Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #6,602 of 7,161
A1 usually has a serial number starting with an “A” or a “C”, while A2 starts with a “B”
The photo of the back of the Gungnir on Schiit's site has a C prefix which would have led me to believe that "C" was a more current model. Plus it has additional printed info where the serial number is as opposed to other models I've seen:

eg:
43063-7__81946.jpg

43471-7__24583.jpg

I can tell this is going to get more confusing than it may be worth.

Thanks again!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #6,603 of 7,161
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #6,604 of 7,161
I've been a Gungnir owner for many years/versions. Will try to explain the history. My listening is all with headphones, mostly with the Sennheiser HD800.
1. Gungnir D/S - sounded OK.
2. Gungnir MB - A1 - like turning "on" the great sound switch, for me. Never returning to D/S.
3. Gungnir MB - A2 (beta tester) - slightly brighter and more resolving but very close to the A1. The A2 was never publicly announced as an "upgrade" by Schiit. I think it was a supply assurance change and intended to sound similar to A1. The "B" prefix on the serial number is correct.
4. At the same time, my Gungnir was upgraded to Gen5 USB. So, did both A2 and Gen5 upgrades at the same time, although I did the beta test listening with an optical connection from my Mac. When the beta test was over, I started using USB because the Gen5 connection sounded better than the optical.
5. New: Gungnir MB VCO with Unison. I bought this a few weeks ago when Jason announced they couldn't get the AD5781BRUZ chips any longer, so Gungnir was about to vanish. At the same time, I noted that my old Gungnir was 2-weeks from being out-of-warranty. The new Gungnir / Unison sounds just fine - the Unison does make a slight improvement in music details, which are clearly evident with the HD800 cans.

I think if you're considering a used Gungnir, you can e-mail Schiit at info@schiit.com with the device's S/N and they can track it down for you. Happy hunting!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #6,605 of 7,161
I've been a Gungnir owner for many years/versions. Will try to explain the history. My listening is all with headphones, mostly with the Sennheiser HD800.
1. Gungnir D/S - sounded OK.
2. Gungnir MB - A1 - like turning "on" the great sound switch, for me. Never returning to D/S.
3. Gungnir MB - A2 (beta tester) - slightly brighter and more resolving but very close to the A1. The A2 was never publicly announced as an "upgrade" by Schiit. I think it was a supply assurance change and intended to sound similar to A1. The "B" prefix on the serial number is correct.
4. At the same time, my Gungnir was upgraded to Gen5 USB. So, did both A2 and Gen5 upgrades at the same time, although I did the beta test listening with an optical connection from my Mac. When the beta test was over, I started using USB because the Gen5 connection sounded better than the optical.
5. New: Gungnir MB VCO with Unison. I bought this a few weeks ago when Jason announced they couldn't get the AD5781BRUZ chips any longer, so Gungnir was about to vanish. At the same time, I noted that my old Gungnir was 2-weeks from being out-of-warranty. The new Gungnir / Unison sounds just fine - the Unison does make a slight improvement in music details, which are clearly evident with the HD800 cans.

I think if you're considering a used Gungnir, you can e-mail Schiit at info@schiit.com with the device's S/N and they can track it down for you. Happy hunting!
Thank you! Like I said in my previous post I'm not too concerned with the USB input as I would be using either coax or toslink connections only.

I'd love to jump on a new unit before they "vanish", maybe for good, but would not be adverse to buying a used sample that would fit my needs & save a little $.

Thanks again!!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #6,606 of 7,161
You bet - my pleasure. I love the sound of the Gumby and have heard the Yggdrasil (at past HP meets). They're not very much different.
Don't discount the Unison as a digital input - it's pretty sweet. I just keep my AQ diamond toslink cable as a back-up :)

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6,607 of 7,161
Is that something they would actually take the time to do? I've actually found them less than helpful with non-Gumby related questions in the past.

Found this in a 'wanted to buy' ad on Canuck Audio Mart:

"If you’re Gumby has a flashing green start up light that then disappears after 20s, you likely have an A1. A2 (Analog 2) version has a flashing white start up light that disappears." (He's looking to buy an A1)

Does this sound right?

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #6,608 of 7,161
All my Gungnirs had white lights. The far-right light on all models flashes 7-8 times on startup and then goes dark. That's the analog output program getting ready.
I've never e-mailed Schiit Audio with such a question, but Jason touts it all the time as the go-to for information. Worth a try.

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #6,609 of 7,161
Thanks folks for the responses! Too bad you can't tell from the SN letter prefixes which board is in the unit but I guess that would make it too easy.

Could you clarify: you say your A1 is not upgrade-able but then that it's been upgraded to current spec. Not sure what you mean.

Also, does A1 refer to the DS version or is that a completely different animal? I'm really only interested in the multi-bit versions. How many multi-bit versions have there been so far? Is what is currently being offered on their site A2 versions or is there now an A3?

And I'm not that interested in the USB versions as I would be using it mainly with either coax or toslink connections.

Not sure I know exactly how to "follow" anyone let alone Jason.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I meant that one can't upgrade from A1 to A2. In the beginning all Gungnir DACs were DS as was mine. I have owned mine since 2013, subsequently I have upgraded from USB gen.1 to gen. 2, and recently to Unison. I have also had it upgraded to Multibit. AFAIK there is no A3, the current model differs from other A2 units only in the absence of the VXCO filter, hence the $100 price reduction. Schiit is very detail oriented, when they upgraded my USB to Unison, they also changed the source button from shiny to matte finish to match currently shipping models. You can tell if a Gungnir is upgraded because the back panel will have stickers indicating that an upgrade has been performed.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #6,610 of 7,161
Is that something they would actually take the time to do? I've actually found them less than helpful with non-Gumby related questions in the past.

Found this in a 'wanted to buy' ad on Canuck Audio Mart:

"If you’re Gumby has a flashing green start up light that then disappears after 20s, you likely have an A1. A2 (Analog 2) version has a flashing white start up light that disappears." (He's looking to buy an A1)

Does this sound right?
I just rebooted my A1 Gumby, and it has a white light in that position.

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #6,611 of 7,161
Gumby has a flashing green start up light
All the lights on the front panel of my Gumby OG/A1 are white.
There may be an internal LED not visible from the front?

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #6,612 of 7,161
I’m currently awaiting delivery of my third Gumby 😂

I have had two previously, I am certain that at least one was an A2 (a 2018 model). The other one was from 2017 but can’t recall if A1 or A2.

I’m looking forward to getting a 2016 model A1.

I’m going to have to upgrade it from gen 2 or gen 3 usb to unison usb so I can use it with my iPhone.

So I think Gumby and Rag 2 will be my end game- I think Yggy OG is likely a stretch too far budget wise.

Are Gumby and Rag 2 suitable to stack?

Maybe at some point I’ll have to consider options for a Perspex stand that can go on my desk over Rag 2 that gives Rag enough ventilation and can withstand the weight of Gumby.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #6,613 of 7,161
Well cruising through Schiit's site and looks like you can't select a black finish Gumby. Hopefully there is a refresh coming as it's in my list for upgrades next year.

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #6,614 of 7,161
Well cruising through Schiit's site and looks like you can't select a black finish Gumby. Hopefully there is a refresh coming as it's in my list for upgrades next year.
I'm wondering if a TI based Gumby is on the horizon.

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #6,615 of 7,161
I'm wondering if a TI based Gumby is on the horizon.
I hope not, the MB is what is drawing me to it and I don't really want to jump to a yaggi because I might as well get a Holo spring lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back