Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
Mar 31, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #32 of 315

Quote:

I checked Superlux homepage which shows frequency response graphs and comparing to other common headphones and looks like HD 681 isn't quite my type, too much of a V-shaped frequency response with too much recessed mids vs too greatly emphasized highs

http://www.superlux.com.tw/productInfo.do?pdctid=348989e5-79f1-451a-8e71-387ca8bcf703&pdkid=3a182f85-9464-41bf-b4c7-d618102f84ac&level=2&lv0=1

Have any1 removed this foam ring then?  http://assets.head-fi.org/2/24/1000x500px-LL-2442e235_superlux688bdamper.jpg

There are supposed to be some mods that help tame the highs alot though. Thanks for the graphs, look at that low extension on the 681 lolz

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #33 of 315
24+ hours of burn in so far. No real noticeable difference, IMO. The highs might not be as harsh. Bass still seems a bit too elevated/bloated. Still burning them in...

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #34 of 315
Interesting that you're finding them so bassy, even more than the D2000, which I never expected. I wonder what the differences between the Samson and the 668B are because I usually hear the latter are bass light.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #35 of 315
Quote:
Interesting that you're finding them so bassy, even more than the D2000, which I never expected. I wonder what the differences between the Samson and the 668B are because I usually hear the latter are bass light.

The weird thing is that it's not always apparent. Sometimes the bass sounds nice and punchy. Other times, it sounds too bloated. It really depends on the song, it seems. Or maybe it has to do with the pads conforming to my head/ears over time and providing a better fit? The D2000s never sound too bass heavy to me. They're very tight and punchy with slight hint of bloat and oomph that seems to emulate a lot of subwoofers pretty well. This might be highly dependent on my source.

Doing some A/B comparisons with the D2000s...it seems like the D2000s have an overall smoother sound. Listening to Skrillex's "Kill Everybody", it almost seems like the D2000s do have about the same amount of bass as the Samsons. It's just tighter, extends further, and is more detailed. The Samsons, however, seem to have much more high-midrange/treble in certain areas (and it's harsher). Some mids still can seem a bit recessed on the Samsons, though. So, I think it's highly dependent on the recording to make the Samsons sound more or less bloated than they really are. Still, they sound more forward than they did at first.

Comparing the two with Opeth's "Ghost of Perdition", it's noticeable that the Samsons do indeed have much more high-midrange and treble in some areas than the D2000s. In a way, it makes them sound more aggressive, more fun to listen to in some ways. Akerfeldt's vocals are much more present than on the D2000s at times. The guitars sound more in-your-face. The drums sound livelier. In a sense, it's like a slight veil has been lifted from the D2000s and then pumped with aggression. It's a faster, more responsive sound. Yet, at the same time, it sounds like it's missing areas that the D2000s have. While some of the mids and treble are more noticeable than the D2000s, some areas of the mid and treble sound as if they've been "cupped" (as if you were able to cup your hand over the sound to shape it differently). So, at first, one might be more excited about the Samsons, but when you listen back and forth, it's noticeable that they are missing more areas of the sound than the D2000s. It's a less cohesive sound overall. (It's almost like the V-shape EQ is present in the mids alone rather than the full sound spectrum).

One thing is for sure. I can turn the D2000s up louder than the Samsons without my ears hurting. The nice thing about the D2000s is that they're still fun, lively, and present everything well while providing a smooooth sound.

The bloat might also be from what seems to be a specific peak in the bass response in the Samsons. Almost like a reverberation.

In all honesty, the Samsons sound exactly like one would expect a semi-open headphone to sound. In some ways, it sounds closed (ex: cupped sound). Yet, at the same time, sometimes the soundstaging and imaging really make it sound like an open headphone. I think it provides for a slightly off experience. They also just can't seem to make up their minds! Sometimes bloated. Sometimes not. Sometimes way too aggressive. Sometimes just right. They are definitely not as refined and well rounded as the D2000s. 

