Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #3,901 of 7,049
  drolling at a GMB but im scared to spend loads of money on a DAC only to see something better sounding and better priced be released two years later.. currently rocking the modi 2u > Ragnarok > HE-400i.. haha

The good thing is Gungnir is upgradeable. That's one reason why I bought it. You can buy Gungnir DS first and upgrade later when you want.
But again DACs have lower disminishing return than amps, IMO so settling with Gungnir is probably the right choice for me.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #3,902 of 7,049
  The good thing is Gungnir is upgradeable. That's one reason why I bought it. You can buy Gungnir DS first and upgrade later when you want.
But again DACs have lower disminishing return than amps, IMO so settling with Gungnir is probably the right choice for me.

Please expand, what you mean by "DACs have lower disminishing return than amps", I am not quite sure what you mean by that. Resale value? Less impact per extra dollar spent?

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #3,905 of 7,049

Please expand, what you mean by "DACs have lower disminishing return than amps", I am not quite sure what you mean by that. Resale value? Less impact per extra dollar spent?

Below as explained.
  I guess he meant, a decent DAC is good already. The more money you spend on getting a better DAC is probably only "slightly" better than the decent one. Correct me if wrong.

Though to be precise, "good performance for less money" aka "great value" is better than just "decent" and I think the Gungnir is a great value for DAC.

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #3,906 of 7,049
Is the Gungnir going to be upgraded to the 2 x 4490 implementation that the Jotunheim uses has any time soon?

Right now the Gungnir still uses the older 2 x 4399...

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #3,908 of 7,049
  I don't think Schiit gonna announce it, if it happens.
Or if it already happened without us knowing, you can email them to ask.

If it's happening, then the specs on the website are out of date, as it still says the Gungir uses the 4399.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,912 of 7,049
  Then it isn't happening, yet.
Can ask if you want though, but I doubt we'll receive clear answer.

Sure, go for it! Would love to know.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #3,913 of 7,049

gumby was released just 18 months or so ago -- wouldn't anticipate a change in the near future.

Actually, I would expect them to change it for inventory reasons as soon as they're able.

Once they burn through their remaining pile of 4399 chips, I'd expect them to switch.

It's just more efficient to have one set of parts used across multiple products.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #3,914 of 7,049
Actually, I would expect them to change it for inventory reasons as soon as they're able.

Once they burn through their remaining pile of 4399 chips, I'd expect them to switch.

It's just more efficient to have one set of parts used across multiple products.
Agreed. But I believe it would only be a subtle improvement with the newer chips?

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #3,915 of 7,049

in post 3910, the poster was referring to the gumby.  it doesn't use the 4399 -- it uses Analog Devices AD5781BRUZ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back