Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 21, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #6,616 of 7,224
Please understand that I don't know anything. But that being said I was under the impression the Gungnir was going away because they can't get the necessary chips. Think I got that impression for comments Jason has made here or there.

They have already designed it away from one internal chip. Not saying Gungnir was never coming back, but I definitely had the impression that if you want a Gumby now is the time.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #6,617 of 7,224
New: Gungnir MB VCO with Unison. I bought this a few weeks ago when Jason announced they couldn't get the AD5781BRUZ chips any longer, so Gungnir was about to vanish.
So it was said ... and, the price is $100 lower because of only VCO.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #6,618 of 7,224
So it was said ... and, the price is $100 lower because of only VCO.
Accept when you pick the finish the price goes from $1199 to $1249.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #6,620 of 7,224
That's weird. I just went with the black. Matches my amplifier :)
My preference as well guess I'll settle with the new bifrost when the time comes or find a screaming deal on a yaggy.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #6,621 of 7,224
Black Rig.JPG
Our Brazilian maid in the background ... Fernanda.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #6,622 of 7,224
I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I meant that one can't upgrade from A1 to A2. In the beginning all Gungnir DACs were DS as was mine. I have owned mine since 2013, subsequently I have upgraded from USB gen.1 to gen. 2, and recently to Unison. I have also had it upgraded to Multibit. AFAIK there is no A3, the current model differs from other A2 units only in the absence of the VXCO filter, hence the $100 price reduction. Schiit is very detail oriented, when they upgraded my USB to Unison, they also changed the source button from shiny to matte finish to match currently shipping models. You can tell if a Gungnir is upgraded because the back panel will have stickers indicating that an upgrade has been performed.
Thank you for the clarification! And thank you to everyone else who took the time to respond!

So, let me see if I have this straight (please bear with me): Original DS version could be upgraded to a Multibit A1 (and also accept all USB upgrades).

A2 was an unannounced update/change to the analog board but for some reason an original DS could not accept it. Their site claims their Gungnir upgrade Multibit board is for any Gungnir. So wouldn't that be a current A2 board or am I missing something?

Thanks again for helping me through this. Hopefully it may prove helpful to others who may have the same questions.

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #6,623 of 7,224
A2 was an unannounced update/change to the analog board but for some reason an original DS could not accept it. Their site claims their Gungnir upgrade Multibit board is for any Gungnir. So wouldn't that be a current A2 board or am I missing something?
I suspect all the analog boards are now A2. I think A1 is history.

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #6,624 of 7,224
Please understand that I don't know anything. But that being said I was under the impression the Gungnir was going away because they can't get the necessary chips. Think I got that impression for comments Jason has made here or there.

They have already designed it away from one internal chip. Not saying Gungnir was never coming back, but I definitely had the impression that if you want a Gumby now is the time.
I believe they said Gungnir is going on an indefinite hiatus when the current run is sold out. Although they didn’t say it wouldn’t return, I think it will probably not do so very soon, and if it does, that the chances of it returning in its current form (with AD chips) are slim. So yes, if you want one like it currently is, now would definitely be the time to get it..

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #6,625 of 7,224
I suspect all the analog boards are now A2. I think A1 is history.
Thank you for the clarification! And thank you to everyone else who took the time to respond!

So, let me see if I have this straight (please bear with me): Original DS version could be upgraded to a Multibit A1 (and also accept all USB upgrades).

Thanks again for helping me through this. Hopefully it may prove helpful to others who may have the same questions.
I'm not exactly sure exactly when A2 came out, but I believe it was after my Gungnir was upgraded. My upgrade took place in 2015, I sold my Bifrost Uber to help finance the deal. I would agree that if one was to have the Multibit upgrade done now, it would include A2.

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #6,627 of 7,224
Can anyone please give an insight into the SQ improvements Unison USB provides over Gen5?

I am to self install Gen5 usb card in a Gen2 or Gen3 Gumby A1 because Unison USB card availability is unforeseen here in the UK at this time.

At least I will get the ability to use my iPhone 12 with Gumby after installing Gen5, which is the main reason I want to update from earlier gen.

Also, is the Gen5 usb card install "easy" to do?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #6,628 of 7,224
For me the hardest part of installing the USB card was getting the case back together so that the led lamps line up with their holes. Due to the case design the whole process takes a fair amount of doing. Then again, I'm a relative novice in regards to these things. As for SQ, I've never heard Gen5, but I can say the upgrade from Gen2 to Unison resulted in an across the board improvement in SQ. However, Unison boards have to be installed by someone who can also update the firmware on the Gungir's motherboard. In the US, that means sending the unit back to Schiit.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #6,629 of 7,224
Realigning and reseating the LEDs and the case is the part I’m not looking forward to.

The rest sounds straightforward.

My previous A2 had gen5, and it sounded great.

Hope the A1 with gen5 will sound just as good if not better.

SQ wise it will be interesting to see how Gumby A1 differs from Musician Pegasus which I’ve enjoyed. I’m hoping I’ll not lose the decent quality and present bass that Pegasus has.

I’ll upgrade to Unison once stock levels return in the U.K.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #6,630 of 7,224
For me the hardest part of installing the USB card was getting the case back together so that the led lamps line up with their holes. Due to the case design the whole process takes a fair amount of doing. Then again, I'm a relative novice in regards to these things. As for SQ, I've never heard Gen5, but I can say the upgrade from Gen2 to Unison resulted in an across the board improvement in SQ. However, Unison boards have to be installed by someone who can also update the firmware on the Gungir's motherboard. In the US, that means sending the unit back to Schiit.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I ill follow these instructions- https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...ir-gen-5-usb-upgrade-instructions.4875/page-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back