Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 3, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #5,476 of 7,049
Just curious, are you using SE or balanced outs on the BHA-1? I've heard the SE isn't the best, and need to use the balanced to get the best out of it?

Hello @Blueshound24 thanks, I should have included that info.
The exact rig is: Macbook Pro 2014/JR23 (min. 16/44.1 FLAC) --> Wywires Platinum USB --> Gen5 USB / GMB --> Wywires Platinum balanced interconnects --> BHA-1 --> Wywires balanced HP cable --> HD800 or LCD-4

I believe that better cables and balanced connections give better SQ.
I've been working with Alex at Wywires for a few years. His Platinum cables are excellent.
http://www.wywires.com/

I tested the SE output of the BHA-1 only one time, when trying out the stock SE cable that came with the LCD-4 headphones.
The SQ was OK but the volume was a bit lower, I think that's to be expected.
I didn't really do a critical A/B between the LCD-4 stock cable and the Wywires Platinum balanced cable.
I plan to use the balanced cable going forward (the SE stock cable is the backup).

Hope this helps!
RCB

ps. I'm not affiliated with Wywires in any way, just a satisfied customer :)

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #5,477 of 7,049
Hello @Blueshound24 thanks, I should have included that info.
The exact rig is: Macbook Pro 2014/JR23 (min. 16/44.1 FLAC) --> Wywires Platinum USB --> Gen5 USB / GMB --> Wywires Platinum balanced interconnects --> BHA-1 --> Wywires balanced HP cable --> HD800 or LCD-4

I believe that better cables and balanced connections give better SQ.
I've been working with Alex at Wywires for a few years. His Platinum cables are excellent.
http://www.wywires.com/

I tested the SE output of the BHA-1 only one time, when trying out the stock SE cable that came with the LCD-4 headphones.
The SQ was OK but the volume was a bit lower, I think that's to be expected.
I didn't really do a critical A/B between the LCD-4 stock cable and the Wywires Platinum balanced cable.
I plan to use the balanced cable going forward (the SE stock cable is the backup).

Hope this helps!
RCB

ps. I'm not affiliated with Wywires in any way, just a satisfied customer :)

Thanks for your info. It was only some impressions I read on some review regarding the better sound with the balanced outs. Don't know if it was accurate or not.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #5,478 of 7,049
I remember there being a fix for Gumby connected to PC optical to stop the constant relay clicking. I'm trying to find it. Has something to do with keeping the sound open and tricking the Gumby to think it's getting a constant signal or something like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #5,480 of 7,049
If you're getting constant clicking from the DAC, then there's an issue with your upstream source.
Does the far-right LED also light up?

I don't get any clicking, only when the music changes bit depth (for example, 16/44.1 to 24/96), then the GMB clicks twice and stops.
My experience includes both USB (Gen5) and optical connections directly from the Macbook Pro to the GMB. Nothing else in between.

I suggest you contact Schiit Audio technical support, at info@schiit.com.
Describe your rig and the issue, they will help you.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #5,481 of 7,049
If you're getting constant clicking from the DAC, then there's an issue with your upstream source.

I don't get any clicking, only when the music changes bit depth (for example, 16/44.1 to 24/96), then the GMB clicks twice and stops.
My experience includes both USB (Gen5) and optical connections directly from the Macbook Pro to the GMB. Nothing else in between.

I can confirm mine only clicks when changing sample rate. I have a TV on the optical, CD player on the coaxial, and Mac mini on the USB Gen 5. Only the Mac has any source material that changed sample rate. I haven’t tried using the optical out on the Mac to compare, since I need that input for the TV

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #5,482 of 7,049
My rig is very simple: computer - GMB - amp - HPs.
I had been using USB between the computer and GMB, but the Gen 2 USB was unstable and would drop the music.

So I switched to optical. The Macbook Pro has an optical output in the headphone port, so a direct toslink to GMB.
That connection was very stable and allowed music listening w/o interruption.

Then, the GMB was up-graded to Gen 5 USB.
The Gen 5 connection is very stable, no music drops at all, and IMO better SQ than with the toslink.

The Gen 5 USB is now my preferred connection.
There is no clicking, other than when the Mac changes music sample rate as Dana Reed wrote.

Happy Listening!
RCB

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #5,483 of 7,049

I have a Gen5 Gumby. No clicks with USB. Clicks all the time with optical. It disengages when there is no sound, but as soon as windows makes a sound/chime which is often it will click on which gets annoying real fast and then disengage again. I would stay with USB except I recently put a Chord Mscaler to go before the dac which is taking the USB now and it's and connected to the Gumby (temporary until my Chord TT 2 arrives) via BNC and the clicks are just as bad as optical if not worse.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #5,484 of 7,049
I swore, this time I would be boss. Firm but honest, thus my audio stuff is off limit, period!

IMG_1658.JPG

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #5,485 of 7,049
I swore, this time I would be boss. Firm but honest, thus my audio stuff is off limit, period!

Cute cat! Gumby is perfect, not too hot not too cold :p

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #5,487 of 7,049
I have a Gen5 Gumby. No clicks with USB. Clicks all the time with optical. It disengages when there is no sound, but as soon as windows makes a sound/chime which is often it will click on which gets annoying real fast and then disengage again. I would stay with USB except I recently put a Chord Mscaler to go before the dac which is taking the USB now and it's and connected to the Gumby (temporary until my Chord TT 2 arrives) via BNC and the clicks are just as bad as optical if not worse.

Interesting ... I was wondering if this whole "clicking" discussion was a Windoze problem.
There must be a way to disable local computer sounds, but I don't know how to do it in the Windoze environment.

I am using a Mac as my music server. It's very quiet, stable and easy ... no clicking on USB or optical.
There are likely others around Head-Fi who have faced the same issue. Maybe try over on the Yggdrasil thread?

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #5,488 of 7,049
The 4v XLR outputs would mean I need to turn my amp down a lot? but I’m already playing between 9-12 with no volume at 6-9 (just the way the Arcam works) I wouldn’t want to be stuck at 9-10.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #5,489 of 7,049
The 4v XLR outputs would mean I need to turn my amp down a lot? but I’m already playing between 9-12 with no volume at 6-9 (just the way the Arcam works) I wouldn’t want to be stuck at 9-10.
You should not need to compensate (turn down the volume) due to the additional voltage output from the source across XLR. The amplifier should step-down the volume (an internal, automatic compensation) via its XLR inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back