Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #4,891 of 7,093
Hey guys,
Quick question for everyone. I have a Gumby with USB Gen 5. I have two choices for a source component. Chromecast Audio (Optical SPDIF (up to 96k)) and a dedicated Intel Nuc with windows WASAPI drives for the Gen 5 USB. If you guys were in my position which one would you use. I have always heard USB is never what you want to use, but based on my reading the USB Gen 5 implementation is supposed to be on par with the other inputs on the Gumby. I do have some source files up to 192k, but they are the minority. I ask because I hear a slight difference, neither good nor, bad, just slight and I wanted to know what others think. I also tend to believe that Optical SPDIF is Optical SPDIF so I would imagine the Chromcast Audio is probably fine, but I have read other places that people are not to happy with them for HiFi listening. The wonders of the hobby.
Why not connect and use both? I do. If you have streaming services (Tidal, Spotify, Google), it is incredibly convenient to play them from your phone or tablet through Chromecast Audio. The biggest drawback of Chromecast Audio is that it doesn't support gapless playback.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,892 of 7,093
I'm curious what my next upgrade should be. I have a Jotunheim with the balanced DAC, which sounds good to me, but is the entry level DS on par with the Modi if I understand. I have HD6xx, Aeon Flow C, and Emu-Teaks [on the way].

I use mainly AAC 256 files. Would a Gumby be a significant improvement? I'd be running balanced.

Is the Gumby as bright as the Jot balanced DAC? I like things more toward the the bright/detailed side.

I've got the iDSD micro BL for a warmer DAC option too.

Thanks

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #4,893 of 7,093
I've got to chime in here and note that you're using files that have been stored using LOSSY compression.
Therefore, while a better DAC might give you a slight overall improvement, your files are quite probably the limiting factor.

I'm curious what my next upgrade should be. I have a Jotunheim with the balanced DAC, which sounds good to me, but is the entry level DS on par with the Modi if I understand. I have HD6xx, Aeon Flow C, and Emu-Teaks [on the way].

I use mainly AAC 256 files. Would a Gumby be a significant improvement? I'd be running balanced.

Is the Gumby as bright as the Jot balanced DAC? I like things more toward the the bright/detailed side.

I've got the iDSD micro BL for a warmer DAC option too.

Thanks

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #4,894 of 7,093
I've got to chime in here and note that you're using files that have been stored using LOSSY compression.
Therefore, while a better DAC might give you a slight overall improvement, your files are quite probably the limiting factor.

OK thanks. I can't seem to tell the difference between FLAC and AAC 256 lossy with my current system on A/B testing websites or with comparing files of the same song but different bit rates. I only get the correct answer ~ 60% of the time or so.

I have been able to note improvements going from the MacBook Pro DAC to DFR/iDSD micro BL/Jot balanced DACs.

I've seen other people state they noted an improvement even with lossy music files with the Gumby.

Maybe though moving to a DAC of this quality requires lossless files to appreciate differences?

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #4,895 of 7,093
Let's just say that a higher-quality DAC and better headphones will make the differences between different types of files more noticeable than with lower quality ones..
Beyond that, it does depend on what sorts of music you listen to, and how sensitive you happen to be to particular strengths and limitations.

OK thanks. I can't seem to tell the difference between FLAC and AAC 256 lossy with my current system on A/B testing websites or with comparing files of the same song but different bit rates. I only get the correct answer ~ 60% of the time or so.

I have been able to note improvements going from the MacBook Pro DAC to DFR/iDSD micro BL/Jot balanced DACs.

I've seen other people state they noted an improvement even with lossy music files with the Gumby.

Maybe though moving to a DAC of this quality requires lossless files to appreciate differences?

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #4,896 of 7,093

I started with Jot+internal DAC, and upgrading the DAC did make a noticeable difference even with a lossy source (Spotify in my case, although I also have lossless sources as well). That said, a Gumby is big and expensive, and if you listen to AAC then you won't be taking full advantage of its performance. You might consider one of the smaller, cheaper options — Bimby, Mimby, or the new Jot MultiBit DAC card.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #4,897 of 7,093
I started with Jot+internal DAC, and upgrading the DAC did make a noticeable difference even with a lossy source (Spotify in my case, although I also have lossless sources as well). That said, a Gumby is big and expensive, and if you listen to AAC then you won't be taking full advantage of its performance. You might consider one of the smaller, cheaper options — Bimby, Mimby, or the new Jot MultiBit DAC card.

And here I was hoping to be convinced to buy the Gumby :)

That’s really cool the Jotunheim has a Multibit option. That was just announced yesterday? It looks like it isn’t balanced though. Not sure how much balanced makes a difference.

Maybe it makes sense for me to get the Gumby and then start updating my files to lossless.

Can the Jot sit on top of the Gumby OK? I haven’t seen that configuration in any photos.

Thanks again

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #4,900 of 7,093
Quote:

I don't know how any one could expect the Gungnir to outgun the Nad given the difference in price and the very good reviews the Nad has been getting but the Gungnir should be a sure thing with your Mjolnir with regards synergy.
Have you had any Schiit before?

