Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
Dec 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #301 of 315
  Does anyone here not find the headband comfortable? I'm not sure if it is the size of my head but the force of the headband results in head being in pain (+ bad hair :p).

I was thinking of getting the Superlux HD668B since they are basically the same but I am hoping the HD668 head band is more comfortable.

To me they are comfy, but the sibilance is a too much. I'd go for the JBL Synchros S500's. Very detailed headphones. There are a couple on ebay for 50, which is a steal.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #302 of 315
  To me they are comfy, but the sibilance is a too much. I'd go for the JBL Synchros S500's. Very detailed headphones. There are a couple on ebay for 50, which is a steal.

They are about $120 AUD here in Australia which is 2x the price of the SR850s or Superlux HD668. I have purchased some velour ear pads which will make things a little more comfy but will probably have to find new headphones with a different head band.

I guess I want something like the Superlux HD668 since I have been using my brother's 'gaming' headset a lot due to the comfy head band -

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #303 of 315
I just got me a pair of SR850 headphones, used on canuckaudiomart, and you know what, I like them. I love my Grados, but for casual listening here and there, these sound great. Comparable to the original Grado SR80.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #304 of 315
Sorry to dig up this topic, but today I had a revelation that i want to share. Just got a pair of JVC Ha-Rx900, and tried out swapping their pleather pads with the velours on the 850. Both sound signatures changed substantially, but i'm here to talk about the Samsons.

JUST WOW! first of all the rx900 pads have thinner foam, therefore I believe that makes a very good seal. The amount of bass that was gained is incredible. I'm pretty new here and in the headphone world, so i can't really describe it properly, but it's a lot, and it's good. Ohh boy, it's so good. A totally new headphone! :)

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #308 of 315
Just joined here, looking for a good headphone (and cheap!) to use on the pre-amplifier I just inherited (yamaha) which is awesome, I'm using with some ****tie phone I found here because my PC headset is a USB one and it's freaking awesome...

You think this samson is good to use on the pre-amplifier? What about the SR 950, you have any idea? Cuz its easier to find in my country that this 850.

I was about to buy the AKG K44 or the Sennheiser 201 or 202...

Just want a cheap phone that works fine on this pre-amplifier and thats it...

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #310 of 315
They are not bad headphones at all. Great detail and sound stage. Replace pads with velour and they get insanely comfortable. Their problem is the sharp, sibilant and overall thin sound signature. Have them for 3 years now. 

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #311 of 315
Sorry to dig up this topic, but today I had a revelation that i want to share. Just got a pair of JVC Ha-Rx900, and tried out swapping their pleather pads with the velours on the 850. Both sound signatures changed substantially, but i'm here to talk about the Samsons.

JUST WOW! first of all the rx900 pads have thinner foam, therefore I believe that makes a very good seal. The amount of bass that was gained is incredible. I'm pretty new here and in the headphone world, so i can't really describe it properly, but it's a lot, and it's good. Ohh boy, it's so good. A totally new headphone! :)

I too apologize for reopening an old topic, but I have to ask some questions:
1 - Are the OEM replaccement ear pads available for purchase (I'm thinking 3rd party replacement pads might alter the effect in the above mod)?

2 - How do the stock-out-of-the-boxes JVC Ha-Rx900 and the Samson SR850 compare?

3 - Has anyone compared the beyerdynamic DT880 and the Samson SR850 for listening to a stereo system?

Thank you for your replies, and thanks to Napilopez for the original post. It has been a big help and interesting reading!
Dave

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #312 of 315
3 - Has anyone compared the beyerdynamic DT880 and the Samson SR850 for listening to a stereo system?

Thank you for your replies, and thanks to Napilopez for the original post. It has been a big help and interesting reading!
Dave[/QUOTE]

I have not done any serious comparisons, but I have used both. The SR850 is similar to the Superlux HD668B, and I agree with Tyll Heysten's assessment of the Superlux: the highs are just too piercing for me. I still own the SR850, but I have not used it in a long time. On the other hand, the DT880 is still one of my favorite open (or semi-closed) headphones. My favorite open headphones are the HE400i, the DT880, and the HD6XX, usually in that order. I listen mostly to classical (all kinds), West African music, jazz, and some Italian popular music (Paolo Conte, Gino Paoli, Jovanotti, Zucchero). In my opinion, the DT880 is much better than the SR850.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #313 of 315
What is the market price of these cans? There are some versions of them in Aliexpress which are sold around 25-30 dollars. But there are also some versions which are sold around 50-60 dollars. That is approximately twice the price.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #315 of 315
Just to add a few cents from my experience.

Here's what I liked about SR850 :
- sound quality - fully acceptable. I enjoyed both communicating with my colleagues (working from home) and also watching movies, listening to music (light rock, ambient, world music, ethnic electronica) and gaming. SR850 has a pretty neutral sound.
- comfort - they were on the tight side at first but keeping them stretched on a pillow for some days helped a lot :) However, I have a small head, I'm a short and skinny person. Otherwise, they were just fine for all the years. No sweating at all. However, the top band was a total grease collector and also felt too warm on my head sometimes.
- open back. I need to hear people around me. They were just good enough - not totally isolated but also not fully leaking.

The negatives:
- build quality - they have served me well for about 3 years but now they are falling apart. Essentially, almost all the plastic pieces just broke at the places around screw holes. I shouldn't ask for more, I guess, for the price I paid ($40, if I remember correctly). I see some Amazon reviews where people had them broken in a much shorter time. So, yeah, don't expect them to last. The plastic just doesn't hold, it wears out with time or something. It was weird - they worked fine for 3 years and then suddenly during the last 6 months 3 out of 4 plastic pieces broke and now the headband is loose and banging around. I guess, it's better to remove it entirely instead of keeping that ugly broken looks.
- the cord is smearing my clothes. I cleaned it with alcohol and whatnot, and still, after a few days, I always notice a dark spot on my clothes at that exact location where the cord rubs at my chest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back