Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
Apr 5, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #46 of 315

[size=medium] Quote:
What exactly are you referring too? I'm not sure what you are addressing =P. I personally find the treble on these incredibly tame for the amount of detail they have. They present more detail than any other headphone I've owned, while being the least harssh besides my PX200-II and unmodded RX700. They are certainly wayyy less harsh than the denons D1100s. After burn in they the samsons are barely recessed if at all.

[/size]

Talking about D1100, you seem to agree on the point D1100 sounds harsh in the highs (upper highs mostly) despite the treble extension isn't particular impressive, far from it IMO. It's weird how some headphones have a lot more edgier/sharper highs which is how I'd describe D1100's highs even if in my ears I don't concider them that exaggerated at all, quite neutral or in some parts maybe even slightly veiled even. While other headphones which it sounds like this SR850 seems to have a decent treble extension but have "softer"/more gently sounding highs. Any1 got any good explanation for this? I personally hate this "edgy"/sharp and somewhat crisp kind of sound. Difficult to explain it in words.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #47 of 315

Quote:

Talking about D1100, you seem to agree on the point D1100 sounds harsh in the highs (upper highs mostly) despite the treble extension isn't particular impressive, far from it IMO. It's weird how some headphones have a lot more edgier/sharper highs which is how I'd describe D1100's highs even if in my ears I don't concider them that exaggerated at all, quite neutral or in some parts maybe even slightly veiled even. While other headphones which it sounds like this SR850 seems to have a decent treble extension but have "softer"/more gently sounding highs. Any1 got any good explanation for this? I personally hate this "edgy"/sharp and somewhat crisp kind of sound. Difficult to explain it in words.

I think it simply has to do with spikes in the frequency response in some treble areas but then roll off in the higher parts. I believe usually the harsh sounding ones have a bunch of treble in the 5000-7000 hz range which is where sibilance and most of that sharp sound tends to come in at. The exact range varies but most of the harsh sound tends to be below 10000 hz, and yet lots of treble detail and "sparkle" occur above that. The D1100 probably has spikes in the 3000-10000hz area but rolls off above that. I actually like the Denons alot but there is something very unsatisfactory about them having both less detail resolution in the highs than the samsons while being way harsher.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #48 of 315
here's a review from a customer at B&H

"Samson describes these cans as studio reference; but in my opinion that is an optimistic stretch. Considering their discount price these are the best headphones for the money, but they do not rise to the level of studio reference. Bass is more than adequate, mids are somewhat flat, the upper registers slightly tinny but overall very good sound. The 32 ohm phones are easy to drive to deafening levels. They are quite accurate in sound delivery. Good isolation with oversized 50mm drivers and a decent soundstage depth derived from the semi-open design. If you listen via earbuds/earphones try these discount cans. The SR850's are one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Even after 6 hours, there is no discomfort or fatigue from extended listening sessions. Great is an understatement for the cost. Everyone should have a pair in their audio equipment inventory.I cannot speak on durability only having the SR850's for two days; but they appear to be able to withstand regular daily use. A must buy."

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #49 of 315
My only issue with that review is that he or she seems to have the impression that because they are so cheap, they can't match some top reference cans. I can certainly name some well known reference cans they beat or match. I wish people would not assume low price automatically means less quality.

Still, the reviewer likes it so I guess that's what matters =P

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #50 of 315

Quote:
My only issue with that review is that he or she seems to have the impression that because they are so cheap, they can't match some top reference cans. I can certainly name some well known reference cans they beat or match. I wish people would not assume low price automatically means less quality.

Still, the reviewer likes it so I guess that's what matters =P

he did say they are a "must-buy". his review, yours and some others have convinced me, and i will be ordering a set.   :)

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #51 of 315

Quote:
here's a review from a customer at B&H

"Samson describes these cans as studio reference; but in my opinion that is an optimistic stretch. Considering their discount price these are the best headphones for the money, but they do not rise to the level of studio reference. Bass is more than adequate, mids are somewhat flat, the upper registers slightly tinny but overall very good sound. The 32 ohm phones are easy to drive to deafening levels. They are quite accurate in sound delivery. Good isolation with oversized 50mm drivers and a decent soundstage depth derived from the semi-open design. If you listen via earbuds/earphones try these discount cans. The SR850's are one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Even after 6 hours, there is no discomfort or fatigue from extended listening sessions. Great is an understatement for the cost. Everyone should have a pair in their audio equipment inventory.I cannot speak on durability only having the SR850's for two days; but they appear to be able to withstand regular daily use. A must buy."

Reviewed by Average Joe music listener

I have a feeling that it's someone on this forum......hmmmmmm

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #52 of 315
I got mine 2 days ago, still in the process of breaking them in. So far they sound very good for being just $40.  I have A/B'ed them against my HD555, Markl Mod D2000 (with d700 cups) and Grado HF-2, and they hold up fairly well. I am not very good at describing what I hear but from what I head it has less bass then D2000 and not as clear as HD555. But overall very good.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #53 of 315
Glad to read you are enjoying them! I'm resisting the temptation to try out the other Superlux Models for the sake of my wallet, but man do I want to if they have performance per dollar like my Samsons.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #54 of 315
I've seen a few posts mentioning velours on these, but only one link that "should work". Has anyone here actually attached velours from AKG/Beyer/anyone to this headphone without a hassle?

