Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Mar 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #828 of 1,448
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers,

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on helping me keep my optical cable secure connected to my Bifrost Uber. The problem I am having is that I use optical cables to connect it to my Titanium HD soundcard (bypassing the Titanium HD’s DAC). I have to use a special Optical cable (Toslink Cables) to connect it. (see attached pic)

My Titanium HD uses a mini Toslink cable on one end, and of course the Bifrost Uber uses the standard size Toslink Optical cable. I have 2 brand new cables for them, both are on the cheap side. The one is a mini Toslink cable to regular Toslink optical cable that came with the Titanium HD, the other one I purchased from Newegg for around $10 (yes, like I said they are cheap).

Anyhow, when connecting the regular sized Toslink cable to the Optical-in of the Bifrost Uber it is extremely loose and slightly touching it, much less moving the Bifrost Uber, will cause it to come out. Now this may not be a big deal for some people, but since my Optical cable is connected to my Titanium HD’s optical output, it is behind my PC, which is also behind a desk against the wall making it extremely difficult to crawl under there to get it and re-attach it, just for it to come loose again when it comes loose from the Bifrost Uber (the mini-plug connected to the Titanium HD is fit securely, it's just the Bifrost Uber's opitical-in that is extremely loose and comes out extremely easily, but when it comes out, like stated above, it falls down behind my desk and computer making it difficult to get, and this happens quite a bit).

Which brings me to my point. Are there any recommendations anyone can recommend as far as optical cables or perhaps an easier solution so that the optical cable fits securely into the Bifrost Uber? I am not sure if it is the optical port on the Uberfrost that is the issue, or if it is just the Optical cables (I have tried two of them, granted they are cheaper ones).

If you have any recommendations and/or easy solutions that I could do to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, or if there is a reasonable priced mini Toslink to regular Toslink cable you can recommend I would greatly appreciate it, although if there is a simple solution that I could do with something I have around the house that would be even better.

Thanks all!

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #831 of 1,448
  Yes I bought it with the uber analog and the usb gen2 upgrade

You're gonna love it. I don't use USB very often, but in the past, I could usually hear a difference when using it. With the Gen 2 USB, I can't hear a difference. It's USB done right. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #832 of 1,448
  Did you take the small rubber cap off the optical lens?

Hi, thank you for the reply, yes I did take the rubber cap off of both cables. I can get sound from both cables through the Bifrost Uber, the cable just does not fit securely and is very loose. The slightest movement of the cable and it will come out. I don't know if it is just because of cheap cables or why it is so loose in the Bifrost Uber's optical port.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #833 of 1,448
Did you push the cable all the way in until you felt a click? There is a tooth on the plug that snaps in to place. Once clicked, it will still wiggle a little bit, but it won't fall out. I'm using optical on my Bifrost, and the cable wiggles, but is secure. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #834 of 1,448
Thank you for the reply, I have pushed it in as far as it will go, but it doesn't click. This is true for both cables that I have. It's still extremely loose even when I push it in as far as it will go. I even triple checked to make sure that the cable was inserted the correct way, but just for the heck of it, I tried turning it upside down just to see if perhaps I was putting it in upside down, but still the same effect. The cable does work, it is just extremely loose and neither cable does not click into place at all. I could perhaps understand with one cable, but I have tried two different cables, granted they are only around $10 cheap cables, but they both do not click into place and they are so loose that I could almost blow on them and they will come out.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #835 of 1,448
Is the "garage door" dust cover still in tact on the Bifrost? If that's lost or broken, the plug won't hold securely. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #836 of 1,448
  Is the "garage door" dust cover still in tact on the Bifrost? If that's lost or broken, the plug won't hold securely. 

What is the garage door dust cover? The only thing I have back there is the black plastic port the optical cable goes in. It looks like this : (I don't have the USB port, but you can see the optical ports in these pics)

When you say "Garage Door, do you mean this as pictured below?

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #837 of 1,448
When did you buy your Bifrost?  I bought mine about a month ago, and my port looks like this (pic from web).

This is how the optical ports look in all my devices, but I have seen the one with the pull out dust cover.  I suspect this is why your cable is loose because of slight manufacturing variations in the female and male parts between brands. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #839 of 1,448
So, you don't have the swinging door?  Do you have the removable cap?

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #840 of 1,448
There wasn't a swinging door that came with it, and I have the cap, but in order to access the optical port, in needs to be removed. I can look for the cap as I am sure I put it in a safe place, but as I remember, the cap just covered the optical port and needed removal before you could insert an optical cable into it. If you look at the pic above with the cap on, there is no where to put an optical cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back