Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #166 of 368
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #167 of 368
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #168 of 368
Tried those crossfeed settings but I'm not sure I'm happy with them. I had it on "Simple (Meier)".

One wish for Rockbox would be (except for a "Play all randomly" database option) a setting to move sound to the front like SRSWOW tries to do (never heard it).
I have enough voices inside my head as it is :wink:

"Meier" is a preset with specific values. If you want to use your custom settings you need to also change the Crossfeed setting to "Custom".

None of the Sansas deal with cards faster than class 4 well, unless you Rockbox them.

On the subject of microSDHC cards I have a Lexar Class 10 32GB card and it has been working fine in both original firmware and Rockbox for the last 18 months. It is a genuine product and measuring read write speeds shows it exceeds the Class 10 specification. If anyone is looking for a high quality, high speed card that isn't expensive I would recommend it. I bought mine from amazon, not market place.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #169 of 368
Quote:
What Stereo Width do you use?

I leave mine at the normal 100% most of the time, but with certain headphones I have used it at about 115%. Anything above 100% will widen the stereo image. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #170 of 368
Quote:
I don't use that because that's more or less the opposite of Crossfeed afaik.

Crossfeed is more likely to keep the sound more "in your head" as you described.....stereo width can do the opposite of that.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #171 of 368
Quote:

I leave mine at the normal 100% most of the time, but with certain headphones I have used it at about 115%. Anything above 100% will widen the stereo image. 

I thought you could customize your own "Stereo Widening" via Crossfeed...

I am still learning

Set it to Simple...100% S-Widening   sounds nice..

DAFT PUNK Giorgio by Moroder

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #172 of 368
Just thought...
... must try my Colorfly CK4 which has 2 headphone out ports with and extra pair Dr. Dre IEM's up my nostrils for some skull thumping bass :wink:

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #173 of 368
Quote:
On the subject of microSDHC cards I have a Lexar Class 10 32GB card and it has been working fine in both original firmware and Rockbox for the last 18 months. It is a genuine product and measuring read write speeds shows it exceeds the Class 10 specification. If anyone is looking for a high quality, high speed card that isn't expensive I would recommend it. I bought mine from amazon, not market place.

That's good to know. I've never had a Lexar card.....I've had SanDisk, Transcend, Kingston, and a PNY card that came in a trade. The only one of the bunch that is more than class 4 is the PNY, which is class 10. It works fine for me in my Clip Zip, but of course I have Rockbox installed.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #174 of 368
I think I understand what is going on now..lol

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #175 of 368
It sounds sooo much better like this....Thanks Achmedis

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #176 of 368
Jul 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #177 of 368
Quote:
That's good to know. I've never had a Lexar card.....I've had SanDisk, Transcend, Kingston, and a PNY card that came in a trade. The only one of the bunch that is more than class 4 is the PNY, which is class 10. It works fine for me in my Clip Zip, but of course I have Rockbox installed.

What's the point of using Class 10 MicroCards with Sansa Clip+, Sansa Zip, FiiO X3, ...?
The only benefit is that you can copy your music files much faster to the card or read from the card  to your hard drive, etc.?
Does Class 10 (or Class 8) do anything good for audio playback?  I've read  that Class 6 or even Class 4 cards are good enough for audio playback?

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #178 of 368
Yes, of course the "only" benefit is that you can move files to the card more quickly but that's hardly insignificant with a high capacity card.

If you rarely write new files to the card then Class 2 is fine but if you often copy files to the card then having a Class 10 is a big advantage. Class 10 specifies a minimum write speed of 10 MB/s on an unfragmented file system. My Lexar actually measures at 12 MB/s. It's a 32 GB card and is used for lossless music and lossy audio books and a few lossy podcasts. A lossless album is usually between 250MB and 450MB size. A multi CD audio book can even be bigger than that even when compressed to low bitrate. I used to find it incredibly tedious to transfer 100s of MB or several GB to a Class 2 card. Who wants to wait 15 minutes when 2 minutes is achievable? Even with relatively small transfers the benefit is felt.

I don't think there is any advantage for audio playback and a Class 2 or 4 card will be fine. But if you use the same card in devices which play back HD video then you really don't wan't Class 2. I found Class 10 was good for 720p video playback in an Android tablet but Class 2 was hopeless. Class 10 isn't expensive these days so I bought Class 10. On a 32GB card I could save maybe £3 by choosing Class 6 and it might only be capable of half the write speed I get now. No thanks.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #179 of 368
I use a 16gb sandisk class 4 micro sd works fine... It took 13 mins to transfer 2.6GB last night Around 3.0mbps

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #180 of 368
Quote:
Yes, of course the "only" benefit is that you can move files to the card more quickly but that's hardly insignificant with a high capacity card.

If you rarely write new files to the card then Class 2 is fine but if you often copy files to the card then having a Class 10 is a big advantage. Class 10 specifies a minimum write speed of 10 MB/s on an unfragmented file system. My Lexar actually measures at 12 MB/s. It's a 32 GB card and is used for lossless music and lossy audio books and a few lossy podcasts. A lossless album is usually between 250MB and 450MB size. A multi CD audio book can even be bigger than that even when compressed to low bitrate. I used to find it incredibly tedious to transfer 100s of MB or several GB to a Class 2 card. Who wants to wait 15 minutes when 2 minutes is achievable? Even with relatively small transfers the benefit is felt.

I don't think there is any advantage for audio playback and a Class 2 or 4 card will be fine. But if you use the same card in devices which play back HD video then you really don't wan't Class 2. I found Class 10 was good for 720p video playback in an Android tablet but Class 2 was hopeless. Class 10 isn't expensive these days so I bought Class 10. On a 32GB card I could save maybe £3 by choosing Class 6 and it might only be capable of half the write speed I get now. No thanks.

I can play 720p on my Android tablet with a Class 4 card. Most of mine are Class 4 just because when I bought them the Class 10 were still significantly more expensive.

I would certainly want Class 10 if I was getting a 64GB or larger card. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back