Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 9, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #3,886 of 7,067
Indeed, I had to turn my Gumby off when I was moving it around trying to reduce transformer resonance (unsuccessfully) and when turned it back on again the sound was noticeably harsher and more closed in...

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #3,887 of 7,067
My initial impressions were just wow. It sounded like the burnedin Gungnir DS right out of the box.

Well, it sort of is / was a burned in model...they don't replace all the components.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #3,888 of 7,067

Well, it sort of is / was a burned in model...they don't replace all the components.

Fair but I feel the impact of preheating over days is more significant than burn-in.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #3,890 of 7,067
oh my, means that my gumby has reached its maximum potential already?
frown.gif

No, if you only had it plugged in currently for 20 hours it is nowhere near it's potential. It will smooth out and plankton will increase as well over the following days.

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #3,891 of 7,067
I had the Gungnir DS for about a month. The initial sq was a bit harsh on the treble with sibilance and a thin low end with a decent mids. But the sound got much better balanced after a few days of listening and it was quite enjoyable.
Later, I had the chance to return my Gungnir DS to the Gungnir multibit along with the wyrd. My initial impressions were just wow. It sounded like the burnedin Gungnir DS right out of the box.

Does it improve further? I only have maybe 20 hours of burnin with the gumby.

It does continue to improve.  Maybe topping at ~50 hours (that's a pure guess).  Then leave it powered on at all times, so the components stay warm.  I went the same route as you - Gungnir DS to GMB - and it was the best investment I've made in this hobby.  IMO, you will be very happy with the final result.  I've heard the Yggy and, while it's super impressive, I am happy right where I am sitting.  FWIW friends.

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #3,892 of 7,067
drolling at a GMB but im scared to spend loads of money on a DAC only to see something better sounding and better priced be released two years later.. currently rocking the modi 2u > Ragnarok > HE-400i.. haha

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #3,893 of 7,067
  drolling at a GMB but im scared to spend loads of money on a DAC only to see something better sounding and better priced be released two years later.. currently rocking the modi 2u > Ragnarok > HE-400i.. haha

The DAC board in the GMB is upgradeable.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #3,894 of 7,067

Probably unwanted advice but personally if I were you I would upgrade my headphones first then go for a new DAC. I own the HE-400i as well and then purchased the Ether Flow and it was a significant upgrade. When I changed from my Bimby to Gumby it was a big difference as well but not anywhere in the same league as the headphone upgrade. Just my opinion feel free to ignore me :p

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #3,895 of 7,067
AGr
Probably unwanted advice but personally if I were you I would upgrade my headphones first then go for a new DAC. I own the HE-400i as well and then purchased the Ether Flow and it was a significant upgrade. When I changed from my Bimby to Gumby it was a big difference as well but not anywhere in the same league as the headphone upgrade. Just my opinion feel free to ignore me :p
Agree, now get the LCD X :)

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #3,896 of 7,067
AGr
Agree, now get the LCD X :)

Nah Ether Flow :p. Or what you could do is what I did and get the Ether Flow, Gumby and Mjolnir 2 all at the same time... MEGA UPGRADE! :D Although you do already have the Ragnarok so pft. :p

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #3,897 of 7,067
Nah Ether Flow
tongue.gif
. Or what you could do is what I did and get the Ether Flow, Gumby and Mjolnir 2 all at the same time... MEGA UPGRADE!
biggrin.gif
Although you do already have the Ragnarok so pft.
tongue.gif

Was in the market for a new speaker amp to get a bit better sq than my old denon amp.. ended up buying KEF LS50's and a Black Ragnarok last week Haha xD

My mega upgrade was december last year, when i went from logitech gaming headset to magni 2u/modi 2u + HE-400i. Only auditioned two hifi headphones. HE-400i and the HD700. Liked the treble better on the HD700, liked the lowermids and lows better on the HE-400i so i went for them. asked the sales man what it would cost me to get the best of both those and that was far more than i thought i could spend on a headset..

As for dacs, only tried the mojo and the modi 2u. The most interesting upgrade for dacs seems to be the gumby, been trying to look for "cheap balanced dacs" but all i find have headphone outputs and volume knobs, and to me that seems like I'm paying extra for a feature that i already have In my ragnarok.. Its not that i have to have schiit, it just seems like they always make sensible stuff. Also they have been throwing the word "multibit" around and I kinda want to try it..

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #3,898 of 7,067
  Was in the market for a new speaker amp to get a bit better sq than my old denon amp.. ended up buying KEF LS50's and a Black Ragnarok last week Haha xD

My mega upgrade was december last year, when i went from logitech gaming headset to magni 2u/modi 2u + HE-400i. Only auditioned two hifi headphones. HE-400i and the HD700. Liked the treble better on the HD700, liked the lowermids and lows better on the HE-400i so i went for them. asked the sales man what it would cost me to get the best of both those and that was far more than i thought i could spend on a headset..

As for dacs, only tried the mojo and the modi 2u. The most interesting upgrade for dacs seems to be the gumby, been trying to look for "cheap balanced dacs" but all i find have headphone outputs and volume knobs, and to me that seems like I'm paying extra for a feature that i already have In my ragnarok.. Its not that i have to have schiit, it just seems like they always make sensible stuff. Also they have been throwing the word "multibit" around and I kinda want to try it..

Now that you have the ragnarok, I would suggest you to take a giant leap to the yggdrasil and skip the gumby. But as the others suggested, upgrade your headphones first. 400i wouldn't do justice for the ragy. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #3,899 of 7,067

I did something very similar I had a cheap speaker system then upgraded to some Monitor Audio Gold 100 with a Rotel RA-1570. Only problem was it blew my, at the time, cheap headphone setup out the water. Now I went down the rabbit hole and ended up spending like £4k on a new headphone setup and I have some Sony Z1R coming as well next month lol. It is a slippery slope and I have well and truly fallen down it...

I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER THOUGH :D :D

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #3,900 of 7,067

Different headphones can change the "personality" of a system in exciting and fun ways, but improvements upstream provide a clearer window on the music. Since most people in this hobby end up owning multiple cans, a great dac "keeps on giving" with every headphone purchased.

I spend the most $ upstream, and end up "re-discovering" all the music I've owned.

IMO
YMWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back