Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 20, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #98,176 of 150,825
I bought a Lyr 3 literally days before the Lyr+ dropped. But I bought it used and it has the multibit card, so I’m thrilled I got it. I wanted the multibit card. I understand frustration from people but this is the case with all technology products. There will always be an upgrade.
Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.
O'Toole's commentary: Murphy was an optimist.

Pondoro's Observation: There will always be an upgrade.
Lynn*'s Non-exclusive Counter-observation: There will always be a downgrade.

<<</^

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.
Grimes

)()())[

*Lynn is my last name. On the rare chance this become quoted a lot, for once, I want credit!

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #98,177 of 150,825
Not on you but......

It's absolutely NOT possible to do anything right wrong in/with Vinegar BBQ Sauce!!! :ksc75smile:

(as always...standard Head-Fi disclaimers apply -- IMO, YMMV, etc.)
FTFY. I figured you were temporarily confused. 🤣

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #98,178 of 150,825
This coming from the Poster Child for CONFUSED. 🙄

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #98,179 of 150,825
Not quite, some folk in TX use vinegar in their sauces, I've heard NC standard is diesel, or perhaps lighter fluid.

Not surprising, really...just sounds like another synonym for their favorite NC 'adult' beverage! :wink:

1661018033366.png

Honestly, am beginning to wonder if it's a required ingredient for any 'food' products made (or assembled) in the Tar Heel State?!

1661018261099.png
1661019109912.png
1661019305104.png
1661019497739.png

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #98,181 of 150,825
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #98,182 of 150,825
Stupid question time: so does the Lyr sound like the Vali, only better? :thinking:
My first impression of Vali2 was exactly that: Wow, this sounds like a mini Lyr3!

Aug 20, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #98,183 of 150,825
But hey I'm from Missouri and in St. Louis or Kansas City what passes for BBQ is a sad imitation of the real deal in my opinion. :)
I am so happy to see someone else who feels this way. I remember many years ago, I was going to KC for the first time, and EVERYONE was telling me how I just had to go and have KC BBQ. I went to both Arthur Bryant's and Gates, and both were disappointing. Gates, which was repeatedly hyped up to me was only OKAY, and I thought Arthur Bryant's was terrible.

Aug 20, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #98,184 of 150,825
The upside is you know you won't get salmonella or e coli from these products. Guaranteed Sterile.

As for flavor, well, you're on you own. :smirk_cat:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #98,186 of 150,825
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Not surprising, really...just sounds like another synonym for their favorite NC 'adult' beverage! :wink:

1661018033366.png

Honestly, am beginning to wonder if it's a required ingredient for any 'food' products made (or assembled) in the Tar Heel State?!

1661018261099.png 1661019109912.png 1661019305104.png 1661019497739.png
moonshine jelly = sterno replacement. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #98,187 of 150,825
Stupid question time: so does the Lyr sound like the Vali, only better? :thinking:
Both are amazing pieces of kit. I will not voluntarily part with either. Vali, however, does travel with me, Lyr does not. One carry-on is a pelican-style case with Vali 2, a couple tubes, wall wart, DAP, accessories, and a pair of DCA Aeon RT closed (refer to earlier discussion regarding taking closed back cans on trips). So yeah, Vali 2 (and, I presume, 2+) punch far above their weight. Oh, and one of the tubes is ALWAYS a GE JAN 5670 with adapter. Can’t recall where I heard about it, but that short bottle sounds terrific! TubeDepot has adapters…

Lyr 3 is in the main rig, sometimes wth Psvane, sometimes with LISST (OG, new version ordered), and is truly amazing. I am interested in the 3+, may well make the trip over the grapevine to see if one might come home on the northbound leg or not…

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #98,188 of 150,825
taking closed back cans on trips
I've felt that the DCA Æon (2) closed are too demanding (very low impedance, low sensitivity) for travel gear. My A&ultima SP1000M DAP can't drive them to the level that I know they can reach, bass and dynamics are kind of anemic. I just got a pair of ETA Mini Closed that sounded really good out of the box. They are even smaller than the DCA units and lower cost. I got them as an alternative to IEMs, which I find too uncomfortable for long flights.

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #98,189 of 150,825
Last night I finally had a proper extended listening session with my new Folkvangr.