You say: " I don't know how any one could expect the Gungnir to outgun the Nad". (?). Lol.
The Modi-2 Uber likely sounds better.
I suspect the 'Gungnir' is in another league to the NAD.

Yes. No. Maybe ?

pj

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #4,901 of 7,093
You say: " I don't know how any one could expect the Gungnir to outgun the Nad". (?). Lol.
The Modi-2 Uber likely sounds better.
I suspect the 'Gungnir' is in another league to the NAD.

Yes. No. Maybe ?

pj
Do you realize that you're commenting on a post from almost 6 years ago?
Did Modi-2 Uber even exist back then? Edit: the answer is no. Modi-2 Uber didn't come until years later

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #4,902 of 7,093
Greetings everyone! I'm in need of sage advice, given I'm an old analogue guy. I have an old set of speakers, Dahlquist DQ10's and have just upgraded to a Bryston 4b3 amp and am using an Ayre K5mpxe preamp. Given these modern electronics, I need to upgrade my sources. While my Schiit mani is alright, it's the weak link in the chain and the fact is, while I enjoy records, I'd prefer convenience, now and variety. So, I'm looking at dacs as an alternative, rather than upgrading my phono pre.

The Schiit gumby has so many positive reviews that I'm leaning in its favour. The Yaggy, from what I understand, gives you more resolution, but not necessarily as much prat. My system, as it is, is anything but warm - these new modern amps are a thing to behold, have no sonic character of their own and reflect faithfully the sound signature of the source and therefore, I'm looking for joyful musicality. Am I right in believing the Gumby is the favoured choice, in this regard?

More importantly, I understand the Yaggy has had a recent, but quiet design change; will this also apply to the Gumby, or, has it already? I don't want to buy in now, if this is the best choice, only to discover there's a $500 upgrade in a few months.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #4,903 of 7,093
Greetings everyone! I'm in need of sage advice, given I'm an old analogue guy. I have an old set of speakers, Dahlquist DQ10's and have just upgraded to a Bryston 4b3 amp and am using an Ayre K5mpxe preamp. Given these modern electronics, I need to upgrade my sources. While my Schiit mani is alright, it's the weak link in the chain and the fact is, while I enjoy records, I'd prefer convenience, now and variety. So, I'm looking at dacs as an alternative, rather than upgrading my phono pre.

The Schiit gumby has so many positive reviews that I'm leaning in its favour. The Yaggy, from what I understand, gives you more resolution, but not necessarily as much prat. My system, as it is, is anything but warm - these new modern amps are a thing to behold, have no sonic character of their own and reflect faithfully the sound signature of the source and therefore, I'm looking for joyful musicality. Am I right in believing the Gumby is the favoured choice, in this regard?

More importantly, I understand the Yaggy has had a recent, but quiet design change; will this also apply to the Gumby, or, has it already? I don't want to buy in now, if this is the best choice, only to discover there's a $500 upgrade in a few months.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Nothing has been announced for the Gumby but it seems like a fair assumption that it will receive equivalent changes at some point. By chance I bought a Gumby just days before the Yggy upgrade was announced. It's great that these Schiit DACs can be upgraded but I wasn't thrilled with the idea that a $500 upgrade (plus another ~$100 in shipping) could potentially be coming so soon after just spending $1250. Of course the upgrade isn't required but I knew I would want it so I had to factor that into the overall investment. This pushed me to return the Gumby and spring the extra money for the Yggy.

Unfortunately I didn't have the Gumby and Yggy at the same time, nor did I have the Gumby long enough to form solid comparisons from memory. I can't say that one obviously stood out as more musical than the other but I'll add that the level of detail with the Yggy is striking to me in a way that I don't recall with the Gumby. Because of that I'm pleased with my decision but I very much enjoyed the Gumby too and would have been perfectly happy with it if I lived under a rock and never heard the Analog 2.0 news.

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #4,904 of 7,093
Nothing has been announced for the Gumby but it seems like a fair assumption that it will receive equivalent changes at some point.
I agree...I hope Schiit decides to upgrade GMB with the Yggy (or similar) analog output stage (that now includes dither!).
To me, the GMB is a very musical and enjoyable DAC. Not as resolving as the Yggy, but it's 1/2 the price!
It is also fully hardware balanced (like Yggy) - read Mike's last post for an explanation of that.
The GMB and Yggy are the only Schiit DACs that are hardware balanced.
And, the addition of the Gen 5 USB was huge, IME. I was using an optical connection (Mac - GMB) but the Gen 5 USB beats optical in SQ.

ps. I bet that Bryston amp will rock the planet @Dr.J. If you're strictly 2-channel here, the Yggy may make more sense...I've heard comments that Yggy works better in a 2-channel system than does the GMB.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #4,905 of 7,093
Thank you, both! Auditioning both units would be nice, but the opportunity is complicated by the border. And, with the current US/Canada exchange rate, the Yggy, for me, becomes quite expensive. Nothing seems easy, these days, but I appreciate your responses!

Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back