Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #3,946 of 7,049
  The transducers are the most important components of any audio chain.  For recorded playback of digital signals, there are three: the DAC changes the signal from digital to analog; the speaker (or headphone) changes the signal from electrical to mechanical; the brain interprets the signal from mechanical to neural impulses and perception.  I argue it's the last one, the brain, which has the largest impact.

The brain and the DAC are certainly part of the chain, but they're not transducers.

The definition of a transducer is device that converts energy from one from to another, such as electro-acoustic (speakers, microphones, vinyl cartridges), electro-mechanical (potentiometers), etc.

DACs and amps operate solidly in the electrical domain so are not transducers.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3,947 of 7,049
  I'm considering a Gumby (or a Yggy) for my living room system. However, the integration I have with various audio sources pretty much demands a means of remote iR switching between digital sources: USB, coax, and optical. Is there/does anyone recommend a good quality gadget that takes optical, coax, and USB in and outputs coax or USB, with a remote control? Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation -- did you find a device that does this, i.e. a remote control digital switcher?

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,948 of 7,049
Tonight I received a Gungnir Multibit.
I'm replacing  my Teac UD-501. I was wondering what if any physical difference are there between the Multibit and Non Multibit versions? I guess I was expecting it to say Multibit somewhere, but it doesn't.
How can we tell them apart?

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #3,949 of 7,049
  Tonight I received a Gungnir Multibit.
I'm replacing  my Teac UD-501. I was wondering what if any physical difference are there between the Multibit and Non Multibit versions? I guess I was expecting it to say Multibit somewhere, but it doesn't.
How can we tell them apart?

There should be a sticker on the back.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #3,951 of 7,049
Dec 13, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #3,952 of 7,049
Dec 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,953 of 7,049
Hi everyone ... I'm currently using an audiolab MDAC in my setup but have been curious about trying either the SCHIIT Gumby or Bimby. Anyone one have any experience or have heard the difference between the MDAC and these two? Worth the upgrade ? I am running a Parasound A21 into KEF LS50 speakers.

Cheers
Nasiem

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,954 of 7,049
Hi everyone ... I'm currently using an audiolab MDAC in my setup but have been curious about trying either the SCHIIT Gumby or Bimby. Anyone one have any experience or have heard the difference between the MDAC and these two? Worth the upgrade ? I am running a Parasound A21 into KEF LS50 speakers.

Cheers
Nasiem

Get the Gumby - You are done.
Just make sure you give it 10 days to properly warm up.

Sell the MDAC asap! 

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #3,955 of 7,049
Recently snagged a used Gumby Multi bit. All is well so far except one thing. I'm using both the balanced out and one set of the rca outs. Balanced goes to my Parasound p7 preamp while the rca goes into a Yamaha receiver to feed some zones around my home. Problem is the rca outs into the Yamaha sound distorted? I tried switching the rca outs (there are two) same issue. I've read this isn't the first time soothing like this has happened.

Any thoughts or suggestions? My Parasound Zdac which was hooked up exactly the same didn't cause any distortion whatsoever......

Thanks.

Since I got my Gumby 2 days ago I've experienced the same issue when connecting my powered off Pioneer Elite NX-30 to the Gumby's outputs.
The second outputs on the Gumby are going to a Beyerdynamic A2 Headphone amplifier. When my Pioneer is off the A2 gets this crazy distortion in high energy passages of music.
I know its not the Gumby's fault, but it is strange that this problem didn't manifest itself until I hooked up the Gumby. I didn't have this issue with my previous dac. Teac UD-501.
I'm currently working around the problem by putting a CELabs A/V distribution amplifier in between my Pioneer and the Gumby.
http://proav.celabs.net/av-products/av-distribution/composite-amplifiers/av400/ or just keep my receiver turned on and muted when using my A2.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #3,957 of 7,049
LOL, wow that is an overwhelming vote for Gumby ... any perspective on the Bimby vs. Gumby?  Is it really worth double the cost?

Cheers,

Nasiem
I recently upgraded from bimby. Improvements were noticeable. Gumby sounds more natural than bimby. I always thought bimby was shouty with nasty treble glare. That alone was worth it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back