Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Aug 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #181 of 368
Quote:
What's the point of using Class 10 MicroCards with Sansa Clip+, Sansa Zip, FiiO X3, ...?
The only benefit is that you can copy your music files much faster to the card or read from the card  to your hard drive, etc.?
Does Class 10 (or Class 8) do anything good for audio playback?  I've read  that Class 6 or even Class 4 cards are good enough for audio playback?

I also think that many manufacturers are using class 10 as the base line for their higher capacity cards.  I don't think that I have seen very many class 4 64 gb cards.  So if you need a lot of space, you may not have a choice about what speed card you can buy.  It is not always a matter of performance gain, simply a matter of having tech that isn't so temperamental.  I remember being upset when my old camera wouldn't take anything bigger than 2 gb.  There are so many things that demand [size=12.0pt]continuous [/size]tech upgrades, it is always upsetting when standard data formats become one of them.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #183 of 368
Thank you for the clarification julian67.  I was not aware that SDHC stopped at 32 GB, but I guess it makes sense.  Looks like SDXC goes all of the way to 2 TB, so it may be a while before we need a new standard to hold our audio collections...

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #185 of 368
From the Sandisk Website.... "With its 4GB and 8GB capacities, the Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player offers plenty of space for songs, podcasts, audiobooks, and other audio files. This MP3 player also features a microSDHC card slot, so you can expand its memory by up to 32GB with a SanDisk microSD or microSDHC card" How do ya get a 64GB in your Zip?

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #186 of 368
Quote:
From the Sandisk Website.... "With its 4GB and 8GB capacities, the Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player offers plenty of space for songs, podcasts, audiobooks, and other audio files. This MP3 player also features a microSDHC card slot, so you can expand its memory by up to 32GB with a SanDisk microSD or microSDHC card" How do ya get a 64GB in your Zip?

First, you have to format it to FAT32....there are a few programs that can do this, but you'll have to search out which they are. And Rockbox is almost a necessity (although I realize you are already using it) because the Sansa firmware only allows a certain number of files in its database.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #187 of 368
How do ya get a 64GB in your Zip?

Format the card to FAT32. SDXC cards use the exFAT file system which is not useable except in SDXC compatible devices, but if formatted to FAT32 they will work just like a SDHC card. I don't know if the Sansa firmware supports file systems over 32GB but Rockbox definitely does.

You can find out more about SD and its variations at wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #188 of 368
Quote:
First, you have to format it to FAT32....

I believe that I have read that exFAT also works with a rockboxed Sansa, which can be done through windows.  I am waiting for a deal on one for my own Clip Zip, so I can't tell you from personal experience.  I am a digital hoarder I'm afraid, so I wish I could get a 128 GB card to really [size=12.0pt]stretch [/size]out on. 

Edit:

Quote:
SDXC cards use the exFAT file system which is not useable except in SDXC compatible devices, but if formatted to FAT32 they will work just like a SDHC card.

Thanks again Julian67!

peckingduck states that exFAT format works for 64 GB cards in the Clip Zip in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658955/sansa-clip-zip-micro-sd-64gb

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #189 of 368
I use rockbox with a fat32 formatted 64gb card. A sandisk card ironically. :p

It boots faster, doesn't require a database update every time you do anything with it, has an infinitely better eq and other settings and of course gives me around 72gb of space. :)

And the sound quality is superb. You can't beat the value at $100 total for a 72gb mp3 player so small and so good. I'm happy until the 128gb cards cone out.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #190 of 368
Is that just for the Zip?
Or clip + also?

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #192 of 368
Quote:

I think the internals are essentially the same for both.

I believe the only significant differences are the screen and the FM radio hardware.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #193 of 368
Nup too hard....lol

Ill just buy another card...

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #194 of 368
I have an 80GB rockboxed ipod, and a 32GB Cowon X9 with a 32GB microsd in it, so both of my Zips actually just have 16GB cards in them. I find for on the go that I can do just fine with that much music. Those other two players are more "transportable", nothing I would carry around like a Clip Zip/ Clip+. I might buy a 64GB card at some point for my tablet, to load up with movies, and if I do that then the 32GB I have in it now might end up in a Zip. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #195 of 368
Yeah I have enough space for me... Plus the drag n drop is an easy way to just update your library

Users who are viewing this thread

Back