Before powering up, I replaced the 'stock' 6N1P input tubes with a pair of 'Reflektor' 6N23P EV tubes.

I had listened to the FV briefly last weekend, with the original 6N1P input tubes, but I think that the 6N23P replacements have taken the FV to an even higher level...

I was quite pleased with myself that I have managed to connect all of the kit with an array of cables, which look like an old telephone exchange, and it all works!

I needed various splitters and converters to allow all permutations.

The full list of kit comprises:

Sources:
  • Technics SL 1200 G (Turntable)
  • Logitech Transporter (Streamer)
  • Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk3 (CD transport)

DAC:
  • Yggy ( original, upgraded to A2 several years ago)

Amps:
  • Freya S
  • Rega Fono MM Mk3 (Phono stage)
  • Folkvangr (Headphone amp)

Tone control:
  • Lokius

Transducers:
  • Sennheiser HD 800S
  • ATC SCM 100 ASL (Active speakers)
The Lokius is only in the signal chain for headphone listening.
I used an RCA splitter from the Rega phono stage to allow outputs to both the Freya S for loudspeakers, and Lokius for headphones.
S/E outputs from Yggy are connected to the balanced input of Lokius using RCA to XLR converters.
The balanced outputs from Yggy go to Freya S balanced inputs for speaker listening.
Freya S is connected to the ATCs' built-in power amps using its balanced outputs.

Remarkably, all combinations work :relaxed:

I started listening with some digital material- CDs, Qobuz and ripped CDs from hard drive.
All sounded fantastic and I felt no need to use the tone controls in the Lokius; I left it in bypass mode.

I then turned to vinyl.
I started with a recently purchased, half-speed master of Jethro Tull's 'Thick as a Brick' which was remixed by Steven Wilson in 2012 and released on vinyl on 29th July this year as a 50th anniversary edition.
I know the album well as a friend bought it back in 1972, and I also have a copy on CD.

This new vinyl version is, without doubt, the best sounding version I have ever heard!
It is as clear as CD, but somehow more 'natural'.
I absolutely love it.

I then tried some used vinyl which I bought recently, including an original pressing of Deja Vu by CSN&Y
The sound quality was superb, but on some tracks the amount of surface noise and 'crackling' was intrusive.
I will take that copy back to my local record shop.
It is over 50 years old, but I do wonder what sort of blunt stylus has been dragged through the grooves over the past 50 years!

As a very recent returner to vinyl, I would appreciate any feedback from others on the forum who listen to a lot of vinyl, about whether it is realistic to expect very little 'crackle' on vinyl.

A friend of mine says that all of his vinyl albums which he bought new (often over 40 years ago) have no 'crackling'; it is only the ones he bought second-hand which have any noise.

If that is what I should expect, I might have to restrict any future vinyl purchases to brand new copies.

In summary, the Folkvangr/ Sennheiser HD 800S combination sounds fantastic (to my ears) and I am absolutely delighted with both.
It is as enjoyable as listening through my ATC speakers,, which is something I never expected.
I now understand why so many people love listening with headphones. :)

Also, vinyl has been a revelation.
I did wonder if I had made a very expensive mistake investing in a new vinyl playback system, after a 20 year absence, but I love it.

A crazy hobby :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #98,190 of 150,825
As a very recent returner to vinyl, I would appreciate any feedback from others on the forum who listen to a lot of vinyl, about whether it is realistic to expect very little 'crackle' on vinyl.

I think you can minimize the 'crackle' on vinyl. I've done a few things which have helped. One, I invested in a record cleaner (Okki Nokki) and use it pretty religiously. This can make a huge difference. Second, I've replaced most of my inner record sleeves with good quality ones (I like the audiophile inner sleeves from Sleeve City), which will help protect and keep your vinyl clean. Third, I bought the audio-technica AT-VM95 cartridge for my turntable that allows me to hot swap the stylus (very cool and useful). I use the nude microlinear most of the time, but for worn, older vinyl, I switch to the elliptical stylus.

IMHO, while it's often true that newer vinyl, especially the heavier 180g records, can be shockingly quiet on a good and well-calibrated turntable, the mix on the latest records sometimes pales to the original one, so I still play a combination of old and new records. Besides not everything is available new.

Glad you're enjoying your Folkvangr. (Still patiently waiting on mine ...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back