The link I saw was for the k271 pads, and while i would grab those I'm hesitant to spend what works out to be almost the cost of the entire headphone for something that "should fit".

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #55 of 315
The K271 pads are known to fit easily. That's because they have very similar housings. Its the Beyer ones that are rather tricky to fit on. I haven't done either myself but I am quite sure that you'd have no trouble fitting the K271 one pads, at least not moreso than using stock pads.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #57 of 315

Quote:
After 300 hours of burn-in they still have weird sounding mids, especially at the 1kHz region; it sound very recessed at that point. Not impressed. 

Can you elaborate on this? I'm planning to buy a pair of these this week - I've also used and liked the RX700, but haven't seen anything too negative about these, and they look to be more comfy (lighter, the k240s was great and light when I tried it). Bad mids could kill it, but I'm interested to hear why they are bad.

What are you comparing them to?

Edit: didn't see you call them recessed. My mistake, I need to learn how to read. :)

The DT-880 has fairly recessed mids in the opinion of a lot of people, doesn't it? I loved the 880, so this may not bother me too much I'm thinking.

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #58 of 315
IMO there is no comparison between the mids and on these and those on the RX700. Meaning the Samson's are much better. I can't quite hear what fear is hearing, but then again given his signature, he has more experience with mid centric/forward headphones than I do (not usually a sound signature I prefer).

The mids on the Samsons are definitely more forward overall than on the RX700. I own both and have A/Bd them, although I dont have the RX700s with me right now to do a second comparison. They are also substantially more comfortable than the JVCs. I also loved the JVCs, but to my ears the Samson's are better in every respect except possibly isolation/leakage, though the RX700 isn't exactly great at that either.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #59 of 315

Quote:
IMO there is no comparison between the mids and on these and those on the RX700. Meaning the Samson's are much better. I can't quite hear what fear is hearing, but then again given his signature, he has more experience with mid centric/forward headphones than I do (not usually a sound signature I prefer).

The mids on the Samsons are definitely more forward overall than on the RX700. I own both and have A/Bd them, although I dont have the RX700s with me right now to do a second comparison. They are also substantially more comfortable than the JVCs. I also loved the JVCs, but to my ears the Samson's are better in every respect except possibly isolation/leakage, though the RX700 isn't exactly great at that either.

I've never heard the RX700 before (only RX900) and I have to agree SR850 is better than the RX900 in details. However I find the JVCs more comfortable than SR850's stock pads(which are terrible IMO). Everyone say the SR850 have forward/smooth mids but IMO the mids sounds worse than the M50(and I considered them a bit recessed). It's either I have a defective pair (which I doubt), it's the way they sound like (my ears might not be used it it's sound signature), or my ears have a problem.

I EQ'ed them (around 10db boost at 1kHz) and they sound WAY better than before. It brings out the vocal more and make instruments sound more lively.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #60 of 315
I've never heard the RX700 before (only RX900) and I have to agree SR850 is better than the RX900 in details. However I find the JVCs more comfortable than SR850's stock pads(which are terrible IMO). Everyone say the SR850 have forward/smooth mids but IMO the mids sounds worse than the M50(and I considered them a bit recessed). It's either I have a defective pair (which I doubt), it's the way they sound like (my ears might not be used it it's sound signature), or my ears have a problem.

I EQ'ed them (around 10db boost at 1kHz) and they sound WAY better than before. It brings out the vocal more and make instruments sound more lively.

Nah I'm pretty sure neither the headphones nor your ears are defective =P It's probably just what you're used to and your own tastes. I usually prefer my vocals to not be too forward except in recordings where vocals tend to already be recessed(check just about every Michael Jackson song =P). I tried messing around with EQ but ended up leaving them with the EQ turned off. If I did to anything it would be to turn up the sub 40 hz region a bit higher and the 40-200hz region a bit lower, to make the bass a bit more linear, although I don't think the mid bass bump is too excessive(hence why I just left them normal).

As a note to other readers, not you in particular Fear since I know you've burned them in already, I did find the mids recessed at the start but they moved noticeably more forward after a good amount of burn in.

In terms of comfort though, the RX900 can't be used as a comparison to the SR850 relative to the RX700, since they have pleather pads and headband which are thicker, softer, and more comfortable than the very thin cheap vinyl pads that the RX700 uses. The RX700 is less comfortable than the SR850, and the SR850 is less comfortable than the RX900, imo. I'd also assume that the comfort of the SR850 depends alot on your head size and ear shape/size. I have pretty average to small ears that don't protrude outwards too much and don't feel like they clamp hard against my head at all. I can see those with larger ones having larger heads and ears feeling more discomfort. The AKG pleather or velour pads are supposed to make them alot more comfortable and improve the sound by every account I've read, but I'm happy as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back