Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 15, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #3,916 of 7,049
Right.  The original Gungnir uses the AKM AK4399 chips, but the GMB uses the AD5781BRUZ chips.  Straight off their site...FWIW friends.

http://schiit.com/products/gungnir-multibit

Anyway, my GMB sounds quite sublime to my ears.  Highly recommended!

Cheers,
RCB

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,917 of 7,049

in post 3910, the poster was referring to the gumby.  it doesn't use the 4399 -- it uses Analog Devices AD5781BRUZ. 

Okay, but in post #3906, I was asking about the DS version.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,918 of 7,049
Any Canadians who have gone through the upgrade process? I just wanna get some info for how hard this is gonna hit my wallet after shipping, customs/duty (if it did happen).

PM me if you are willing to share your final total cost (in CAD or USD is fine)! Just need to know how much I gotta save/set aside realistically for this to happen... cause it is GONNA HAPPEN
biggrin.gif
... just a matter of when I can scrap the cash together.

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #3,920 of 7,049
Nov 23, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,921 of 7,049
Disclaimer:  I never turn my Gumby off and I am not expert on jitter.  I am very happy with my Gumby.

I don''t want to start the old audible jitter threshold argument all over but I am not sure I could hear the reported jitter or phase effects.  The amplitude of the effect is small and if i am reading the graph correctly is largest at low frequencies that my Senn 800S are unlikely to be reproducing.  Call me insensitive.

Am I missing something?  

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #3,922 of 7,049
  Disclaimer:  I never turn my Gumby off and I am not expert on jitter.  I am very happy with my Gumby.

I don''t want to start the old audible jitter threshold argument all over but I am not sure I could hear the reported jitter or phase effects.  The amplitude of the effect is small and if i am reading the graph correctly is largest at low frequencies that my Senn 800S are unlikely to be reproducing.  Call me insensitive.

Am I missing something?  

I don't think you're missing anything.

I think you're correct -- the graph shows jitter above 100 Hz as being -130 dB.  This is below the noise floor of pretty much all electronics.

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #3,923 of 7,049
But we can perceive even beyond what is measurable apparently, at least according to:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/26295#post_13030847

Unfortunately the ear/brain is very sensitive to this issue - noise floor modulation makes things sound bright, hard and aggressive. But actually we can hear levels well below the measuring limits of the best test gear; I have had digital FFT's with noise floor of -200 dB modulating to -190dB - something you would never be able to measure as it would be swamped by analogue noise - but removing the noise floor modulation results in the SQ becoming warmer and smoother.

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #3,924 of 7,049
OK, I'll say it.  I own a Mojo and I think Robb did a great job with it.  That notwithstanding, I'm not sure I buy his claim without a lot more data/information.   I won't doubt that he heard a difference, but it's tempting to speculate that it was not caused by the noise-floor modulation to which he attributes it. Unless it produces a secondary or indirect effect which is much larger that results in an audible signal it's inaudible. I am operating under the assumption that for a signal to sound warmer there must be changes in the amplitude of something that are within audibility-- say less than 60-70dB down. If nothing else this claim demonstrates that what we measure may not be the right parameters, or at least the ones that cause the differences we are hearing.  I'll grant Robb that much.

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #3,926 of 7,049
  But we can perceive even beyond what is measurable apparently, at least according to:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/26295#post_13030847

Sorry, but I don't take an undocumented, data-less post on an internet forum as some kind of evidence of proof.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #3,927 of 7,049
Sorry, but I don't take an undocumented, data-less post on an internet forum as some kind of evidence of proof.

Rob watts is the dac designer for Chord, and knows what he's talking about. Believe what you will.

Schiit themselves say in the manual of the Yggy to leave it on all the time so there is a basis for the reasoning.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #3,928 of 7,049
Rob watts is the dac designer for Chord, and knows what he's talking about. Believe what you will.

I know who he is.  That doesn't make him immune to peer review.  Science and engineering don't advance just on say-so.  There are standards of evidence.

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Claiming something at -190 to -200 dB as audible is an extraordinary claim.

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,929 of 7,049

I know who he is.  That doesn't make him immune to peer review.  Science and engineering don't advance just on say-so.  There are standards of evidence.

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Claiming something at -190 to -200 dB as audible is an extraordinary claim.

There is interaction with the ear & brain that simply cannot be measured. Because we don't know how to measure it does not mean there is no audible difference. 

In this scenario your 'standards of evidence' would be your own listening tests and that of others confirming your findings. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,930 of 7,049

There is interaction with the ear & brain that simply cannot be measured. Because we don't know how to measure it does not mean there is no audible difference. 

In this scenario your 'standards of evidence' would be your own listening tests and that of others confirming your findings. 

Which is why we have ABX tests -- to make sure we're actually hearing something, and not just "hearing" a placebo.

When Chord presents a paper at an AES conference in which they conducted a statistically significant double blind test of this theory, then we'll have extraordinary evidence to back up the extraordinary claims.  Until then, all we have is a pseudo-hypothesis.

That being said, I leave all my electronics on all the time, cause it can't hurt and I'm lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back