on Head-Fi.

The only downside to Yggy 2 is that I know that upgrading my speakers would be worthwhile, but Mr. Plastic is begging for mercy following the Yggy upgrade, and the rest of life (food, gas, and other "essentials"). :scream_cat:

Musical refers to the sense that the DAC does not emphasize the upper treble which while it contains a lot of detail, it grows fatiguing after a while. The Yggy is considered neutral/bright even after a long time of warming up while the Gumby is neutral/warm. Everyone has different tolerances, Aornic listens to Focal Utopias off a Yggy which would sound like swords in my head if I copied the same setup. Also consider that the Gumby has better soundstage than the Yggy which is a great plus to the HD800 which already has a super wide stage to begin with.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #4,914 of 7,050
I don't think you can go wrong with either the GMB or Yggy. Both will beat the Mani by a big margin.
I was amazed in the SQ improvement when I upgraded from Gungnir DS to GMB. The level of detail in the music just exploded.
So, that too is a consideration. Both DACs will reveal the source very clearly. Well-produced/mastered music sounds amazing.
Since you have a touch of tinnitus, maybe the slightly brighter Yggy sound makes sense...

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #4,915 of 7,050
RCBinTN, that's how my Schiit mani is with my Zana, the amp makes the sound palatable; however, through my speaker system, the mani sounds clinical and mostly 2 dimensional - this is my worry about the Yggy, would not be happy reproducing the Mani experience, although I know that's not likely.

And, US Blues, I hear you! And, that's right, not the cheapest of hobbies and I'd hate to buy in and find that I'm not happy (I know it's part of the hobby, though, just trying to safeguard against it). To hear you describe your listening experiences, US Blues, makes the Yggy quite inviting.

Another consideration: I've developed tinnitus (good grief) and so how are these dacs at low volume listening?

Thanks,

John

I have some tinnitus too, and so I keep the levels low (most of the time). All my observations above still apply. I would add that with Yggy my experience is that what I hear has far more to do with how things were recorded, mixed, and mastered, than the Yggy itself. Like your other electronics it becomes transparent.

Of course, some of my favorite music was produced in a lamentable fashion, or was recorded live in concert. Hence my interest in a Loki Maxi (w/balance control).

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #4,916 of 7,050
I think the Schiit DACs are very good for low level listening given my experience with the Uber and the Gumby. Now, some music demands to be loud but that's a different thing.

I think, maybe, an Yggy and a Loki might suit the desire for musicality. If the Yggy is too <xyz> then the Loki can be used to tame it.

No way to get an Yggy to listen to?

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #4,917 of 7,050
Thank you all for your responses, appreciated. Neutral/bright may not be the best approach as the system seems already bent in this direction, at least with the Mani - the only working source I have, at the moment.

If I go with the Gumby, I’ll wait out the analogue 2 update.

Unfortunately, the border complicates a trial listen.

Again, thank you!

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #4,918 of 7,050
Dear all,

I have not posted here for quite a while. I am so happy with my Gumby USB Gen 5 fed by Audirvana from a 2009 Mac Mini, Vidar, and Freya...

However, because of curiosity I started to tinker around with a Rasberry Pi 3B+. I am very happy: There is a way to use the RPI like a microRendu, and the SQ is indeed clearly improved (more details, more open) in comparison to the Mac USB output.

If you are curious: I am running DietPi on the RPI, and I use Audirvana as the source (Audirvana supports network player now). I am simply using the USB output of the RPI. I have an Allo Digione coming my way and a better power supply. Let's see if it is noticable if I cut out all the USB conversion.

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,919 of 7,050
God morning/afternoon
New Gumby owner (and Mjolnir 2) here and still a somewhat noob with electronics so please bare with me if this is such a simple answer to my question. I’m still learning at my old age.

Gumby has 2 SE and 2 Balanced outputs. I own a Sys because I had a LYR2, Jot and Ember 2 sourced through a Mimby. Still have the Ember and want to use it. Worked great with no issues.

With that out of the way, do I still need to use the SYS if I want to use the Ember with the Gumby and Mjolnir 2? Or can I just input the MJ2 into one of the SE inputs and the Ember into the other SE input? Will this cause issues or am I thinking this through completely wrong? Of course both amps wouldn’t be on at the same time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #4,920 of 7,050
God morning/afternoon
New Gumby owner (and Mjolnir 2) here and still a somewhat noob with electronics so please bare with me if this is such a simple answer to my question. I’m still learning at my old age.

Gumby has 2 SE and 2 Balanced outputs. I own a Sys because I had a LYR2, Jot and Ember 2 sourced through a Mimby. Still have the Ember and want to use it. Worked great with no issues.

With that out of the way, do I still need to use the SYS if I want to use the Ember with the Gumby and Mjolnir 2? Or can I just input the MJ2 into one of the SE inputs and the Ember into the other SE input? Will this cause issues or am I thinking this through completely wrong? Of course both amps wouldn’t be on at the same time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

All the outputs on the Gumby are 'on' all the time so whatever is connected will get the analog signal sent to them. Don't use SE w/ the Mjolnir it sounds best fully balanced from end to end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back