Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 20, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #3,871 of 7,058
  Quick question - is it worth it to get Gumby over Bimby in a purely single-ended setup (I'd love to go balanced but absolutely everything I have is single-ended)? My amp is a Lyr 2.

Good comparison thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison#post_12012998

Post specifically addresses your SE question:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook/60#post_12051821   ["These dacs are so close that if your system is SE only, there is really no reason in terms of audible SQ to spend any more $."]

All that said, :) I highly recommend the Gumby/MJ2. @kolkoo, you know, sooner or later, you will go there, just depends which one you want to get first.   And then there's the Yggy.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #3,872 of 7,058

Good comparison thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison#post_12012998

Post specifically addresses your SE question:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook/60#post_12051821   ["These dacs are so close that if your system is SE only, there is really no reason in terms of audible SQ to spend any more $."]

All that said, :) I highly recommend the Gumby/MJ2. @kolkoo, you know, sooner or later, you will go there, just depends which one you want to get first.   And then there's the Yggy.

I would agree regarding the Gumby/Mj2, music has never sounded so good! Works really well for speakers as well if that matters. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #3,873 of 7,058

The question is how much finer is it compared to the bimby in a single ended setup, probably hard to answer :) I don't expect it to be twice as good but at least would need an audible improvement for me to jump. Or I might just jump if I get too impatient :D

Oh, I know what the question was.  Just trying to help!  Besides, nobody can make the decision for you.  It's so important to understand that like anything in life, all of this stuff is subjective–no matter how much someone may try to convince you otherwise.  Already you have examples of at least one individual saying that it's worth the jump, and another proclaiming, not so much.  As I said, nobody here knows how you perceive sound, nor can they know how important music is to you.  By the way, I'm not quite on board with this idea that the Gungnir single ended it somehow so much Schiitier than balanced.  However, going balanced from DAC to transducer does take things to a whole other level.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #3,874 of 7,058
Tonight I moved my mighty Ragnarock and hooked it up to my Gungnir Multibit. I am very impressed with combination of these two units. I used these two units to drive my ETHER 1.1's, and my cans sounded amazing. The sound signature was detailed and very musical. I got into some Flood by THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, as well as some PINK FLOYD. :)

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #3,875 of 7,058

I would agree regarding the Gumby/Mj2, music has never sounded so good! Works really well for speakers as well if that matters. 

I cant wait!! I have a Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 on the way with an Emotiva 2 channel power amp. I will be using my Theta for now as a DAC but the Gumby is going to be bought soon hopefully.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #3,876 of 7,058
Tonight I moved my mighty Ragnarock and hooked it up to my Gungnir Multibit. I am very impressed with combination of these two units. I used these two units to drive my ETHER 1.1's, and my cans sounded amazing. The sound signature was detailed and very musical. I got into some Flood by THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, as well as some PINK FLOYD. :)

How close in performance are the Yggy and the gumby hooked to the Rag? You have a Yggy, but sometimes you'd rather use gumby instead?

I'm finally getting close to pulling the trigger on a Yggy, but still wonder if a gumby would be "good enough"

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #3,877 of 7,058
How close in performance are the Yggy and the gumby hooked to the Rag? You have a Yggy, but sometimes you'd rather use gumby instead?

I'm finally getting close to pulling the trigger on a Yggy, but still wonder if a gumby would be "good enough"

Thanks.
The Yggdrasil is just fantastic, so detailed, resolute, and natural sounding. And when combined with the detailed nature of the Ragnarock, the music signature becomes one of total detailed resolution dedicated to a musical natur a l sound. And when this happens, I sometimes over analyze the sound. This never happens when I listen to the Gungnir Multibit and the Ragnarock. On that system I just listen to the music and do not over analyze it. I use the Gungnir Multibit and the Ragnarock for tv watchin and the occasional blue ray movie. The Gungnir is very nice but it does not replace the Yggdrasil. If you can afford the Yggdrasil then by all means snag it. The Yggdrasil is the only dac I have considered buying, just to have a replacement unit, just in case my Yggdrasil, knock on wood, ever bites the bullet.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #3,879 of 7,058
  Is there any way to tell if a Gungnir is a mulitbit version or not (other than hearing it)? Is there any marking on it that tell the different? Thank you

Yes, there's a sticker on the left rear (or right rear when peering over the top from the front):

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #3,880 of 7,058

Well you can open it up and take a look, or you can look on the back for a MB sticker

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #3,882 of 7,058
Is there really a point to the sigma-delta Gungnir now you can get a Jotunheim with a balanced DAC chip?  

Both have a balanced DAC chip, and the Jotunheim uses the more recent 4490 chips. Both have XLR out.

It seems like the only advantage the SD Gungnir has is more inputs and maybe Adapticlock....that's not a huge difference in features for a $350 price delta.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3,883 of 7,058
  Is there really a point to the sigma-delta Gungnir now you can get a Jotunheim with a balanced DAC chip?  

Both have a balanced DAC chip, and the Jotunheim uses the more recent 4490 chips. Both have XLR out.

It seems like the only advantage the SD Gungnir has is more inputs and maybe Adapticlock....that's not a huge difference in features for a $350 price delta.

The Gungnir DS will serve as a step toward Gungnir multibit in case one can't spend all of the money on Gumby at once.
(I'm trying to comfort myself here because I'm still waiting for my Gungnir DS)

But again chips aren't everything. The implementation is more important.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #3,884 of 7,058
I had the Gungnir DS for about a month. The initial sq was a bit harsh on the treble with sibilance and a thin low end with a decent mids. But the sound got much better balanced after a few days of listening and it was quite enjoyable.
Later, I had the chance to return my Gungnir DS to the Gungnir multibit along with the wyrd. My initial impressions were just wow. It sounded like the burnedin Gungnir DS right out of the box.

Does it improve further? I only have maybe 20 hours of burnin with the gumby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back