S:flo2 impressions thread
Apr 24, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #3,196 of 3,682
Yes. I wrote to Amazon relating my poor experience with this product. Maybe others did, too. But even if Teclast or Mp4Nation products were continued to be distributed by the major U.S. outlets (Amazon, etc.), the customer-rating/feedback system would have -- by design -- "done them in" if they did not get their act together v. quickly. It may not matter as Mp4nation have their own USA store ... as frenchbat noted above, "Cheap is cheap, and the business model is obviously based on quantity more than quality. "

I think Telecast and mp4nation are still in the learning phase, and while I don't like being used as a guinea pig, it seems to be a common factor in the evolution of products in general. Telecast will undoubtedly be making a better successor to the Sflo2 in the future and overall quality will continue to improve. Sadly the prices will sky rocket as well due to this; that is to be expected.

I am having issues with my device straight out of the box and yet I am content because there is customer support, albeit it could always improve. Overall the Sflo2 does a wonderful job of reproducing music and I'm very happy with my purchase. :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #3,198 of 3,682
Delete what? lol did I offend you? I understand many people have had bad experiences with this company. Even I have things to complain about them. For me it just seems I tend to have a lot of bad luck in general with my electronics. BTW amazon is amazing for customer support, that is why I buy the load of stuff from them all the time, most recently my Dennon 5000's. I did notice the Sflo2 on amazon and it did have one really bad review. The review though wasn't regarding the Sflo:2 though; it went into detail on how bad Nationite's customer service is and how they supposedly try to get out of warranty support. I am by no means defending Nationite's lack of customer support for those who have had issues nor am I defending Telecast's lack of UI support for this device. I honestly think the UI is dumb, but the music the S:flo2 produces is just magical and for that I am willing to have some patience.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #3,199 of 3,682
I was lucky enough to win the Christmas giveaway of a sflo2. I agree the UI is not the smartest layout but hey we are gadget geeks so we can adopt. The sound quality is very good but I find the video even better...it will accept a variety of formats. It would be nice to see them improve the UI but I can live with it. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #3,200 of 3,682

Quote:
I was lucky enough to win the Christmas giveaway of a sflo2. I agree the UI is not the smartest layout but hey we are gadget geeks so we can adopt. The sound quality is very good but I find the video even better...it will accept a variety of formats. It would be nice to see them improve the UI but I can live with it. 

The Teclast UI/layout is light-years ahead of anything else I use except , perhaps, the Cowon iAudio U3.

Teclast can let the present design/UI persist for a few years ... IMO, they need to invest their effort on device reliability. Which is atrocious to say the least. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3,201 of 3,682
any word for another firmware update?

i hardly ever use this thing because of how slow and unresponsive the software is, i just dont have the patients to constantly have to wait and reset this thing so often just to hear some music.

Raz mentioned about symbols in music files and directories that could make the player crash but ive went through my files and theres no difference, it still crashes all the time. i feel ripped off...
mad.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #3,202 of 3,682
The current firmware is unlikely to get updated again. If it does, it is mostly likely minor bugfix. If you face consistent problem with certain files, I will suggest you rewrite all the iD3Tag using software like MP3Tag.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #3,203 of 3,682
any word for another firmware update?

i hardly ever use this thing because of how slow and unresponsive the software is, i just dont have the patients to constantly have to wait and reset this thing so often just to hear some music.

Raz mentioned about symbols in music files and directories that could make the player crash but ive went through my files and theres no difference, it still crashes all the time. i feel ripped off...
mad.gif

I agree with Clieos, try and clean your tags with IDTAG as I had a similar issue with my Sansa fuze taking forever to refresh after syncing music. If that doesn't solve your issue then something could very well be defective on the player. I have to send mine in to be replaced as the battery is defective along with other cosmetic damage straight from the box. Will be painful to be without this device lol. I can live with my Fuze & iPhone though. Consider trying to rerip some of your CDs in flac and then load them onto your Sflo2 and see if you still have the same issue.

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #3,204 of 3,682
Just as counterpoint ... my own S:flo 2 has worked flawlessly (albeit with the understood interface clunk) for a year or so, now. I use it every day for at least 5 to 8 hours a day in very harsh (dust, dirt, heavy lifting) outdoor conditions (rides in the pocket of my flame retard cover alls along with my Arrow amp); the backside is all beat to hell but the front side, the glass, is completely scratch free believe it or not as I've used the leather carrying case religiously. I had occasional crashes with early firmware but now it's pretty dang solid (with latest firmware); the only thing that really crashes it is when I listen while charging and forget to stop playback before I disconnect the charge.

If mine *did* happen to break? I'd buy another one immediately. The sound quality (especially line out to the Arrow amp) is stupidly good.

Personally, I'm looking forward to an audio-only device from Teclast without the touch screen as I could care less about the video functionality (though the display quality is quite nice). I think if Teclast delivers on such a future device, maintaining the awesome dual DAC architecture and sound quality of the S:flo 2 while simplifying and solidifying the interface, then I'm sure folks will buy it like crazy.

Rock it.

