Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Aug 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #197 of 368
A  64GB card holds around 800 hours of music at an average bitrate of 192kbps. If you get 14 hours of battery life, that means you can only play less than 2% of the music in the player per charge cycle. It seems that the shortage here is battery life, not storage. They could boost the battery life of the Clip Zip to 30 hours without making the player  that much larger(perhaps only around 20% thicker).

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #198 of 368
Quote:
A  64GB card holds around 800 hours of music at an average bitrate of 192kbps. If you get 14 hours of battery life, that means you can only play less than 2% of the music in the player per charge cycle. 

A vast majority of the people  here use higher bitrates than that, and many of those in that majority use lossless files. So your theoretical 800 hours is more often than not just that....theoretical. 

The people who want all that storage space want access to more of their collection so that whatever mood strikes them, they have the music with them....it's not about being able to listen to all of it each day.

Originally Posted by JK1 
 It seems that the shortage here is battery life, not storage. They could boost the battery life of the Clip Zip to 30 hours without making the player  that much larger(perhaps only around 20% thicker).

Not this again......  
deadhorse.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #199 of 368
Quote:
A  64GB card holds around 800 hours of music at an average bitrate of 192kbps. If you get 14 hours of battery life, that means you can only play less than 2% of the music in the player per charge cycle. It seems that the shortage here is battery life, not storage. They could boost the battery life of the Clip Zip to 30 hours without making the player  that much larger(perhaps only around 20% thicker).

But then we have to persuade the great maker to at least double the duration of our days too, don't we? Oh the horror! Working days of 16+ hours minimum.
Otherwise we might as well just charge our favourite player every night right?

A 64GB card will give you a larger shuffle list. That's good. After recharging it tonight you have a new day with all new music. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #200 of 368
 A vast majority of the people  here use higher bitrates than that, and many of those in that majority use lossless files. So your theoretical 800 hours is more often than not just that....theoretical.

True. I have a Clip+ 8GB with a 32GB card. At the moment that holds 29GB of flacs and about 7GB of ogg/m4a/mp3. There is about 2GB free and the rest of the capacity is taken up by the FAT, by system/firmware files and by a few MB of text files.

That's about 105 directories containing lossless, with each being a complete CD, and 44 directories containing lossy, of which about 10 are album length (audio book) and the rest contain just one or a few podcasts or radio downloads/recordings. This doesn't add up to even 200 hours, possibly not even to 150. So even with a 64GB card a figure of 800 hours looks like it would be at least two and maybe three times too large for me.

If someone wants something a lot like the Clip+ but a little bigger and with longer battery life it is available and it's called the Fuze v2 which can still be found new on Amazon US and UK sites.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #201 of 368
Was there ever a consensus on this as to which is the "better" player?

I had a Clip Zip for a few months and it was a good player, but I really disliked the original firmware and chintzy low-res screen. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Clip+, if for no other reason than to try something different.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #202 of 368
The Clip+ is a proven stayer....
Also Rockbox is a must!!!

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #203 of 368
Quote:
Was there ever a consensus on this as to which is the "better" player?

I had a Clip Zip for a few months and it was a good player, but I really disliked the original firmware and chintzy low-res screen. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Clip+, if for no other reason than to try something different.

Both players are equal in size, sound quality and build quality.
I prefer the rockboxed Zip simply because of the larger display. I think it looks a bit better too.
When installing rockbox you have a large collection of themes to select for install so you you can make it to your liking.

Take the one you like best; you simply can't go wrong with these gems and with Rockbox on it they are even (a lot) better!

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #206 of 368
Going to go with the Clip+. Just seems more reliable from everything I've read.

Ideally I would go with the original Clip but the lack of SD slot is a non-starter.
The zip is my choice. It basically IS a clip+ with a better screen. All ither hardware is identical sound wise.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #207 of 368
Quote:
The zip is my choice. It basically IS a clip+ with a better screen. All ither hardware is identical sound wise.

Yes, a Clip+ with a bigger screen and a more durable clip on the back of it.  One difference though, in the SanDisk factory firmware, the Zip plays back at the proper speed, and the Clip+ speed is a little off. With Rockbox, though, the Clip+ plays back just fine.  I use my rockboxed Zips quite frequently, they're just so darned convenient.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #208 of 368
Quote:
Yes, a Clip+ with a bigger screen and a more durable clip on the back of it.  One difference though, in the SanDisk factory firmware, the Zip plays back at the proper speed, and the Clip+ speed is a little off. With Rockbox, though, the Clip+ plays back just fine.  I use my rockboxed Zips quite frequently, they're just so darned convenient.

Why would you ever buy any clip without using rockbox? :wink:  It's mandatory.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #209 of 368
Quote:

Why would you ever buy any clip without using rockbox? :wink:  It's mandatory.

As far as I am concerned, it really is mandatory. But I've heard of people complaining that the menus are too confusing....at which point I chuckle to myself. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back