Worth $40 still? Hell yeah. Approaching M50 level? I'm still thinking yes. That's about as far as I'd take them, though. (Still burning in, though) Yeah, I know the D2000s cost at least 5 times as much as the Samsons, but it's all I have to compare! :p

Also, for experimentation, I tried removing the thin filter right behind the cup of the headphones (right behind the open part of the headphone). It made them sound slightly more airy and open, yet made them slightly too aggressive and bright to listen to.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #36 of 315
Also, according to the Superlux website, the 668Bs and DT990s have a similar frequency response. If you compare D2000 frequency response graphs with the DT990 models, the DT990s have a bigger bass hump in the 80-200Hz range (depending on where you get your graphs). Extension is about the same, but the D2000s are undoubtedly more neutral up to 1KHz. This would correspond well to the Samsons also having bass that is occasionally more bloated than the D2000s. It also seems like the DT990s heavily emphasize treble and upper midrange, which also goes along with my findings.  

Obviously this isn't the most scientific, accurate way to look at it, but it's at least interesting IMO.

I think burn-in should help tighten the bass further in the Samsons. I'd like to find a way to reduce the upper midrange and treble without soldering in filters like some do. They also really need some of those nice AKG velour earpads. Maybe even some slight dampening? I think with all that, they'd be great!

Similarly, my D2000s could use some JMoney pads, wood cups, and dampening!

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #37 of 315
Thanks for your impressions! I haven't heard the D2000s so I can't comment, and it doesnt seem to me like the d2000 is similar to th D1100s at all either sound sig either.

I really want to try the 668B because I wonder how much of a difference the higher impedance will make, besides any other features Samson might have changed. The samson's are supposed to be bassier, but that might be a clamping force thing. And yea, they're definitely not bass light imo.

Either way, there's no denying they are a great value. Certainly don't think you'll find much else under 100 that will sound as good =P

I really wanna try those AKG pads.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #38 of 315
Good to see another Superlux thread on here. I have both the 681 and 668B, and while the 668B sounds more refined, the headband on the 681 is heaps better. For anyone looking at getting the 668B, take a look at the Samson SR850 as well, as it appears to have a smarter headband design.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #39 of 315
After looking at the frequence curves, the superlux hd681 has loud subbass , where the hd688 starts to roll of around 50hz i will be going with the hd681 there even cheaper on amazon.co.uk there just under £20.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #40 of 315
Sounds like a good choice! You might want to do some mod or EQ to tame the highs if you are sensitive to harshness, but they seem like they will met your bass standards ^_^

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #41 of 315
Try out these EQ settings for your SR850 if you use iTunes. It's not perfect, but they sound a lot better now. They actually sound excellent!

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #43 of 315
Indeed. Most all of my headphones are of the recessed mid variety as I usually find it conforms more naturally to my loudness/acoustic preference curve, and even then these seemed recessed for me at first. They certainly sounded moreso than my D1100s. A week or 2 later and they are certainly more forward than the Denons.

If it does happen to just be some psychoacoustic conformation though(which I really doubt), a bit of EQing should help.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #44 of 315
It's a shame it has to be that way though, I'd rather see a slight midrange boost than treble range boost personally if you really have to boost either of them. I see it more like cheap gimmick when having a slight treble boost for untrained ears that "hey look how detailed it sounds like" because that's what most people reacts like when treble is boosted but in reality this is not how it sounds like IRL, voices don't "sparkle". You can have the same detail without any treble range boost but whitout this sparkle/"chirping" etc.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #45 of 315

Quote:
It's a shame it has to be that way though, I'd rather see a slight midrange boost than treble range boost personally if you really have to boost either of them. I see it more like cheap gimmick when having a slight treble boost for untrained ears that "hey look how detailed it sounds like" because that's what most people reacts like when treble is boosted but in reality this is not how it sounds like IRL, voices don't "sparkle". You can have the same detail without any treble range boost but whitout this sparkle/"chirping" etc.

What exactly are you referring too? I'm not sure what you are addressing =P. I personally find the treble on these incredibly tame for the amount of detail they have. They present more detail than any other headphone I've owned, while being the least harssh besides my PX200-II and unmodded RX700. They are certainly wayyy less harsh than the denons D1100s. After burn in they the samsons are barely recessed if at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back