Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #6,571 of 7,100
New SN starting with "L".
Damn... is this the 4th revision?

I have the S/N : "B"
I thought I got the latest one "aka" A2 version?
20220704_200526.jpg

@Orange5o
What if you play all your files only in flac? and also only in mp3 without triggering a bitrate change? It could be your raspberry?

I just did a test. I did a Flac to Mp3 in default and everything is working fine for me?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #6,572 of 7,100
the sample rate change click,
This click happens on the pi? I hear a click when I first start my Gungnir, after it does the 10 second warmup thing. Then there are no clicks, when playing songs of various sample rates, such as these here, through WinAmp.

Is the Gungnir's jitter light turning on, when you experience the distortion? Mine does not come on, except at warmup, so far.

My PC is sending USB signal to my Douk U2 Pro (which sends out coax signal to Gungnir), with sound device settings at 24-bit, 192KHz, allow exclusive control, give exclusive mode priority. WinAmp is not in exclusive mode.

With this setup, I've seen no jitter light yet, no clicking outside of warmup, and no noticeable audio distortion with content of various sample rates.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #6,573 of 7,100
I thought I got the latest one "aka" A2 version?
At the time you got it, yes, that was the newest version, pretty sure. The L SN's just starting being released, like since July 1st 2022. And you have VCO+VXCO; I only have VCO(but paid $100 less than you ;p). When the VXCO parts come back in stock, they will go back and make the version you have again. Unless they never become available, and/or have created a new DAC by then.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #6,574 of 7,100
This click happens on the pi? I hear a click when I first start my Gungnir, after it does the 10 second warmup thing. Then there are no clicks, when playing songs of various sample rates, such as these here, through WinAmp.

Is the Gungnir's jitter light turning on, when you experience the distortion? Mine does not come on, except at warmup, so far.

My PC is sending USB signal to my Douk U2 Pro (which sends out coax signal to Gungnir), with sound device settings at 24-bit, 192KHz, allow exclusive control, give exclusive mode priority. WinAmp is not in exclusive mode.

With this setup, I've seen no jitter light yet, no clicking outside of warmup/shut down, and no noticeable audio distortion with content of various sample rates.
I get clicks when i go from say 24 bit flac to a 16 bit flac, which it should and my bifrost did also. No bbg light on, and it's the exact setup I've ran on bifrost 2 for the last year with no problems.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #6,575 of 7,100
I get clicks when i go from say 24 bit flac to a 16 bit flac, which it should and my bifrost did also. No bbg light on, and it's the exact setup I've ran on bifrost 2 for the last year with no problems.
So you are using a direct USB connection. Can you try using opticle or coax, or a DDC to convert between them?

Do you have a MultiBit Unison 5 Bifrost 2? Or an older version?

What I've learned: USB + Windows + Schiit = sucks. (not so much just USB+Windows, though):frowning2: That's why I bypass it with coax.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #6,576 of 7,100
July 1st 2022.
Ha, thats funny. Congrats. I hope your version is like mine. Big bass, soundstage and liquid smooth sound.

I get clicks when i go from say 24 bit flac to a 16 bit flac, which it should
I am playing mp3, flac, wav,. mp4 and YouTube constantly.
As I am typing this I hear no distortion?
Sadly, it might be your dac if it is not your rasberry.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #6,577 of 7,100
I hope your version is like mine. Big bass, soundstage and liquid smooth sound.
I think we are hearing the same thing. : ) Impressions on previous page, same post you quoted me from, obv lol.

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #6,578 of 7,100
Do you also have the new VCO Gungnir? Or was this a used model you got?

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #6,580 of 7,100
For those curious about the sticker you get when you have a Gungnir bitted up:
20220704_103001.jpg

Jul 8, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #6,581 of 7,100
Ok, here's where I'm at on my new (VCO version) Gungnir issue:

recap of the issue: Using raspberry pi 3 or 4 via USB from both Volumio and Runeaudio and using multiple local storage drives, once the Gungnir does the mute relay click to play 96 khz files (usually 24 bit FLAC), anything I switch to with a different sample rate (typically 44.1 khz) does not get a sample change click from Gungnir and sounds incredibly bad. I can still go back to 96 khz files and it sounds fine, but nothing I do causes a new sample rate change/mute relay click. If i reboot everything, I can play 44.1 khz sound again, but once I do any sample rate change (with the mute relay click), it again won't go back to 44.1 khz (both mp3 or FLAC) without sounding like crap. I've used this same setup with a Bifrost 2 for over a year with no issue. USB cable is Wireworld Ultraviolet that has performed perfectly for a year. Schiit support's only response was to try a laptop. I can't replicate the issue, likely because the laptop is resampling everything to 44.1 or something and frankly I don't care to figure out how to force the issue, given my layout I need to use a Pi streamer anyways. Nor do I want to go through a 1.5 terabyte library looking for 96 khz files to reformat.

