Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #5,538 of 7,050
This is a gumby thread and it would not seem right drifting off topic, PM me and I will try to discuss it there.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #5,540 of 7,050
This is the Gumby thread and you're slamming the Gumby. Hmmm.

You might want to reread what you just quoted me saying RCB, you may have missed something.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #5,541 of 7,050
You might want to reread what you just quoted me saying RCB, you may have missed something.

Oh, I did quote the wrong one, sorry. If I'm going to post stupid replies, I should at least reference the right stuff.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #5,542 of 7,050
Oh, I did quote the wrong one, sorry. If I'm going to post stupid replies, I should at least reference the right stuff.

I have not heard the DS Gungnir but I do have the multibit so I was always curious to hear that version. I believe I was told once that the Gumby is the multibit and Gungnir could be either?

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #5,543 of 7,050
I have a Schiit Gungnir DS A1. I bought it for $375. I use it with an Eitr. Is it worth dropping the $650-$700 to get it multibit and gen5 internal usb?
The gen5 internal usb is equivalent to an Eitr and wouldn't yield an improvement, but it would allow you to eliminate a box if you want to reduce clutter.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #5,544 of 7,050
The gen5 internal usb is equivalent to an Eitr and wouldn't yield an improvement, but it would allow you to eliminate a box if you want to reduce clutter.
Right, my main reason for doing so was to reduce the clutter and streamline. I was now thinking to sell the Gungnir and buy an SMSL SU8.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #5,545 of 7,050
I just got a chord qutest. It's exceptional, and doesn't measure like crap...like every schiit dac but the modi 3. (Which sounds better than mimby btw).

Nice! The Chord products are highly regarded.
Plus ... love your avatar :)

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #5,546 of 7,050
I have not heard the DS Gungnir but I do have the multibit so I was always curious to hear that version. I believe I was told once that the Gumby is the multibit and Gungnir could be either?

The first real DAC in my life was the Schiit Uber Bifrost.
Soon afterwards, I bought the Gungnir DAC. My quest was to go balanced; Gungnir was a big step up and forward.

This was back (in the days) when Yggdrasil was the only "multi-bit" closed-form DAC in the Schiit line-up.

For me, the Gungnir was a nice upgrade in SQ vs. the Bifrost. All my music sounded bigger and better ... more engaging.
Plus, I was on my balanced glide path. I started buying XLR interconnects and HP cables.

Not long after, Schiit announced the multi-bit upgrade for the Gungnir!
The $500 upgrade would replace the DAC chips and include Mike's closed-form analogue program - same as Yggdrasil.
Albeit, with slightly lower-class DAC chips, resolving to 19-bits instead of the Yggy 21-bits.

And so, the Gumby was born. Gumby = Gungnir MB. I jumped immediately.

The improvement with Gumby was immediate and impressive, even cold straight out of the box.
Wider, deeper stage. Better instrument placement and resolution. More "analogue" SQ.

Suddenly, my HD800 had bass!
I'd heard comments that the HD800 were flat, cold, neutral, reference, whatever. It's not true, I had just discovered.
Now the rig was approaching HD800-worthiness -- my ultimate goal.

After a warm 100-hours, the Gumby's SQ became magical.
How's that for not measuring my device. HA!

My SQ approaches that of the higher-end rigs I've heard: Yggy + Ragnarok and Yggy + WA5.
I've not heard the Chord Dave, and really don't want to ... because,
I'm happy! And, don't have $12,000 to spend on a DAC.

I also don't give a damn that the Schiit MB DACs don't measure well.
They sound great and that's what counts. YMMV as always in this hobby.

:)

@Paladin79 - perhaps if you send in your Gumby, The Schiit Audio Team can transform it into a Gungnir DAC and return it along with lagniappe - maybe a Saga or some cash ... it's best to ask them first.

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #5,547 of 7,050
@Paladin79 - perhaps if you send in your Gumby, The Schiit Audio Team can transform it into a Gungnir DAC and return it along with lagniappe - maybe a Saga or some cash ... it's best to ask them first.[/QUOTE]

@RCBinTN

Sorry RCB, you lost me I have no idea what you are saying, I own many DACS but I had not heard the DS version gungnir, that is what this conversation was about.
Anyway good luck in your endeavors. You are fortunate to be south, freaking cold here right now.:)

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #5,548 of 7,050
I just got a chord qutest. It's exceptional, and doesn't measure like crap...like every schiit dac but the modi 3. (Which sounds better than mimby btw).

Son, you've been reading bull-schiit on the internet again.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #5,549 of 7,050
Son, you've been reading bull-schiit on the internet again.

I have both a modi 3 and mimby sitting here. And I'm damn far away from being your "son".

Modi 3 eats mimby's lunch. At $150 less. There's zero reason to buy mimby.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #5,550 of 7,050
I have both a modi 3 and mimby sitting here. And I'm damn far away from being your "son".

Modi 3 eats mimby's lunch. At $150 less. There's zero reason to buy mimby.

Are you using the USB or Coax inputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back