Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 15, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #5,493 of 7,050
It's interesting how a DAC can make a difference in how my HD6XX can sound. I think it's the Gumby is (at least partly) responsible. I get large volume of mid-bass and significant impact with tight bass response. It doesn't sound as warm as other DAC I've tried. People with various setups will probably say HD58X has more bass, but with Gumby HD6XX outputs significant bass, and seems more impactful. It isn't warm bass with much decay, so it doesn't effect the sound all that much, but the Gumby does put out much clarity.

I'd recommend trying out the HD6XX, but my setup is Gumby to BHA-1, so different amping may vary the impression. But I think Gumby is (at least partly) responsible for it's damped response (it doesn't sound really warm as you'd expect of generally the HD650).

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #5,494 of 7,050
Just curious, are you using SE or balanced outs on the BHA-1? I've heard the SE isn't the best, and need to use the balanced to get the best out of it?
Balanced is generally increases the width of the stage for some reason with the BHA-1. But the amp is generally wide sounding even with single ended. Certain headphones, it's most appropriate to go single ended, the ones that are more efficient to drive like the Utopia. I think the dynamics maybe a bit too much balanced with such sensitive cans, and it's characteristic being a bit too forward (at least for my liking). It's interesting to see people drive Utopia straight out of Hugo 2, and talk about how small the stage of Utopia is. Utopia tend to increase the stage depending on the amp (although not significantly so), and BHA-1 will increase it (because it characteristically generally does).

Interestingly, even though the Sennheiser HD6-- series are considered efficient enough, balanced is the way to go with them. I think they need the increased dynamics.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #5,495 of 7,050
I can report the soundstage is amazingly wide with the GMB - BHA-1 - HD800 rig!
Haven't heard the HD6XX but I'm sure the GMB - BHA-1 can drive them very well.

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #5,496 of 7,050
This is clearly in the realm of heresy and speculation... however...

I'm in the process of considering a new Headphone/Speaker rig, and the Gungnir/Freya will be cornerstone elements of this.

I wanted to get folks opinion on the future of the Gungnir. Its been around for a while, and we know that Schiit is working on a new USB implementation which may or may not be available as an upgradable part.

My question is - I am in no rush, however does anyone have any insight as to if we are going to see a refresh/update to the Gungnir anytime in the near future?

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #5,497 of 7,050
Man, I'm beginning to get an idea what Gumby interacts best with. I think dynamic driver transducer types. I think it's no coincidence that HD6XX performs it's best out of it (as certain sources it can sound a bit warmer or wooly). I wonder if it applies generally to the type of DACs that the Gumby falls under?

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #5,498 of 7,050
This is clearly in the realm of heresy and speculation... however...

I'm in the process of considering a new Headphone/Speaker rig, and the Gungnir/Freya will be cornerstone elements of this.

I wanted to get folks opinion on the future of the Gungnir. Its been around for a while, and we know that Schiit is working on a new USB implementation which may or may not be available as an upgradable part.

My question is - I am in no rush, however does anyone have any insight as to if we are going to see a refresh/update to the Gungnir anytime in the near future?
So we think we've seen new analog boards for the Gungnir multibit, denoted by serial numbers starting with "B." However, Schiit has not formally, publicly acknowledged this as a new revision. So my guess is we will not see any updates besides the USB implementation for a while.

However, I do hope that Jason updates Freya shortly after the Aegir release. By a few people's accounts, Freya would be the weakest link in a Gumby -> Freya -> monoblock Aegirs -> ducers setup.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #5,499 of 7,050
So we think we've seen new analog boards for the Gungnir multibit, denoted by serial numbers starting with "B." However, Schiit has not formally, publicly acknowledged this as a new revision. So my guess is we will not see any updates besides the USB implementation for a while.

I do hope, however, the Jason updates Freya shortly after the Aegir release. By a few people's accounts, Freya would be the weakest link the Gumby -> Freya -> monoblock Aegir -> ducers.
I wish Gungnir had it's own volume control and acted like a pre-amp as well.

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #5,500 of 7,050
Meh, I like it when components have dedicated purposes.

Saga is an amazing SE preamp at an exceptional value. I've just heard a number of people wishing Freya had a lower noise floor, like the Saga. If you're using headphones (like the HE-6), there's no need to run Aegir as monoblocks so Saga would work just fine and sounds amazing. But there are real reasons for wanting balanced outs: supposedly a big deal with Yggy (not sure if that's true with Gumby) and it's the only way to monoblock two Aegirs for speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #5,501 of 7,050
Meh, I like it when components have dedicated purposes. .
^^ This. Please don't junk up my DAC with preamp functions. Thanks.

Dec 16, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #5,502 of 7,050

Well, this is not gonna happen.

The best version of the Gungnir DAC is AKA the Gumby ... currently in production.
Multibit technology with the "B" serial number and Gen5 USB.
All the bells and whistles for a tidy $1,249.

Keep it warm and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, Schiit Audio sells a couple of very decent pre-amps that come with volume controls :)

Dec 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #5,503 of 7,050
Well, this is not gonna happen.

The best version of the Gungnir DAC is AKA the Gumby ... currently in production.
Multibit technology with the "B" serial number and Gen5 USB.
All the bells and whistles for a tidy $1,249.

Keep it warm and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, Schiit Audio sells a couple of very decent pre-amps that come with volume controls :)

B serial number indicate a better firmware?

Dec 16, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #5,505 of 7,050
B serial number indicate a better firmware?

All new analog section, likely derived from the Yggy upgrade.

btw- The upgrade to Yggy 2 from 1 is substantial in a very positive way.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back