Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 20, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #98,162 of 150,802
Confirmed. I was able to order a quad for my Freya+.

Said what the heck and threw in a Gungnir as well. I'll definitely be having a nice and Schiity day sometime by the end of the week.
I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the Gungnir when you get it, both initial and after a week or so if possible. I have a Bifrost 2 I'm thinking of selling & picking one up.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #98,163 of 150,802
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #98,164 of 150,802
Some early LISST impressions: First, it’s shorter than I expected – the rounded top is all that sticks out of my Lyr 3. It kind of looks like R2-D2 peeking out at you – very cool. Second, it runs quite warm. You’re not going to burn your finger if you touch it, but it’s close. It doesn’t get as hot as a regular tube, but don’t fondle it while the amp is on.

So how does it sound? Very nice, is my initial impression. It has a balanced, pleasant sound. Better than many tubes, but not as good as some. I still think that the Lyr 3 sounds better with a good tube like the Psvane 6SN7 ‘tennis ball’, but I need to listen more first.
Got my 4 LISSTs for my Freya+ and agree with a lot of this. I'd say the temperature they run at could burn your finger though.

I am not much for tube rolling, too much nervosa and too much can go wrong. I have a Ken Rad VT-231 for my Lyr 3 that is microphonic and about 40% of the time it powers on there's a ringing sound. But these LISST are very nice sounding and give me more confidence to just leave them on with my overkill Freya+-with-dual-Aegir-for-headphones. They also consume a lot less power than the stock Tung Sols, about 80-100W decrease at the wall.

Had a weird issue with my LISSTs on first use, though. I would notice an intermittent 'coughing' static from the right channel, was active for maybe 20sec per minute. Only noticeable during silence, didn't notice it during music playback. Did a left/right swap of the LISSTs to see if it was the LISSTs or something else and now it's just gone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #98,165 of 150,802
Had a weird issue with my LISSTs on first use, though. I would notice an intermittent 'coughing' static from the right channel, was active for maybe 20sec per minute. Only noticeable during silence, didn't notice it during music playback. Did a left/right swap of the LISSTs to see if it was the LISSTs or something else and now it's just gone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Swapping/reseating tubes, or LISST, can clean the pins/sockets and give you better contact and sound. It's a tube thang!

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #98,166 of 150,802
So I can just pick up a matching rig at Best Buy?

:wink:
Not exactly, but there's a knock-off version available at Wal-Mart throughout NC, and in the upgraded cardboard finish!

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #98,167 of 150,802
Not exactly, but there's a knock-off version available at Wal-Mart throughout NC, and in the upgraded cardboard finish!
Those are fine in a pinch but they smell like vinegar BBQ sauce.

(did I do that right?)

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #98,169 of 150,802

(did I do that right?)
Not quite, some folk in TX use vinegar in their sauces, I've heard NC standard is diesel, or perhaps lighter fluid.

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #98,170 of 150,802
Not quite, some folk in TX use vinegar in their sauces, I've heard NC standard is diesel, or perhaps lighter fluid.
I mostly associate Texas with dry-rub beef while Carolina BBQ always seems to have a ketchup-vinegar wet soggy sauce. But hey I'm from Missouri and in St. Louis or Kansas City what passes for BBQ is a sad imitation of the real deal in my opinion. :)

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #98,172 of 150,802
And unfortunately this has returned, or something similar has--this one is more like ocean waves breaking on the shore very quietly. Still only right channel, so not clear if it's LISST-related but it doesn't seem to be a specific LISST. It persists with really quiet music.

Seems to go away when using Freya+ in either of the other modes, but will spend more time with tube gain off to confirm before switching back to the stock tubes. It's entirely possible I never noticed this before because my usage has changed slightly (I used to use this rig only for dedicated listening sessions, so headphones were basically never on my head without music playing).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #98,173 of 150,802
And unfortunately this has returned, or something similar has--this one is more like ocean waves breaking on the shore very quietly. Still only right channel, so not clear if it's LISST-related but it doesn't seem to be a specific LISST. It persists with really quiet music.

Seems to go away when using Freya+ in either of the other modes, but will spend more time with tube gain off to confirm before switching back to the stock tubes. It's entirely possible I never noticed this before because my usage has changed slightly (I used to use this rig only for dedicated listening sessions, so headphones were basically never on my head without music playing).
Might be worth cleaning the tube sockets. Cheap and easy and can be surprisingly effective eliminating such issues in many cases.

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #98,174 of 150,802

(did I do that right?)

Not on you but......

It's absolutely NOT possible to do anything right in/with Vinegar BBQ Sauce!!! :ksc75smile:

(as always...standard Head-Fi disclaimers apply -- IMO, YMMV, etc.)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #98,175 of 150,802
Actually it is Leopard Seals that predate on penguins. But otherwise your observations are correct. Walruses eat crabs, etc. and are only found in the northern hemisphere while penguins are only found in the southern one.

p.s. Always nice to be late to the party and redundant to boot. Sorry all.
So you’re saying other posts predate (on) yours?

Apologies, resistance was (apparently) futile…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back