Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 25, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #5,522 of 7,050
I noticed a little bit of play on the RCA coax ... but now use the BNC connector ... it feels much more secure with no play at all

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #5,523 of 7,050
yep, a sturdier Jack

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #5,524 of 7,050
I noticed a little bit of play on the RCA coax ... but now use the BNC connector ... it feels much more secure with no play at all
BNC is a much better connector. I sometmes wish RCA were stillborn and BNC was the most common connector.

Jan 26, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #5,525 of 7,050
I've received a brand new Schiit Gungnir yesterday and I noticed that the digital coax port has a lot of wiggle play. Theres no problems with the sound, but I was wondering if this could be a cause for concern. I've already contacted Schiit about it and am waiting for a reply. But I also wanna know if any of you have experienced this.

Return it while you can. Mine is around 1 year old and no wiggle on any port whatsoever. I wouldn't buy any unit with that kind of flex.

Jan 26, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #5,527 of 7,050
Thanks guys. I've got a reply from Schiit and after viewing the image I sent them, they agree it's a defect and have arranged for exchange. So I should have my replacement Gungnir, hopefully with in a week.
I also bought at the same time a Modi Multibit and Magni 3. They are working fine, and are a decent back up.

While we're all here I must ask this question. I noticed that the Gungnir seems to have less bass than I remember. I owned one in 2016 but only kept it for about a month or two. But I do remember the sound was quit lively with some decent bass, and a very holographic mid section.
This new one sounded like the bass is bit rolled off. Unless I cranked up the volume or played something extra bassy, the Gungnir sounded kinda flat and even a bit muffled at time.
I'm just wondering why this might sound different.

I know I just got it, and some burn in is probably necessary, but I don't remember having an issue with the sound when I first plugged in the 2016 version. In fact some where in this thread around 2016 you may find me saying that the Gungnir is the best dac I ever heard.
Some factors that I know are different. are the 2016 version had a Gen 2 USB card, and A1 analog board. The new one has a Gen 5 USB card and an A2 analog board. Also in 2016 I was using RCA outputs to a Pioneer or Onkyo stereo receiver (I can't remember which), Today I'm using XLR outputs to a Parasound Halo Integrated Amp. I don't think the output types would make a difference, but I'm curious about the Analog boards. Do they sound different?

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #5,528 of 7,050
While we're all here I must ask this question. I noticed that the Gungnir seems to have less bass than I remember. ...

I know I just got it, and some burn in is probably necessary, but I don't remember having an issue with the sound when I first plugged in the 2016 version. ... Also in 2016 I was using RCA outputs to a Pioneer or Onkyo stereo receiver (I can't remember which), Today I'm using XLR outputs to a Parasound Halo Integrated Amp. ...

I have a Parasound A52 and I always thought it was a bit light in the bass. I've even plugged some passive subwoofers into it and sure enough the bass drops like a rock.

So, burn in and maybe find some way to goose the bass a bit.

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #5,529 of 7,050
I have a Parasound A52 and I always thought it was a bit light in the bass. I've even plugged some passive subwoofers into it and sure enough the bass drops like a rock.

So, burn in and maybe find some way to goose the bass a bit.

On no The Parasound Halo amp sounds great with other sources, I also connect a Parasound Halo CD 1, Parasound Halo T3, Bluesound Node 2i, and my PC by USB. I never use any of the tone controls, and the sound has always been good. Its only when I connect all those sources to the Gungnir did I have a problem. Hopefully Its just a matter of burn in time.
When burning in should I be playing something or should I just leave it on for a while? When I get my replacement/repaired one I'll give it at least 3 days before forming an opinion. I just really wanted to know if there was a known difference between analog boards because that's the only major change since 2016.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #5,530 of 7,050
Thanks guys. I've got a reply from Schiit and after viewing the image I sent them, they agree it's a defect and have arranged for exchange. So I should have my replacement Gungnir, hopefully with in a week.
Good 2 hear and kudos 2 Schiit.

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #5,531 of 7,050
Hi, TJ &

When I last spoke with Schiit, in the fall, they assured me that there is no A2 board for the Schiit Gungnir, unlike the Yggdrasil, explaining that they sometimes change part suppliers and make minor changes for practical reasons, but, that the Gungnir has not had an audio board redesign. It is possible, however, that the latest rendition, for the reasons given, may sound different/better than, for example, mine that has usb2 (I use coax).

With electronics, the magic number is 100 hours of burn in for any and all new electronics. Some component changes, like resistors and such, may settle down after 20 hours, soldering joints, up to 100 hours, Teflon caps at hundreds of hours and so you’ll have to give your Gungnir at least 100 hours to decide (you may notice an improvement after about 20 hours, but, after 100 hours, it isn’t likely to change significantly).

I’ve been at this hobby for nearly 40 years and I’m blown away by my Gungnir; give it time, I’m sure you will be too!

Good luck!

John

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #5,532 of 7,050
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #5,533 of 7,050
Hey everyone,

I have a Schiit Gungnir DS A1. I bought it for $375. I use it with an Eitr. Is it worth dropping the $650-$700 to get it multibit and gen5 internal usb?

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #5,534 of 7,050
Hey everyone,

I have a Schiit Gungnir DS A1. I bought it for $375. I use it with an Eitr. Is it worth dropping the $650-$700 to get it multibit and gen5 internal usb?

IMO, yes go for the upgrade. I also went Gungnir DS ---> MB and the SQ is much better - more real/analogue in nature. I would never go back.
I also have the Gen5 USB, a great upgrade from the older USB design. Much more stable and better SQ ... no more need for the Eitr.

However: Mike is working on "Gen6" USB that's a completely new & proprietary design of USB by Schiit Audio.
When completed, it will be offered for the Gungnir (and all upgradable) DACs.
Rumor has it this will be a big improvement over Gen5, and it should be getting close to launch. You might want to wait for it.
:)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #5,535 of 7,050
I have the Gumby multibit but there are plenty of DS dacs out there I like better as far as SQ. So much equipment, so little time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back