.j 

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #3,205 of 3,682

Quote:
The current firmware is unlikely to get updated again. If it does, it is mostly likely minor bugfix. If you face consistent problem with certain files, I will suggest you rewrite all the iD3Tag using software like MP3Tag.

thanks for the advice Clieos. ill give that a try because i really want to enjoy my S:Flo2 instead of being frustrated with it so often.

sorry everyone for getting so heated on my last post, this player can really get to me sometimes.
frown.gif

May 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #3,206 of 3,682
I have been using my s:flo2 for a month paired with arrow 3g and um3x and very happy with it. The sound is big, spacious, excellent detailed bass without EQ through line out. It beats my sony x and iphone 4 by a big marigin in terms of SQ. Arrow settings are; bass:1 gain:1 cross:1 and imp:0. This setup can beautifully drive both of my dt880 and dt990 at gain 1 at 80-85 percent volume on the arrow. But I like dt990 with sony x and arrow more because of the fatiguing highs. I was planning to buy a tube amp for the beyers using s:flo2 as a dap/dac. Does anyone have any suggestions.

May 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #3,207 of 3,682
I've been using my S:Flo2 for about 6 months and I'm satisfied with it. The HO is pretty good and a few days ago I got a TTVJ Slim portable amp to pair with the LO. It sounds great with my m50 but I'm looking forward to try it with my w1000x when I come home to Sweden(I'm enjoying the sun in Turkey at the moment) :). TTVJ slim and S:flo2 have similiar size dimensions, a great combo. But I don't take it outside much. The HO is enough for when I go outside with my IEMs, like Radius DDM or RE262 which I both love with S:Flo2

May 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #3,208 of 3,682

Quote:
Just as counterpoint ... my own S:flo 2 has worked flawlessly (albeit with the understood interface clunk) for a year or so, now. I use it every day for at least 5 to 8 hours a day in very harsh (dust, dirt, heavy lifting) outdoor conditions (rides in the pocket of my flame retard cover alls along with my Arrow amp); the backside is all beat to hell but the front side, the glass, is completely scratch free believe it or not as I've used the leather carrying case religiously. I had occasional crashes with early firmware but now it's pretty dang solid (with latest firmware); the only thing that really crashes it is when I listen while charging and forget to stop playback before I disconnect the charge.

If mine *did* happen to break? I'd buy another one immediately. The sound quality (especially line out to the Arrow amp) is stupidly good.

Personally, I'm looking forward to an audio-only device from Teclast without the touch screen as I could care less about the video functionality (though the display quality is quite nice). I think if Teclast delivers on such a future device, maintaining the awesome dual DAC architecture and sound quality of the S:flo 2 while simplifying and solidifying the interface, then I'm sure folks will buy it like crazy.

Rock it.

.j 

s1rrah: If you were not monetarily bribed or under duress (e.g. you or your family held at axepoint by ruffians from Teclast/HoD/Nationite/Mp4Nation :wink: -- then what can one say? Wow! IMO, an "outlier". But what do I know?
I agree about caring less for video (or ebook, photo, dictionary) features. I think the upcoming Fiio X3 may be ideal. Hopefully, it's a reliable and durable unit to boot.

May 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #3,209 of 3,682
I never had any issues w/ my Sflo2 for the nearly half a year I had mine either.  Sorry to say, if there are hardware problems, better you than me.   

May 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #3,210 of 3,682

[size=11.5pt]Quote:[/size]
[size=11.5pt]Originally Posted by[/size] [size=11.5pt]Anaxilus[/size][size=11.5pt] /img/forum/go_quote.gif[/size]
I never had any issues w/ my Sflo2 for the nearly half a year I had mine either.  Sorry to say, if there are hardware problems, better you than me.   
[size=11.5pt]No lock-ups or software glitches? How many hours/day or week did you use your unit?[/size]
[size=11.5pt]BTW: I got my 3rd unit back from HoD after much prodding on my part and a whopping $18 USD S/H charge. They orig. said $10, and then sent me a PayPal $ request for $18. When I asked why the extra $, they said because it was "extensively damaged" ... which is absurd since they literally told me in their original response to my April 22 query about repair status... "It's your lucky day, I actually received a new device 2 hours [sic] ago. They could not fix the player as it was too damaged, so they exchanged it for a new T51.Tina will send you money request later today." I replied, saying fine but wanted to know why the orig unit failed. No reply, but I think my demand for answers got them upset ... they probably thought something like: "Who does this fella think he is asking all these questions? IAC, this idiot has no choice. We got his unit and we're in China so no USPS.gov to worry about. Slap on an extra $8 ... and uh, pick me up a carton of Pall Malls on your way back from lunch break, Tina."[/size]
[size=11.5pt]My experience is amazing ... the OEM product manuf is unreliable, and both HoD and Mp4Nation stiff me (the latter[/size][size=11.5pt] still [/size][size=11.5pt]has two of my units!)[/size]
[size=11.5pt](Anyway ... I'll post on this and some other interesting things in that dedicated thread I created)[/size]
[size=11.5pt]Anaxilus wrote: [/size][size=11.5pt]"Sorry to say, if there are hardware problems, better you than me."[/size]
[size=11.5pt]I like your Ayn Rand philosophy![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back