Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #4,876 of 7,093
Has anyone paired a Gungnir with their LCD-X? I'm looking for a new DAC to replace my Mojo in the chain, and I might go for either the DS or the Multibit version. The amp I'm using is the Auralic Taurus MKII. Both headphone and amp are pretty transparent/neutral, so if the Gungnir adds a bit warmth that's alright.

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #4,878 of 7,093
Has anyone paired a Gungnir with their LCD-X? I'm looking for a new DAC to replace my Mojo in the chain, and I might go for either the DS or the Multibit version. The amp I'm using is the Auralic Taurus MKII. Both headphone and amp are pretty transparent/neutral, so if the Gungnir adds a bit warmth that's alright.

With the advent of Yggdrasil A2, the price for the Gungnir won’t be a worthwhile upgrade from Mojo. I recommend to go to the top with Yggdrasil A2 or Chord Qutest if spending more than 1000 USD on a DAC

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #4,882 of 7,093
What if one doesn't have the disposable income to do as you suggest?

First ignore that advice since:

1) not everyone prefers ygg (I don't, at least in my system)
2) not always yggi has the better synergy
3) you buy, within your budget and your reason, the best you can afford and that doesn't mean more expensive = better, for you, or anyone else for that matter.

Second, if possible try them both, with your headphones before buying (having the amp would be "perfect" but that's difficult).

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #4,883 of 7,093
First ignore that advice since:

1) not everyone prefers ygg (I don't, at least in my system)
2) not always yggi has the better synergy
3) you buy, within your budget and your reason, the best you can afford and that doesn't mean more expensive = better, for you, or anyone else for that matter.

Second, if possible try them both, with your headphones before buying (having the amp would be "perfect" but that's difficult).
I was kind of giving him a hard time because on another occasion, his advice was to just go and buy the TOTL equipment. That isn’t always possible for others.

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #4,884 of 7,093
I was kind of giving him a hard time because on another occasion, his advice was to just go and buy the TOTL equipment. That isn’t always possible for others.

I personally haven't done a A/B comparison and can't comment on the new analog 2 board however, littered though out the internet people have done so. The general consensus that I found was that there is only a slight improvement moving from gumby to yggy and at double the price that wasn't worth it to me and that's why I went with the gumby. I know that's all very subjective but, isn't everything in audio. LOL :dt880smile:

I actually just bought my gumby not long ago, it's still in the mail.

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,885 of 7,093
I think people should specify which headphones they use to listen to through their Gumby because it would help justify the purchase to someone. For me, while I like the Gumby and I think it's main point of power is its large soundstage I can't necessarily hear a ton of details but that's also because I prefer a warm signature. Someone who owns a Utopia might say the Gumby is really good in terms of detail retrieval. YMMV really applies to this type of purchase.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #4,886 of 7,093
I think people should specify which headphones they use to listen to through their Gumby
I use my Gumby with speakers so that's a possibility, too.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #4,887 of 7,093
I think people should specify which headphones they use to listen to through their Gumby because it would help justify the purchase to someone. For me, while I like the Gumby and I think it's main point of power is its large soundstage I can't necessarily hear a ton of details but that's also because I prefer a warm signature. Someone who owns a Utopia might say the Gumby is really good in terms of detail retrieval. YMMV really applies to this type of purchase.
HD650
DT880
D2000
K601
TX-X00 [ebony]
SR80-e
Elex [on the way]
HE4XX [on the way]

My favorites in my possession are the DT880, followed by the HD650, with the K601 next. The D2000 and TX-X00 are brought out when I want a real change of pace. The SR80-e aren't used in a serious manner.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #4,888 of 7,093
Hey guys,
Quick question for everyone. I have a Gumby with USB Gen 5. I have two choices for a source component. Chromecast Audio (Optical SPDIF (up to 96k)) and a dedicated Intel Nuc with windows WASAPI drives for the Gen 5 USB. If you guys were in my position which one would you use. I have always heard USB is never what you want to use, but based on my reading the USB Gen 5 implementation is supposed to be on par with the other inputs on the Gumby. I do have some source files up to 192k, but they are the minority. I ask because I hear a slight difference, neither good nor, bad, just slight and I wanted to know what others think. I also tend to believe that Optical SPDIF is Optical SPDIF so I would imagine the Chromcast Audio is probably fine, but I have read other places that people are not to happy with them for HiFi listening. The wonders of the hobby.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #4,889 of 7,093
I feel like a child the day b4 Xmas...

I tried, I really tried to like the Chord 2Qute with all tweaks I made but I can’t. I hate that little basterd but I am gratefull it might have pointed me in the right direction :.) I love my Bifrost 4490 G5, even if it meassures bad against the Chord. At least it can make me enjoy my music for hours without fatique. So, hopefully I will love the Gumby with balanced cables even more.
:tophat:
:nerd:
:point_left::necktie::point_right:

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #4,890 of 7,093
Hey guys,
Quick question for everyone. I have a Gumby with USB Gen 5. I have two choices for a source component. Chromecast Audio (Optical SPDIF (up to 96k)) and a dedicated Intel Nuc with windows WASAPI drives for the Gen 5 USB. If you guys were in my position which one would you use. I have always heard USB is never what you want to use, but based on my reading the USB Gen 5 implementation is supposed to be on par with the other inputs on the Gumby. I do have some source files up to 192k, but they are the minority. I ask because I hear a slight difference, neither good nor, bad, just slight and I wanted to know what others think. I also tend to believe that Optical SPDIF is Optical SPDIF so I would imagine the Chromcast Audio is probably fine, but I have read other places that people are not to happy with them for HiFi listening. The wonders of the hobby.
I can only say that with the Bifrost 4490 G5 I prefer USB, but only slightly. Second is coax and last optical. But none are bad, the difference I hear could also be pure placebo :.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back