In my opinion the Gungnir is failing to change sample rates, but I'm kind of a dummy. I'm afraid to send it back for a swap and have it do the same issue because 1) Gungnir is older tech than the Bifrost 2 perhaps? 2) It could be an issue with the new VCO version? Who knows...

Only solution I've found is resampling within Volumio, but then my fear is whether the sound is being degraded at all? What do I set it at, max, or 176.4 or 192 or what?

Hoping anyone would have some insight into this, as far as 1) would you send the unit back?, 2) would you just resample through volumio, if there is a technological reason that I wouldn't be missing anything?

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #6,582 of 7,100
1) would you send the unit back?
If you can, absolutely. Have them do a diagnostic+repair, then try it out at home again. If it's still causing an issue, just sell/refund it and move on, I guess. Might not solve anything, but you'll have your money to try another DAC.

Jul 9, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #6,583 of 7,100
Ok, here's where I'm at on my new (VCO version) Gungnir issue:

recap of the issue: Using raspberry pi 3 or 4 via USB from both Volumio and Runeaudio and using multiple local storage drives, once the Gungnir does the mute relay click to play 96 khz files (usually 24 bit FLAC), anything I switch to with a different sample rate (typically 44.1 khz) does not get a sample change click from Gungnir and sounds incredibly bad. I can still go back to 96 khz files and it sounds fine, but nothing I do causes a new sample rate change/mute relay click. If i reboot everything, I can play 44.1 khz sound again, but once I do any sample rate change (with the mute relay click), it again won't go back to 44.1 khz (both mp3 or FLAC) without sounding like crap. I've used this same setup with a Bifrost 2 for over a year with no issue. USB cable is Wireworld Ultraviolet that has performed perfectly for a year. Schiit support's only response was to try a laptop. I can't replicate the issue, likely because the laptop is resampling everything to 44.1 or something and frankly I don't care to figure out how to force the issue, given my layout I need to use a Pi streamer anyways. Nor do I want to go through a 1.5 terabyte library looking for 96 khz files to reformat.

In my opinion the Gungnir is failing to change sample rates, but I'm kind of a dummy. I'm afraid to send it back for a swap and have it do the same issue because 1) Gungnir is older tech than the Bifrost 2 perhaps? 2) It could be an issue with the new VCO version? Who knows...

Only solution I've found is resampling within Volumio, but then my fear is whether the sound is being degraded at all? What do I set it at, max, or 176.4 or 192 or what?

Hoping anyone would have some insight into this, as far as 1) would you send the unit back?, 2) would you just resample through volumio, if there is a technological reason that I wouldn't be missing anything?

Raspberry Pi is a proven technology. Volumio is also proven at this point. They sell it commercially and other manufacturers incorporate it into their products.

Either Volumio isn't behaving or the Gungnir DAC isn't behaving. Do you have another SD Card? Have you investigated whether or not this is a bug in Volumio? Maybe try an older version of Volumio if that is possible.

Sorry I'm not home for another week or I would flash up my Pi4 and test it out for you on my Gungnir.

Is your Volumio the exact one you used with BiFrost 2? If so then send the Gungnir Back. Tell them the system works fine with BF2 and Gungnir is having issues.

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #6,584 of 7,100
Raspberry Pi is a proven technology. Volumio is also proven at this point. They sell it commercially and other manufacturers incorporate it into their products.

Either Volumio isn't behaving or the Gungnir DAC isn't behaving. Do you have another SD Card? Have you investigated whether or not this is a bug in Volumio? Maybe try an older version of Volumio if that is possible.

Sorry I'm not home for another week or I would flash up my Pi4 and test it out for you on my Gungnir.

Is your Volumio the exact one you used with BiFrost 2? If so then send the Gungnir Back. Tell them the system works fine with BF2 and Gungnir is having issues.
It's going back, they've offered to exchange it. Whole setup worked with bifrost, and I've tried two different pis, two different os's and a laptop. It's definitely the Gungnir. I will update when I get the new one. Thanks all

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #6,585 of 7,100
Perhaps they messed something up, during the VXCO removal & re-design... Or random manufacturing/assembly/configuration mistake. See if you can get them to tell you what the issue is, exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back