SA6 vs ER4p vs IE8
Aug 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lumpas

New Head-Fier
Hello.
I am going to buy a new pair of earphones.
My choise stands between Sleek Audio SA6, Etymotic ER4P or Sennheiser IE8.
Theese three because you can change cable on them when they break.

Ive seen some threads about theese earphones.
But everyone is from 2008.

So now I ask in 2010, wich one should I buy?
I can buy the IE8 and ER4p in Sweden, so if they should in any way break its easier to get help.
But I have to import the SA6 from UK. And I saw in some post that they broke easy ( but that was 2 years ago) So do they still break easy? 

And the ER4p isolate best, right?

And wich one does fit the ear best? I usually have problems with that. 

New ideas of earphones is warm welcomed. My maxbudget is 190 £ (inc. VAT and Shipping)
I must be able to buy them in a EU country and I must be able to remove the cable when it breaks! 

/ Lumpas 
( I apologize for all the spelling mistakes :)

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 20
I can't speak for the other 2, but I bought the IE8s 7 months ago and I never want to listen to anything else - I love them.

I was sold on the cable quality and the 2 year guarantee.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 20
They offer different things.  Also, I don't know what kind of sound that you prefer.  From an overall perspective, the IE8 is a better device, however both the ER4P and SA6 offer their own benefits.  Depending on what you want from the earphone, any one of these three (or others you have not mentioned) may be a best fit.  You just haven't told us what you want in terms of sound.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 20
Gaah, I wrote a nice text, but pressed clear by mistake :frowning2:
But here it goes again. 
I listen to almost everything, Pop, Metal, Techno, Rock, Reggae, and relaxing music like Enya ( whatever genre that is), 90's &80's :) 
i do NEVER listen to: Opera, RnB, Hip-Hop or Classical Music :) 

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 20
A wide range of genres requires a well balanced earphone.  The IE8 is actually decently balanced outside of a very wide midbass hump centered at 100Hz but extends to 1000Hz.  This can make it a bit warm and bass heavy, more so than some want.  EQing can fix it if you have it.  The bass knob can only affect 100Hz and down, so it's only half useful and better left turned up so the bottom end isn't cut off.  Without EQing, I would lean you to other options though, like the RE252 for example.  The RE252 is a very well balanced earphone.  New is $200, but a number of them have sold in the for sale section for around $140 which makes it a pretty stellar deal.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 20
Covering the IE8's bass dial with tape seriously cuts down the midbass hump for me, brings the midrange more forward, and increases the isolation. The down side is that the soundstage is not as large anymore.

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
A wide range of genres requires a well balanced earphone.  The IE8 is actually decently balanced outside of a very wide midbass hump centered at 100Hz but extends to 1000Hz.  This can make it a bit warm and bass heavy, more so than some want.  EQing can fix it if you have it.  The bass knob can only affect 100Hz and down, so it's only half useful and better left turned up so the bottom end isn't cut off.  Without EQing, I would lean you to other options though, like the RE252 for example.  The RE252 is a very well balanced earphone.  New is $200, but a number of them have sold in the for sale section for around $140 which makes it a pretty stellar deal.

Oh, I'm lucky i have EQ because I dont know so much about Hz and all that :D

Quote:
Covering the IE8's bass dial with tape seriously cuts down the midbass hump for me, brings the midrange more forward, and increases the isolation. The down side is that the soundstage is not as large anymore.

Tape doesnt look good, haha :D

But, if i take the IE8...
Does it isolate good? 
and do they fit easy in the ear? 

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
But, if i take the IE8...
Does it isolate good? 
and do they fit easy in the ear? 

They don't isolate too well unless you tape the bass dial (it acts like a variable air vent).

If you have small ear canals, look elsewhere.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 20
The IE8 made me stop looking for new IEMs. It sounds absolutely wonderful no matter what song I through at 'em.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Oh nice!

Everyone has persuaded me, i'll order a pair of the IE8 tomorrow! :D 

Look at Lucozade's thread for a counterpoint!

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #15 of 20
Keep in mind - there's a deal through Razordog right now for the IE8's priced at $399-$130 with coupon razordog130.  There's a full thread on this in the forum but I figured I'd let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back