Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #98,147 of 149,339
Penguins are afraid to jump into the water because a walrus might be waiting to eat them. They crowd closer and push until one falls in. If the first one doesn’t get eaten they all jump in.

I think you're confusing your polar regions.

:beerchug:
JC

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #98,150 of 149,339
Well, the Lyr+ basically has a LISST in it. The non-tube mode uses depletion MOSFETs, which are the guts of the LISST. See Jason's post.

I suppose if just knowing it has a LISST will give you drooling panic attacks or trigger Tourette's episodes, you could always go in with pliers and a soldering iron and do a LISSTectomy. Might void the warranty, though.
Superb!

But yes, it is already SS, solid state, just not Robby The Robot looking solid state, i.e., the tube is removed and the amp goes SS. I have no problem with LISST (it is a sweet idea to a real problem!) save where is the glow of the tube? It can be done and to say that is me just being Shallow Hal superficial is fine with me but also telling. LISST is not a tube. It is more Master Cylinder (from Felix The Cat!) looking...
you.png

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #98,153 of 149,339
Some early LISST impressions: First, it’s shorter than I expected – the rounded top is all that sticks out of my Lyr 3. It kind of looks like R2-D2 peeking out at you – very cool. Second, it runs quite warm. You’re not going to burn your finger if you touch it, but it’s close. It doesn’t get as hot as a regular tube, but don’t fondle it while the amp is on.

So how does it sound? Very nice, is my initial impression. It has a balanced, pleasant sound. Better than many tubes, but not as good as some. I still think that the Lyr 3 sounds better with a good tube like the Psvane 6SN7 ‘tennis ball’, but I need to listen more first.

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #98,154 of 149,339
Penguins are afraid to jump into the water because a walrus might be waiting to eat them. They crowd closer and push until one falls in. If the first one doesn’t get eaten they all jump in.
Actually it is Leopard Seals that predate on penguins. But otherwise your observations are correct. Walruses eat crabs, etc. and are only found in the northern hemisphere while penguins are only found in the southern one.

p.s. Always nice to be late to the party and redundant to boot. Sorry all.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #98,155 of 149,339
Actually it is Leopard Seals that predate on penguins. But otherwise your observations are correct. Walruses eat crabs, etc. and are only found in the northern hemisphere while penguins are only found in the southern one.

p.s. Always nice to be late to the party and redundant to boot. Sorry all.

and pedantic

JC

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #98,160 of 149,339
For those who care about such things, the cables being used are a Nordost digital coax between source and DAC and Better Cables Silver Serpents RCA cables between the DAC and the preamp. The pre is driving Butler and Sunfire amplifiers through some Audioquest cables I had laying around. My loudspeakers are OB 3-ways of my own design using woofers I helped develop from consulting in the loudspeaker industry, CSS FR125 mids and RAAL ribbon tweeters with my design passive Xovers. The system has dual Adire Shiva subs in the front that are active all the time and 4X Acoustic Elegance IB15's in an IB installation in the ceiling that I turn on for loud movies. All the subs are driven by their own DIY Hypex class D amps that I built. :)

So I can just pick up a matching rig at Best Buy?

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back