Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Nov 1, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,171 of 1,448
You could also consider that "hey maybe they are some actual differences" for some people. Regardless of whether you choose to believe it, there's no need to act like that...

Sorry, feel snarky today... Probably snake oil side effects.

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,172 of 1,448
Who needs science anyway. Pfft.

Answer me this then: If I have noise of my USB signal and I use the Wyrd to reduce some of that noise. Wouldn't it be possible that I might be able to hear some subtle details that I couldn't hear before (becuase they were drowned out by the noise that was just removed)? How would that not increase the quality of the sound that I am hearing?

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,173 of 1,448
Answer me this then: If I have noise of my USB signal and I use the Wyrd to reduce some of that noise. Wouldn't it be possible that I might be able to hear some subtle details that I couldn't hear before (becuase they were drowned out by the noise that was just removed)? How would that not increase the quality of the sound that I am hearing?

The only noise possible with USB is a ground loop hum, which Wyrd doesn't address. Also sound skips and clicks, which has nothing to do with instrument separation/soundstage and whatnot.

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,174 of 1,448
The only noise possible with USB is a ground loop hum, which Wyrd doesn't address. Also sound skips and clicks, which has nothing to do with instrument separation/soundstage and whatnot.

So now you're saying you don't believe in "Schiits claims"?

From their website:

"Have you ever heard strange noise from your USB DAC? Or have you had it “drop out” after the computer goes to sleep? Or does your computer have trouble recognizing your DAC at all? It could be due to noisy USB power, or USB port power management (very common with Windows 8 and Mac Mavericks.)"

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #1,175 of 1,448

From their website:

"Have you ever heard strange noise from your USB DAC? Or have you had it “drop out” after the computer goes to sleep? Or does your computer have trouble recognizing your DAC at all? It could be due to noisy USB power, or USB port power management (very common with Windows 8 and Mac Mavericks.)"

USB power noise is electrical, it's not directly audible. If severe, it might cause various protocol synchronization issues, errors etc. With USB digital nature, that could translate into audio streaming glitches, skips, pops. Wyrd is addressing that by giving a clean power supply and stable clock. But it doesn't magically improve your bass, soundstage, whatever.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,176 of 1,448

From their website:

If you are not experiencing dropouts,clicks or pops and that kind of related problems then the Wyrd has nothing to offer. Disruptions of the data chain do not affect FR, THD IMD, seperation, soundstage or the like. I'd say use the right tool for the right purpose, the Wyrd has a specific use that I would think few of us need. That said if one really wants a Wyrd, who am I to stop them? Probably won't hurt any and I'm sure that the boys at Schiit would appreciate the extra sales.
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,177 of 1,448
If you are not experiencing dropouts,clicks or pops and that kind of related problems then the Wyrd has nothing to offer. Disruptions of the data chain do not affect FR, THD IMD, seperation, soundstage or the like. I'd say use the right tool for the right purpose, the Wyrd has a specific use that I would think few of us need. That said if one really wants a Wyrd, who am I to stop them? Probably won't hurt any and I'm sure that the boys at Schiit would appreciate the extra sales.:D

Well I only mentioned detail retrieval and it's very subtle at that. Well regardless I stand by what I heard. I'll just agree to disagree then.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,178 of 1,448
Perhaps this is a bit off-topic, but has Schiit decided to fix the super high brightness levels with the LED on the front of the Bifrost yet? It is especially annoying when you have your gear in the same room you sleep in 

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,179 of 1,448
Perhaps this is a bit off-topic, but has Schiit decided to fix the super high brightness levels with the LED on the front of the Bifrost yet? It is especially annoying when you have your gear in the same room you sleep in 

Why not just put some translucent tape over it?

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,180 of 1,448
I will when I buy my Bifrost if they still havnt fixed the problem. Having a customer "fix" a problem is not the way to stay in business. People have complained about this particular issue. It is just not right for us to have to do certain things to cut the brightness down. They need to dial back their voltage a bit. I suppose I could add a resistor, but this is something I feel the company should be doing 

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #1,181 of 1,448
Why when the problem can be easy fixed with the tape that was mention, no need to do any hardware mods to the led. The led doesn't bother me but if it did, I would just place the kind of tape that was already mentioned.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,182 of 1,448
Once again, if there is a problem with a product, the developers/manufactures need to solve the problem at the source. Things like this should not fall on us, the consumers, to fix ourselves. I have seen so many reviews, threads, and posts as well as my own experience all critical of the LED brightness. I am surprised Schiit has not solved this at the source 

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #1,183 of 1,448
  Once again, if there is a problem with a product, the developers/manufactures need to solve the problem at the source. Things like this should not fall on us, the consumers, to fix ourselves. I have seen so many reviews, threads, and posts as well as my own experience all critical of the LED brightness. I am surprised Schiit has not solved this at the source 

If they dimmed the LED someone else might say that it's too dim during the say when a room light is on or sunlight enters through windows. It is possible that one person's fix is another's break. For me, the LED's fine as is.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,184 of 1,448

its not that bright anyway. I own 4 Schiit products and the LEDs don't bother me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back