S:flo2 impressions thread
Apr 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #3,166 of 3,682

Quote:
I'd get the Arrow myself. I don't think from reading the RX is any better, just sounds a little different in presentation, but with the Arrow you get so much flexibility with things like the bass boost, which I can personally attest sounds MUCH better than bumping up the bass via the EQ controls on the player, and the 4G also has a treble boost and the other cool stuff. The Arrow is also crazy small as well, super thin, super light.

x2 on the Arrow bass boost destroying the S:flo 2 EQ ... best thing ever was flattening the S:flo 2 eq and enabling the Arrow's bass ... pretty stunning low end for sure. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #3,167 of 3,682
Yeah. I went to a Meet last weekend and set the player completely flat. Used the Arrow. Came home. Didn't want to use the EQ again, and this is with my liking it before. Once you've heard better, hard to want to go back!

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #3,168 of 3,682
Thank you very much for the advise. From reading those reviews this amp seems just what I needed and I went ahead and ordered it. Not to mention its a dual combo DAC and Amp and is up there in sound quality with pico slim and arrow but at a price savings of $130+. This amp is definitely underrated and I think it will gain more popularity soon here on headfi. I'm always looking forward to companies that push the envelope and in turn we reap the benefits of cheaper prices for hi end equipment (competition drives prices down :wink: )

Quote:

go get leckerton UHA-4, almost half the price, and as slim as arrow. seems underrated but very promising: http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-4/

people who have both arrow and UHA-4 says the sound quality is somehow comparable: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536982/leckerton-audio-slimline-uha-4

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #3,169 of 3,682

Quote:
Thank you very much for the advise. From reading those reviews this amp seems just what I needed and I went ahead and ordered it. Not to mention its a dual combo DAC and Amp and is up there in sound quality with pico slim and arrow but at a price savings of $130+. This amp is definitely underrated and I think it will gain more popularity soon here on headfi. I'm always looking forward to companies that push the envelope and in turn we reap the benefits of cheaper prices for hi end equipment (competition drives prices down :wink: )

you're welcome
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #3,170 of 3,682

Quote:

go get leckerton UHA-4, almost half the price, and as slim as arrow. seems underrated but very promising: http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-4/

people who have both arrow and UHA-4 says the sound quality is somehow comparable: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536982/leckerton-audio-slimline-uha-4

Actually the Leckerton is 50% thicker than the Arrow.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #3,171 of 3,682
Hi everyone.
I've had a weird series of crashes with my SFlo2 lately and I was wondering if the available memory capacity could be involved, so I have one question :

Is there a minimum available memory space needed for the firmware to work properly on the SFlo2 ? Say something like 1 or 2 Gb, reserved to write system file or something like that.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #3,172 of 3,682
1 or 2 GB should be fine. If it starts to crash too often, it might indicate some system file corruption. The better thing to do is to back up the files, rewrite the firmware then format it, restore the file back then you are good to go again.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #3,173 of 3,682
Yeah I was thinking about that. Funny thing is that the crash are happening after a 1 hour listening session or so, and then even after reset it's a no-go. But after some time of rest it's fine again for a one hour session. That's why I was wondering if it could linked to a lack of space for system file, maybe a temp file or something.

I'll try to rewrite the firmware when I have some time, see if that solved the problem. Thanks anyway Clieos

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #3,174 of 3,682
Hi guys, happy owners of this great music player. 

Could you please answer my question :

What is the file transfer speed of SFlo2's internal memory , especially the 16Gb model ? I need to know this for sure, to decide whatever player shall I buy, the 16Gb model or the 8Gb (if the USB transfere speed is too slow). 

I am sorry If this question has been answered many times before, but the thread has grown too big .. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #3,175 of 3,682
Transfer speed is limited by the slowest component in the whole chain, which in this case it is probably the USB. FYI, USB2.0 is about 57MB/s max, but it usually doesn't run that fast.

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #3,176 of 3,682

Quote:
Funny thing is that the crash are happening after a 1 hour listening session or so, and then even after reset it's a no-go. But after some time of rest it's fine again for a one hour session. That's why I was wondering if it could linked to a lack of space for system file, maybe a temp file or something.

For me, increasing crash frequency were prelude to total device failure. This was with a Teclast T-51 (which died) , but two separate S:Flo2's, that also died, had major "crash" issues as well.
Be sure you have backup of any important flies stored in the device's internal Flash. If/when the device fails, you'll mostly likely lose them (along with the player, which be stuck in RMA from then on)
Good luck (you're probably gonna need it)!

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3,177 of 3,682
Thanks for the heads-up, I reinstalled the player's firmware yesterday and it seems fine now. But I'll keep an eye on it, and I have to solve another problem that just appeared : the player is significantly slower since the firmware rewrite and format. I'm wondering if the cluster size can have that much influence on internal speed. I'll format again to see if that's the case. 

Quote:
For me, increasing crash frequency were prelude to total device failure. This was with a Teclast T-51 (which died) , but two separate S:Flo2's, that also died, had major "crash" issues as well.
Be sure you have backup of any important flies stored in the device's internal Flash. If/when the device fails, you'll mostly likely lose them (along with the player, which be stuck in RMA from then on)
Good luck (you're probably gonna need it)!

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #3,178 of 3,682

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up, I reinstalled the player's firmware yesterday and it seems fine now. But I'll keep an eye on it, and I have to solve another problem that just appeared : the player is significantly slower since the firmware rewrite and format. I'm wondering if the cluster size can have that much influence on internal speed. I'll format again to see if that's the case. 

You need to redo your settings after the firmware update.  Scroll speed, UI, etc.  All that stuff that should have been tweaked when you first got it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #3,179 of 3,682
Hi Anaxilus,

I did that of course, but thanks anyway. Still there was a little something that wasn't quite right, so I reformated with the original cluster setting (8kb) and I'll see if that fixes it. Anyway I need to make long run tests to see if my crash is still there or not.

Quote:
You need to redo your settings after the firmware update.  Scroll speed, UI, etc.  All that stuff that should have been tweaked when you first got it.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #3,180 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi Anaxilus,

I did that of course, but thanks anyway. Still there was a little something that wasn't quite right, so I reformated with the original cluster setting (8kb) and I'll see if that fixes it. Anyway I need to make long run tests to see if my crash is still there or not.

Cool.  Worst case would be a hardware fault related to heat.  Tends to be the case of electronics that fail over a period of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back