Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 14, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #6,541 of 7,100
Well the one I am considering is the multi-bit version. I would much prefer a more "analog" sound.

I think I would prefer a more mellow or analog sound. The one I'm considering is the multi-bit version.
Yes. I have the original MultiBit version. It had gen 2 USB so thats how old it was. Then I upgraded to Unison USB at the factory.

I found this too mellow for Grunge and heavier Rock music with multiple speakers. Have now had 2 sets of monitor Audio speakers and their slightly forward nature works well with A1 Gumby. Using Naim Nait 5si that is.

It's really amazing with Jazz, Classic Rock, acoustic music. Van Morrison is amazing with this DAC.

May 15, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #6,542 of 7,100
Yes. I have the original MultiBit version. It had gen 2 USB so thats how old it was. Then I upgraded to Unison USB at the factory.

I found this too mellow for Grunge and heavier Rock music with multiple speakers. Have now had 2 sets of monitor Audio speakers and their slightly forward nature works well with A1 Gumby. Using Naim Nait 5si that is.

It's really amazing with Jazz, Classic Rock, acoustic music. Van Morrison is amazing with this DAC.

Well this is the one I'm looking at. It's Gen 5. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649855634-schiit-gungnir-multibit-dac/

I have Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers. If I get this DAC I'd be pairing it most likely with a Schiit Freya S (or Plus but tubes are getting pricy these days) as well as a Marantz MM7025 power amp. The MM7025 has XLR balance inputs and the Freya has balanced outputs. Also I have a Marantz CD6006 CD player and Node 2i streamer and this setup would be integrated with my 4K TV and BD player.

May 15, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #6,543 of 7,100
Yes. I have the original MultiBit version. It had gen 2 USB so thats how old it was. Then I upgraded to Unison USB at the factory..

Mine was direct from Schiit in 2017 so also gen 2.

Those genres are what I mostly listen to so the GMB is a perfect match!

May 15, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #6,544 of 7,100
Mine was direct from Schiit in 2017 so also gen 2.

Those genres are what I mostly listen to so the GMB is a perfect match!

I listen to much of those genres as well. Would be better to find an older gen Gungnir?

May 15, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #6,545 of 7,100
I listen to much of those genres as well. Would be better to find an older gen Gungnir?
It boils down to your needs, your wallet, and what you can audition. In my case, since I already own the GMB that has the sound I like, I don't have a need to try anything new.

IMO, time marches on and available tech has progressed. For that reason, I think a newer device makes more sense.

May 15, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #6,547 of 7,100
Well this is the one I'm looking at. It's Gen 5. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649855634-schiit-gungnir-multibit-dac/

I have Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers. If I get this DAC I'd be pairing it most likely with a Schiit Freya S (or Plus but tubes are getting pricy these days) as well as a Marantz MM7025 power amp. The MM7025 has XLR balance inputs and the Freya has balanced outputs. Also I have a Marantz CD6006 CD player and Node 2i streamer and this setup would be integrated with my 4K TV and BD player.
I had a nice old pair of RS8. Moved to a much smaller room. Went to dealer looking at Silver 50. Came home with a pair of the Studio Monitors (dual 4" w/ ribbon tweet) with stands for not much more.

May 15, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #6,548 of 7,100
I had a nice old pair of RS8. Moved to a much smaller room. Went to dealer looking at Silver 50. Came home with a pair of the Studio Monitors (dual 4" w/ ribbon tweet) with stands for not much more.

Well right now I'm just using a Marantz HD-AMP1 with my MA Silver 100 and it's overall great for movies. Excellent clarity and low end on these speakers. No need for a subwoofer in my room. Very good for music also but it would be nice to have separates.

May 17, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #6,549 of 7,100
Have been thinking of getting this dac to pair with my Blusound node 2i. would be using coax in only. on the website they make a big deal about the usb in. i will not be using usb ever, is this dac good thru the coax?

May 17, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #6,550 of 7,100
Have been thinking of getting this dac to pair with my Blusound node 2i. would be using coax in only. on the website they make a big deal about the usb in. i will not be using usb ever, is this dac good thru the coax?
Yes. Used to be that coax was better than USB. They achieved parity with Unison USB.

May 26, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #6,553 of 7,100
When I bought my Gungnir from Audioadvisor, Multibit wasn't even available, and it had USB Gen. 1. At that time USB was optional. Since then it has been upgraded to Multibit. I anticipate its return to me tomorrow with Unison USB on board (upgrading from Gen. 2). All in all, it has given me nearly a decade of amazing sound, couldn't be happier!

May 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #6,554 of 7,100
After having lived with a Modius for a while, having my Gungnir back is a revelation! With Unison installed I'm ready for at least another decade of musical enjoyment!

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #6,555 of 7,100
Hello,
i have a question, I'm currently rocking a Chord Mojo 2 but want to upgrade to Schiit Gungnir Delta-Sigma in the near future.
Is the Delta Sigma worth it or do i really need the Multibit version? Like i said for now i want to settle on the Delta-Sigma one and get the Multibit upgrade later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back