Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #6,632 of 7,224
For me the hardest part of installing the USB card was getting the case back together so that the led lamps line up with their holes. Due to the case design the whole process takes a fair amount of doing. Then again, I'm a relative novice in regards to these things. As for SQ, I've never heard Gen5, but I can say the upgrade from Gen2 to Unison resulted in an across the board improvement in SQ. However, Unison boards have to be installed by someone who can also update the firmware on the Gungir's motherboard. In the US, that means sending the unit back to Schiit.
+1

Also, the screws are small, so keeping track of them and not dropping them requires some care.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #6,634 of 7,224
Just a quick update or two, as I get ready to head back to Corpus Christi:

3. Don't be surprised to see an email or two from us. As we've ramped up production, we can start reminding people that we exist, instead of hiding under the bridge like trolls, hoping nobody finds out how deep in backorder we are. Don't worry, it won't be like just-got-6-emails-the-same-day-after-I-bought-something-and-before-I-received-it insanity. Maybe once a month. Maybe. Depends on parts. Backorders aren't vanquished. Nor are parts shortages. The inexpensive True Multibit products (Modi Multibit 2 and the True Multibit Unison card) are now held up officially to June/July. That's when we're supposed to get the DSPs now. Except now our purchasing partner is making hopeful noises about moving things up, so we'll see. In the meantime, don't be surprised if Bifrost, Gungnir, and Yggdrasil move to TI DSPs. If you want to argue about how the same algorithm run by two different DSPs sound, I suggest you come to a show and talk to Dave. I'll just shake my head and walk away.

Originally posted here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6552#post-17110926

G1DvoFb.gif

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #6,635 of 7,224
5. New: Gungnir MB VCO with Unison. I bought this a few weeks ago when Jason announced they couldn't get the AD5781BRUZ chips any longer, so Gungnir was about to vanish. At the same time, I noted that my old Gungnir was 2-weeks from being out-of-warranty. The new Gungnir / Unison sounds just fine - the Unison does make a slight improvement in music details, which are clearly evident with the HD800 cans.

Taking into account what you say, could the Gungnir receive a revamp with autonomy (like BF2) and new chips? I was thinking to buy what probably are the last units of Gungnir before vanishes or wait for a posible Gungnir 2 (or whatever new name they have in mind).

Whatever I do... buy the current version and the next months a Gungnir 2 with better sound releases... Wait current version to vanish and never see a Gungnir 2... or Gungnir 2 with a sound not of my like. All are risky options. Liking the sound of the OG BF2, is a good deal buy the Gungnir now?

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #6,636 of 7,224
Taking into account what you say, could the Gungnir receive a revamp with autonomy (like BF2) and new chips? I was thinking to buy what probably are the last units of Gungnir before vanishes or wait for a posible Gungnir 2 (or whatever new name they have in mind).

Whatever I do... buy the current version and the next months a Gungnir 2 with better sound releases... Wait current version to vanish and never see a Gungnir 2... or Gungnir 2 with a sound not of my like. All are risky options. Liking the sound of the OG BF2, is a good deal buy the Gungnir now?
Well, I can confirm that my new Gungnir MB VCO sounds very good, better than my old one, due to the Unison USB. It's a great DAC for the money, IMO ... the BRUZ chips are really awesome. Jason did recently mention they may consider TI chips going forward but no specific detailed plans.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #6,637 of 7,224
I was checking the web and I have seen this on B-Stock at 1299$

1661447740832.png

While configuring a new one is cheaper, 1249$

1661447779713.png

Could anyone explain me why the difference?

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #6,638 of 7,224
I was checking the web and I have seen this on B-Stock at 1299$

1661447740832.png

While configuring a new one is cheaper, 1249$

1661447779713.png

Could anyone explain me why the difference?

The B-Stock has the VXCO reclocker for all inputs while the new ones donā€™t have them

Aug 25, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #6,639 of 7,224
Thanks again folks for your replies to my previous posts. At this point I think if I'm going to buy a Gungnir, I'll buy one used as a new one would be $1,364.87 all-in and that's a little much for me right now. And based on your replies it seems like any MB version of the Gungnir would be a nice upgrade from my Bifrost.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #6,640 of 7,224
I found this unboxing from 30 June 2022 without voice and I saw it includes a remote with volume control, does have the Gungnir this feature? At first I thought they could have mistake packing the Gungnir with the wrong controller.

1661503698784.png

Aug 26, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #6,641 of 7,224
The remote was bought separately. As you can see from the owner's manual, it is not an included item. So this is not yet a Gungnir 2 with upgraded features!

1661522227504.png

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #6,643 of 7,224
In case anyone is interested, this is what Schiit customer service had to say about stacking Gumby and Ragnarok (2):

ā€œYou could stack Ragnarok on top of Gungnir but the Ragnarok is quite heavy. Ideally it would be Ragnarok on top of Yggdrasil.ā€

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #6,644 of 7,224
In case anyone is interested, this is what Schiit customer service had to say about stacking Gumby and Ragnarok (2):

ā€œYou could stack Ragnarok on top of Gungnir but the Ragnarok is quite heavy. Ideally it would be Ragnarok on top of Yggdrasil.ā€
Rag 1 puts out a lot of heat and it's heavy. I wouldn't have my Gumby 1 on or below the Rag 1 ever. The Rag 2 puts out little heat but it's still too big a footprint to put Gumby under it. On top - if you must. Still cable mgt easier if there is more space from another having it on a separate shelf.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #6,645 of 7,224
Rag 1 puts out a lot of heat and it's heavy. I wouldn't have my Gumby 1 on or below the Rag 1 ever. The Rag 2 puts out little heat but it's still too big a footprint to put Gumby under it. On top - if you must. Still cable mgt easier if there is more space from another having it on a separate shelf.
Yeah I was surprised that they said Rag 2 could be placed on Gumby.

Iā€™ve ordered two of these to go side by side - https://amzn.eu/eLxn5rm

Gumby will go beneath with Rag 2 atop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back